Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Don't know how you get 'dead in the water' for the PAC though.

I also want to know how renovations to the Citrus Bowl went from $50 million to $175 million.

I'll admit it was a bit extreme. I truly believe the PAC has the best chance of making any sort of progress. That being said I think it is a huge mistake to lump together all three projects as a "package deal". It really speaks volumes of the overall problem in this city. For the life of me I dont understand how we can take all three projects, each which has failed at least once, and try to make them all come to fruition at the same time. This city knows no moderation. I just think that in our rush to become a major city we often get ahead of ourselves in the imagination department. Dale hit the nail on the head, package a better product a we'll see. Bad front office management or not, the Magic suck, period. And thats coming from the biggest Magic fan in the world. Imagine why the rest of this transient population wouldn't support this. On top of that, I've said it before, the Magic get a better offer and can legally take it- Their out of here. No loyalty. So now what. An arena that willl either sell out concerts or not, regardless of size or amenities. A citrus bowl, with two bowl games a year and the Florida Classic. Hardly enough to invest $175 million in, IMHO. Again, sorry about the rant but come on already. This city needs to learn how to manage it's growing pains without trying to jump from point a to point c without stoping at b.

^ another problem w/this city is no Inter-Regional hindsight on these projects. for example from the article: "It's going to be the city's facilities, but we're writing a big check," county Commissioner Bill Segal said. What kind of narrow minded thinking is that??? Doesn't this moron realize that the City residents are also County residents? And exactly WHOSE check does he think he's writing? I'm sick of the Arena/Citrus bowl debate...just implode the two and build an all inclusive massive concrete structure that can accomitdate football, baseball, basketball, and the friggin' ballet all in one night! I'm sure the greedy hoteliers on IDrive can persuade their bedroom buddy Crotty to cough up some unincorporated County land to construct it on...right next to his palace, the Orange County Convention Center!

Why do you think that is Dale?

Other than prior hatred, your guess is as good as mine, tm.

Seriously, we know the County controls the funding source in question. And we know they have the authority to build a PAC, arena (as well as their offices) in outer Bithlo, if they please.

Therefore, since they appear to be leaning towards building said grandiose projects downtown (when they don't have to), shouldn't they be getting a little love ?

Mind you, I'm not holding my breath.

I have to agree, even if it is our neighbors wife (thanks Dale). The bowl games are either going to stay because they like Orlando, or their gone. I don't really see much grey area. Besides, they put up with that peice of crap stadium up until now. So, IMO, scrap plans for citrus bowl and lure the Marlins. In the end the team won't want to move further than they have to for financial reasons. I just don't know where you would put a stadium??? Even though it would never happen. PBL&T would be a great location. Despite the fact that it's too small.

• 1 month later...

Center for arts, Florida style?

Barton Myers, chosen as architect, wants a building that reflects Orlando.

Elizabeth Maupin | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted January 25, 2006

An architect who says he's concerned about "the soul and the spirit" of the city has been selected to design a performing-arts center for downtown Orlando.

At a news conference this morning, leaders of the Orlando Performing Arts Center intend to announce their choice of Barton Myers Associates as architect and the New York firm Ehrenkrantz Eckstut & Kuhn Architects as the proposed project's master planner.

from Orlando Sentinel, 1/25/2006

I think the "blending in" comment has more to do with a sense of urbanity, streetscapes, activated uses at ground level, etc... rather than an explosive chrome toaster icon (LA's Disney); let's just hope they deliver what they promise.

Hey now, I like the "chrome toaster icon" as well as Chicago's "exploded pop can" also by Gehry... however, I do like what they have to offer.

Hey now, I like the "chrome toaster icon" as well as Chicago's "exploded pop can" also by Gehry... however, I do like what they have to offer.

Have you seen that chrome toaster in person? DT LA desperately needed some decent urban mixed-use infill in this space and this monstrousity only brings attention to how pitifully desolate a place it is. Gehry just doesn't care. His MIT Stata Center makes the railroad tracks across the street look good, at least they adhere to some urban principles. His only work of "genius" is the Guggenheim Bilbao but that has much to do with its placement aside a body of water--a place where celebrity architects such as Gehry should showcase their works since there is little else to interact with.

• 4 weeks later...

As much as I'd hate it because it'd be further away for me personally to go to the games, if they do move down there it'd be a very smart move from a business perspective. The Magic lose $10 million + a year, and they need to find a way to fill seats and increase revenue. If locals aren't coming out to support the team (which they're not), then they need to see if they can tap into the millions of visitors our city has each year.

Next to the convention center they'd be able to capitalize on tourists by the truckload. Think about it -- the majority of visitors aren't going to come up to downtown. But if there's an impressive huge arena within walking (or bus) distance from where they're staying, it's pretty likely tourists will attend games, which they aren't now. The team will be selling more merch (more first-time people at games), creating more fans around the country. The arena could have restaurants, shops, etc. all along the exterior that could be open every day, greatly increasing the revenue the arena could generate since it wouldn't just be on game days ... from a financial perspective, it'd be a smart move. Downtown just can't offer that kind of accessibility and additional revenue opportunities right now. Maybe in 10 years, but not now.

Not to mention, having an arena in that corridor would add a massive new entertainment option to attract conventions. Those things factor in when large conventions are deciding where to take their shows. Honestly, an arena next to the convention center makes sense on a lot of levels. Yes, it'd be a step backward for downtown specifically, but it'd be a step forward for the big picture growth of the city.

And -- it guarantees the team will stay in Orlando. Whatever's needed to make sure that happens, I'm for.

Edited by camstrang

I don't know if this has occured to you, but a few tourists paying to get into a Magic game doesn't count as "support". Unless you want the Magic to be the away team every single night in their own arena. Putting an arena on I-Drive is simply ludicrous. They could build something similar to an arena for conventions, but not for the Magic to play in.