Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Yeah, the Magic will cover all cost overruns... and let me guess... they were going to make sure there is no way in hell there was a cost overrun before they got going???

Exactly. Nothing is finalized yet though. I have not seen the designs personally but hear the tower is being modified. I hope they keep it as it is the most striking element to me personally.

As for Citrus Bowl and Florida Citrus Sports, I spoke to someone from there and he told me that Notre Dame is to play 3 consecutive years from 2011-2013, but the opponents haven't been finalized yet. I did not know that.

Also, the ACC Championship is moving to Tampa. They are signing a 3-Year contract. After that, we are going to try and lure them over here for a contract period as well.

exciting stuff.

• 1 year later...

The field conditions were an embarrassment for the two bowl games.   The $1.6 million synthetic grass they are putting in next year won't come soon enough.

Forget the Citrus Bowl. It totally is at the point of disrepair. They should have taken that proposal more seriously about a year ago by one of the Orange County Commisioners to build a retractble roof stadium as part of the convention center. We actually do have a lot of events for it already and the Jags are primed to move to Orlando...I think a football stadium is the one thing that doesn't really matter if it's downtown. It's not like the Citrus Bowl location (even refurbished) will do much for downtown business.

^From an outsider's perspective, I definitely agree with that notion. I went to the Capital One bowl in 2006 (I believe that was the year)... After leaving the game, I can't say I felt very safe walking away from the stadium. We had to walk through very sketchy people and areas to where we were being picked up. Every other part of Orlando I've been to though is nice...

The Citrus Bowl is in the absolute worst part of town. It needs to be abandoned or rebuilt in a better part of Orlando. Its an absolute discrace.

It is less than a mile from the Central Business District. They are going to be making significant improvements to the streetscape of Church Street in 2010. That should help things, a bit. The Events Center will be completed by the Fall, which should help to spur development as well. The Citrus Bowl may very well need to be torn down and rebuilt, but I do not endorse moving it out of the neighborhood.

It is less than a mile from the Central Business District. They are going to be making significant improvements to the streetscape of Church Street in 2010. That should help things, a bit. The Events Center will be completed by the Fall, which should help to spur development as well. The Citrus Bowl may very well need to be torn down and rebuilt, but I do not endorse moving it out of the neighborhood.

Rebuild it on the old arena site once the new one is open!

In other news, Orlando was also left off the list of proposed host cities for the US World Cup bid. Anyone care to venture a guess as to WHY? rolleyes.gif

FCS is just a dismal organization that has become nothing but a drain on the local economy. Time to disband that pack of looney tunes and let the real business men take it from here*

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that stuck out to me from some of the ariel photos of the new Arena is that the Arena and the Citrus Bowl make a straight east-west line running between Church Street to the north and South Street to the south (and beyond for the Citrus Bowl).

I would think a corridor basically connecting these two facilities would be a great solution for the area.

The corridor I'm picturing would be a park - with the obvious focus on recreation and physical fitness. So I mean fields, maybe some basketball courts, well lit paths, maybe a skate park, etc. Bookcased by our athletic venues.

Obviously I've put no thought into this and couldn't even tell you what part of Parramore that this would replace or the social implications.

The truth is, Parramore actually has a well built, albeit small, business district that could be turned into a nice shopping district akin to say, Thornton Park, if it were safer and thriving. This is almost exactly halfway between the new arena and Citrus Bowl. Wouldn't it be great if this could revitalize into an entertainment district serving the area, and the Church Street corridor build up to serve the neighborhood?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Citrus Bowl to add upscale club section

The project at the 74-year-old stadium is expected to be completed by the end of next month.

An upscale club is under construction in the luxury suites section of the Citrus Bowl, Florida Citrus Sports executive officer Steve Hogan told the Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday.

The Skyline Club, replacing six of the 30 private luxury boxes, will accommodate 100 people who purchase a season-ticket package that includes admittance to every stadium event, including the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1 and the Florida Classic in November 2011. A seat for the year will cost $1,500.

It's the first club seating in the stadium's 74-year history.

Citrus Bowl to add upscale club section

Edited by DeepEyez

• 1 month later...

Florida Classic a mainstay in Orlando, thankfully

There is a view from inside the luxurious Amway Center that stares across a row of broccoli-topped trees and ends at the dilapidated Citrus Bowl.

It is a bittersweet sight of unfulfilled promises for a promising venue.

Talks of the " Triple Crown for Downtown" have long since cooled off after Amway Center was completed. The fledgling economy all but depleted funding for the performing arts center and Citrus Bowl renovations. And with each passing day, the Citrus Bowl is losing multi-million dollar opportunities for the city.

Florida Classic a mainstay in Orlando, thankfully

Edited by DeepEyez

• 1 month later...