Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

55 minutes ago, Xander said:

I can't even imagine how  insane it would be to have Orlando host a Super Bowl, but I doubt that will ever happen in the history of ever.  Still drives me nuts that we could've had the Bucs and basically sat on their hands. 

You know what i've absolutely never heard anyone mention trying to do in Orlando, though? An MLB team. Why is someone not at least trying to lure TB to this market? It would absolutely be a good market for baseball and likely could build  a stadium/parking garage in the area of CampyLand.  It'll likely be caught up in red tape, i'm sure, but i'm surprised nobody has even so much as proposed it. 

Florida hates MLB. Miami and TB have had at times really good teams and the most they can lure is 10,000-15,000 people per game. The other day, the Rays-Twins attendance was less than 6,000. Embarrassing. I know Orlando supports its pro teams pretty well but Rob Manfred has absolutely no evidence MLB can survive here, what with the terrible examples in our state’s 2 most populated and high profile regions. To be fair, most cities actually are suffering stagnant baseball attendance. So this isn’t a unique problem. Still, I’m sure MLB will look to Portland or Vegas or Vancouver or Charlotte for its next 2 franchises. Orlando will never get an MLB team.

Edited by Uncommon

Florida hates MLB. Miami and TB have had at times really good teams and the most they can lure is 10,000-15,000 people per game. The other day, the Rays-Twins attendance was less than 6,000. Embarrassing. I know Orlando supports its pro teams pretty well but Rob Manfred has absolutely no evidence MLB can survive here, what with the terrible examples in our state’s 2 most populated and high profile regions. To be fair, most cities actually are suffering stagnant baseball attendance. So this isn’t a unique problem. Still, I’m sure MLB will look to Portland or Vegas or Vancouver or Charlotte for its next 2 franchises. Orlando will never get an MLB team.

Portland, Vegas, Vancouver, and Charlotte make much less sense than Orlando for MLB (or any other major league sport for that matter). The Orlando TV market, which is the only market that matters, eclipses those other markets, along with Austin, Nashville, and Sacramento or any of the other mid-tier cities which get mentioned when teams start talking about relocation. (https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/public%20factsheets/tv/2018-19-dma-ranker.pdf ). Orlando’s proximity to Tampa shouldn’t make a difference. I think it’s a matter or political will, more than anything, and Central Florida political leadership seems to have lost interest for myriad reasons. However, claiming an oversaturated Florida market is absolute bollocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jliv said:

Portland, Vegas, Vancouver, and Charlotte make much less sense than Orlando for MLB (or any other major league sport for that matter). The Orlando TV market, which is the only market that matters, eclipses those other markets, along with Austin, Nashville, and Sacramento or any of the other mid-tier cities which get mentioned when teams start talking about relocation. (https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/public%20factsheets/tv/2018-19-dma-ranker.pdf ). Orlando’s proximity to Tampa shouldn’t make a difference. I think it’s a matter or political will, more than anything, and Central Florida political leadership seems to have lost interest for myriad reasons. However, claiming an oversaturated Florida market is absolute bollocks.

In 2018, who were the bottom dwellers of the MLB? St. Pete and Miami.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193664/regular-season-home-attendance-of-major-league-baseball-teams-in-2010/

So far in 2019:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

(or as Herman’s Hermits would croon, “...second verse, same as the first...”)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

We should also note that, of the minor league teams in Florida, only Jacksonville (the Jumbo Shrimp!) have made it out of single A ball and that none of the Florida teams are in AAA.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2018/09/17/2018-affiliated-attendance-by-average/

The Grapefruit League in Florida (MLB spring training) has also been declining for several years as cities in the state no longer feel compelled to attract retirees by subsidizing palatial stadiums.

26 minutes ago, jliv said:

Whoops, not Vancouver. I totally meant Montreal. Anyway, Orlando isn’t even in the discussion. Market size matters to a degree. So does population. So does proximity to other markets. So does exposure. So does viability. So do politics. I mean, there’s a hundred different factors. Whatever those are, Orlando doesn’t meet them. All the cities I previously mentioned have MUCH greater chances of getting a team than Orlando. In fact, MLB’s commissioner has actually mentioned those cities in regards to expansion or relocation. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s never uttered the word Orlando in his entire life. Fine with me, because while I do enjoy baseball to a degree, it would absolutely fail here. And we don’t need that negative press.

Here locally, I think one could make the case (strictly anecdotally but I would love to see it researched) that more people showed interest in whether our college teams could advance to the CWS than how the MLB teams are faring.

I can say I have no problem with that at all...

Charge On!

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Updates on Lorna Doone Park redo:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-lorna-doone-groundbreaking-20190604-7dl35hc7ffax7po56u6u6jbwsy-story.html?outputType=amp

“When it’s done, it’s going to be on par with Eola Park”  - Buddy Dyer 

From the Sentinel 

Excited for this! The entire area around CWS needs a lot of work. This is a great start!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando City Council approves $60 million in improvements for restrooms, concessions and a huge neon sign which reads, “HANK’S FAVORITE STADIUM”.

https://www.wesh.com/amp/article/orlando-city-council-approves-60-million-for-improvements-to-camping-world-stadium/28076340

From WESH

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 2

At least they agree with me!  I've been saying the restrooms & concessions get a failing grade.

The east and west concourses will also be connected.

This was obnoxious the first year of the Pro Bowl.  My seats were the very first seats West of the player tunnel.  I entered at the SE corner and was forced to walk around the entire stadium counterclockwise to the SW corner.  We went upstairs first and found out they don't connect unless you climb over seats, which it was too busy to do right before kickoff.

I worked around it the 2 years after that, but it was a rude surprise the first year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It seems that Florida’s largest football stadium, The Swamp in Gainesville, is suffering from many of the same deficiencies as Hank’s favorite, the Citrus Bowl.

UF AD Scott Stricklin observes that seating, concessions and restrooms at Ben Hill Griffin all need updating:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-news-0804-20190803-syxv6ccoq5cwfmawytrpkclaxa-story.html

From the Sentinel 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001039287/article/20-pro-bowl-returns-to-orlando-for-fourth-straight-year

NFL Pro Bowl is to remain in Orlando at least one more year. This is awesome. I haven’t gone to the Pro Bowl because the weather is typically gross in January but I will definitely go this year. I hope CWS’s $60M in improvements makes the experience a bit more enjoyable, with added paved parking and better aesthetics.

Camping World will never be confused with a real NFL stadium, but it can at least not be an embarrassment to the city of Orlando when out-of-towners visit.

On 8/3/2019 at 7:15 PM, spenser1058 said:

It seems that Florida’s largest football stadium, The Swamp in Gainesville, is suffering from many of the same deficiencies as Hank’s favorite, the Citrus Bowl.

UF AD Scott Stricklin observes that seating, concessions and restrooms at Ben Hill Griffin all need updating:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-news-0804-20190803-syxv6ccoq5cwfmawytrpkclaxa-story.html

From the Sentinel 

not sure b/c I haven't sat there since like when Galen Hall was coach, but the East stands had the big porcelain urinals; was Galen Hall a coach?  My bad for assuming so  just because Emmitt ran for a lot and Kerwin was a good QB and Ricky was a good WR and Oliver was good at tackling.  All kidding aside, he was a pathetic joke of a coach.

2 hours ago, HankStrong said:

That article is pretty vague and speak in very broad terms.  Are there plans or a timeline yet?

It seems, even though $60 million is a lot of money, that this is not any major work. The only structural work would seem to be connecting the E/W concourses. Other than that it is putting lipstick on a pig- update some bathrooms and concession areas. Since the stadium sits empty so often this work can be knocked out quickly. The article says "a construction management firm will be hired this year and renovation could be completed as early as 2020." although they don't say early or late 2020. Since all this work was designed (and cut) in the last round of improvements they are already ahead of the game and may only need to tweak the plans they already had in  place.

Pure guess- they wait until after the bowl games and NFL All Pro game and knock this out March-Sept next year to be ready for NCAA kickoff. But that is only a guess. 

21 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

It seems, even though $60 million is a lot of money, that this is not any major work. The only structural work would seem to be connecting the E/W concourses. Other than that it is putting lipstick on a pig- update some bathrooms and concession areas. Since the stadium sits empty so often this work can be knocked out quickly. The article says "a construction management firm will be hired this year and renovation could be completed as early as 2020." although they don't say early or late 2020. Since all this work was designed (and cut) in the last round of improvements they are already ahead of the game and may only need to tweak the plans they already had in  place.

Pure guess- they wait until after the bowl games and NFL All Pro game and knock this out March-Sept next year to be ready for NCAA kickoff. But that is only a guess. 

They're also putting in permanent seating in the north end, corner suites up top and in the north end as well. I saw renderings a while back, but I can't seem to find them. I'll see what I can find.

Update: found them on WFTV.com. Pictures below are the north end of the stadium.

cws%204_1536334775253.jpg_12887667_ver1.cws%203_1536334774768.jpg_12887666_ver1.cws%206_1536334777848.jpg_12887669_ver1.cws%205_1536334776319.jpg_12887668_ver1.

Edited by Xander

9 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Thanks Xander. Even better than advertised. I still think it is not a lot of structural work so it should be fairly quick to complete.

Yeah, I don't think it'll take a tremendous amount of time, maybe a few months for the entire project to be done. The cast concrete process they used for the rest of the stadium made the entire assembly remarkably fast, so I don't think this will take a long time. I haven't heard any info about the changes to the parking areas, though, which is also in the plans and really interests me.

They're also putting in permanent seating in the north end, corner suites up top and in the north end as well. I saw renderings a while back, but I can't seem to find them. I'll see what I can find.

Update: found them on WFTV.com. Pictures below are the north end of the stadium.
cws%25204_1536334775253.jpg_12887667_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg&key=86ed309964fbf7ccaf0bce184d2f777526c0662ea75d3b1dd1f9079c8cb96dd6cws%25203_1536334774768.jpg_12887666_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg&key=139ee8e713462d20c7c4ec7235ce040d7ffe0971d8cdbf501bf9c0c2926cf5e0cws%25206_1536334777848.jpg_12887669_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg&key=96f07c707cb6fb203a20b01a2182f6a01e734fb8c5d7179cb78859ffafd54427cws%25205_1536334776319.jpg_12887668_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg&key=46e8edfa7480b842a21653f2b2e568712f1744de0f169d8fc70eef9fab36a545

Those people in the new section look so lonely.
  • Haha 2