Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

43 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

No point in building it right if there’s no promise of an NFL team. Until there’s some discussion about moving a team here, Orlando should just keep the status quo and continue to use minor upgrades to lure events here.

Now if the NFL wants to expand or gives us assurances that a team will move here, then sure, construct a billion dollar stadium. But short of that, it’s a gigantic waste of money.

FYI IMO nothing sports-related should be on I-Drive. That’s not Orlando, not really. It needs to be somewhere in or near the CBD.

Given a significant portion of I-Drive is in Orlando as is the city’s largest taxpayer (Universal), that’s an interesting assumption.

Even more fun is the city’s incumbent mayor briefly went to jail while he was attempting to annex land in the area into the city but former OC mayor Rich Crotty outmaneuverwd him.

I continue to be amazed at the belief in this board that anything in Orange County (of which Orlando is not even the largest part) that isn’t downtown is somehow not real.

This despite the fact that major infrastructure, job creation and educational fasciities have been decentralized here for virtually the 175 years the county has existed (which, btw, is 30 years longer than the city).

Fascinating. I suppose that meme has been spreading for some time. After all, our very own Bob Snow decided that was also true in Vegas and ignored the Strip in favor of investing in that city’s downtown. That bet didn’t pay off, either.

We really must find a way to embrace all of the region, not just a very small part.

Edited by spenser1058

53 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

No point in building it right if there’s no promise of an NFL team. Until there’s some discussion about moving a team here, Orlando should just keep the status quo and continue to use minor upgrades to lure events here.

Now if the NFL wants to expand or gives us assurances that a team will move here, then sure, construct a billion dollar stadium. But short of that, it’s a gigantic waste of money.

I don't agree with this at all.  I also don't think a $10B NFL grade stadium is needed.  I think somewhere in the middle is fine.

Major upgrades to lure events.  Not a full-blown multi-billion dollar NFL stadium.  There is a middle ground.

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I don't agree with this at all.  I also don't think a $10B NFL grade stadium is needed.  I think somewhere in the middle is fine.

Major upgrades to lure events.  Not a full-blown multi-billion dollar NFL stadium.  There is a middle ground.

What’s your definition of major upgrades? I think the $200M upgrade we got a few years back was pretty major, and after all of that, CWS is still a dump. How many more of those do we need to have a semi-decent stadium? Might as well just put that toward a $1B new, state-of-the-art NFL quality stadium as opposed to trying different shades of lipstick on the pig, but only if we get an NFL promise.

Otherwise, perform the $60M upgrade and call it a day. And if more funding becomes available later, perhaps do some more minor improvements here and there. But putting a significant amount of money into this stadium in the heart of a blighted hood is not a wise investment, especially if it won’t be in use often enough to justify the amount.

Edited by Uncommon

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Given a significant portion of I-Drive is in Orlando as is the city’s largest taxpayer (Universal), that’s an interesting assumption.

We really must find a way to embrace all of the region, not just a very small part.

I think you know what I mean Spenser. This doesn’t have to do with city limits. The tourist part of town is just that: for tourists. When friends are town and ask me to show them Orlando, that does not include I-Drive or anything touristy. Often, they want to see the “real Orlando” anyway, not the plastic parts. Putting a stadium on International will cater to the out-of-towners, not the locals who don’t want to sit in 45 minutes of traffic on I-4 to be surrounded by Europeans and Canadians with fanny packs and Hawaiian shirts.

Edited by Uncommon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

In 2003-04 one of the major initiatives of newly elected Mayor Dyer was to create a Sports and Entertainment District. To the east is the DPAC to the west is CW- in between you've got Amway and Exploria. If things go as planned in the next 2-3 years you'll also have the S+ED and Under I4.

My point is this has been a long term, constantly improving plan that, although taking a long time, seems to be going as planned.  If all the above items come to fruition, plus all of CSP, plus the current planned slate of development west of 4 is it so hard to believe private money may come in and continue developing west toward CW.

Also, CW is not a sports arena. It is a sports and entertainment venue. Hopefully, in the future it will be marketed as such. There is no reason big name acts should do large scale tours in Tampa and Jax and not here.

17 hours ago, Uncommon said:

What’s your definition of major upgrades? I think the $200M upgrade we got a few years back was pretty major, and after all of that, CWS is still a dump. How many more of those do we need to have a semi-decent stadium? Might as well just put that toward a $1B new, state-of-the-art NFL quality stadium as opposed to trying different shades of lipstick on the pig, but only if we get an NFL promise.

Otherwise, perform the $60M upgrade and call it a day. And if more funding becomes available later, perhaps do some more minor improvements here and there. But putting a significant amount of money into this stadium in the heart of a blighted hood is not a wise investment, especially if it won’t be in use often enough to justify the amount.

I think that if I get my DeLorean, I'm going back in time and punching them in the face for that $200M upgrade and it still looking like crap.  We are in 100% agreement there, because that was stupid and it was lipstick on a pig.  We agree on that.

However, to just abandon it at this point is a waste.  You have to move on and you have to improve.  While we both agree they took the wrong path to start, I absolutely do not think the proper correction is to just give up and abandon it to this "blighted hood" area.  You just make the best with what you have.  Especially, since this "NFL promise" you have mentioned multiple times isn't happening anytime soon.  There isn't going to be a 4th team in Florida, so we'd have to woo the Bucs or Jags to move here.  The Jags could happen, but I'd bet they move to London before Orlando and I don't see that as likely either.

That doesn't mean we can't have a nice stadium that pulls in fancy events, though.  There are event bookings to be won!

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I think that if I get my DeLorean, I'm going back in time and punching them in the face for that $200M upgrade and it still looking like crap.  We are in 100% agreement there, because that was stupid and it was lipstick on a pig.  We agree on that.

However, to just abandon it at this point is a waste.  You have to move on and you have to improve.  While we both agree they took the wrong path to start, I absolutely do not think the proper correction is to just give up and abandon it to this "blighted hood" area.  You just make the best with what you have.  Especially, since this "NFL promise" you have mentioned multiple times isn't happening anytime soon.  There isn't going to be a 4th team in Florida, so we'd have to woo the Bucs or Jags to move here.  The Jags could happen, but I'd bet they move to London before Orlando and I don't see that as likely either.

That doesn't mean we can't have a nice stadium that pulls in fancy events, though.  There are event bookings to be won!

I’m glad we are in agreement on some things but I think you’re either misinterpreting or misreading my statements. I said we should definitely do the $60M upgrade and I never suggested abandoning or “giving up” on the stadium. If giving up equates to $60M in upgrades, I wish someone would have given up on me a long time ago lol. I just think the $60M should be all that’s spent on CWS. And like I said, if funding becomes available later, do some minor upgrades. Otherwise, eventually having a “nice stadium that pulls in fancy events” could easily cost another $60M, and then another $60M, and another, and before you know it, we’re right back at the $200M we both agree is worthy of punching someone in the face over. 

My point is, it’s never going to be a “nice” stadium without a significant amount of cash invested into it. Not worth it. I truly believe after this $60M upgrade, it’s going to be as nice as it’s gonna be. It is what it is. Sinking more cash into it is just stupid.

Edited by Uncommon

And of course, there are people who will never be happy with it no matter how many upgrades are done.

The important thing is to start from a realistic set of standards from which to judge it by.

As long as it's nice enough to keep attracting the college bowl games, the Pro Bowl and various other events, then it's nice enough.

We don't need an expensive first rate stadium that sits empty and unused 360 days per year. 

2 hours ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

Sounds like something that's been occurring every year.

Could it possibly be a bargaining chip for the league to get Orlando to up the ante and offer more stuff?

Don't know if they'd really want to hold such a family event in Sin City.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Can't read it, but that sounds like a good idea from the title.

In a field a half-mile from Camping World Stadium, community leaders broke ground Monday on what will be the largest Boys & Girls Club in Central Florida — a $9 million, 30,000-square-foot facility they say will be key to a “cradle to career” pipeline for kids from disadvantaged neighborhoods.

The facility, slated to open in the West Lakes community early next year, will be named after former Darden CEO Clarence Otis and his wife, Jacqueline Bradley, longtime supporters of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, who have donated $4 million toward the project.

“The children and families in this community deserve our support," Otis said before a crowd of about 250 residents, elected officials, donors and supporters. “They deserve the opportunity to dream big [and] the opportunity to achieve those dreams.”

The two-story facility will offer mentoring, education, art and technology labs for a projected 250 children and teens a day. Plans call for a full gymnasium with a stage for performances — funded by Walt Disney World Resort— as well as a dance/aerobics studio, commercial kitchen and college and career center for teens.

The club will be built on the grounds of Orange Center Elementary School, southwest of Camping World Stadium. The neighborhood is undergoing a large-scale rebuilding effort, led by nonprofit Lift Orlando and local residents, to spur overall well-being in Orlando’s most distressed ZIP code.

Bradley said she and Otis typically make anonymous donations but decided to be public on this project.

“In these times," she said, "I felt it was important to reinforce for this community that there are big arms and big hearts to support” the people who live here.

Symphony Jones, one of six kids to be ceremonially “inducted” into the club with a club T-shirt and ID card, said she looks forward to the days when she and her friends can spend their afternoons there.

″I think it’ll be really fun, and we’ll learn a lot of good things," the 9-year-old said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FSU to face LSU in Orlando to kick off 2023 season

“We are so excited to bring yet another thrilling kickoff game to Orlando, and we look forward to hosting college football fans from around the globe for this unbelievable matchup,” said Florida Citrus Sports CEO Steve Hogan, whose organization coordinates events at Camping World Stadium."

Hopefully some of the upgrades will be done by then.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-state-seminoles/os-sp-fsu-lsu-schedule-20200211-pswpkz7n6jhr5ksaq5yyfbxbvm-story.html

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/02/24/city-of-orlando-announces-campaign-website-in-competition-to-host-world-cup-games
Our chances can be dramatically improved if Sunrail connected to the airport and the hotels on International Drive.

I couldn't imagine a Sunrail line to I-Drive finished by '26

1 hour ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

https://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/02/24/city-of-orlando-announces-campaign-website-in-competition-to-host-world-cup-games
Our chances can be dramatically improved if Sunrail connected to the airport and the hotels on International Drive.

If I remember correctly, we are already very well positioned for this. Didn't they release a list of cities with numerical scores?