Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

28 minutes ago, smileguy said:

If I remember correctly, we are already very well positioned for this. Didn't they release a list of cities with numerical scores?

Everything I’ve seen is calling Orlando’s odds long. I’m not holding my breath and don’t care much for soccer anyway but it would be a nice boon to the economy and Orlando’s place as a major city to land these games.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Florida Citrus Sports is looking to bid for the annual Army - Navy game between 2023 - 28:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-orlando-army-navy-football-game-20200313-qfmmhx3nmvdf3aid5yptdew5wq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

One of the biggest college football rivalries, landing the game would be a huge feather in the cap for Hank’s favorite stadium!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Uncommon said:

There were supposed to be an additional $60M in renovations starting this year. As far as I know, those have not started.

This was awarded to Barton Malow. I wonder if they've put a hold on it since TDT collections have fallen off a cliff.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They should rename the stadium that, too.

Apropos, as it remains somewhat cheesy even after all the millions in renovations.

Oh my. The funny part is no one seems to be able to name a municipal stadium with better amenities that doesn’t have an NFL team. We seem to want our Cheez-Its and eat them, too.

Someone suggested the Cotton Bowl, but if it’s in great shape it’s odd they lost the namesake bowl game to AT&T Stadium. It also gets funding from the State Fair of Texas in addition to the City of Dallas (we should probably add that Dallas has been a major city with ability to fund it a lot longer than Orlando has).

Edited by spenser1058

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

We're now like a bazillion dollars into multi-generational renovations and still have a high school stadium instead of doing it right the first time.

Tearing the stadium down and building a brand new stadium (Allegiant Stadium, Sofi Stadium, Mercedes Benz)? 

10 hours ago, HankStrong said:

We're now like a bazillion dollars into multi-generational renovations and still have a high school stadium instead of doing it right the first time.

Money was/ is an issue and they did not want to lose any games when they were closed.  A new stadium would cause them to miss at least two seasons and the events might not come back. Just my assumption. 

On 10/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, tc01 said:

Tearing the stadium down and building a brand new stadium (Allegiant Stadium, Sofi Stadium, Mercedes Benz)? 

Well, that wouldn't be very feasible would it?  How about tearing it down and building a perfectly acceptable stadium?

Allegiant = $1.84B, SoFi many billions, M-B $1.6B

I'm not thinking you could swing that in a city without a pro team.  However, I think for the approximately $300M+ we've spent on it in the last decade that we could've built a stadium as nice as about the bottom 2/3 of stadiums in the NFL.  They've certainly upgraded *some* of the features, especially adding actual chairs in many spots instead of bleacher seating, but it still has many features comparable to high school stadiums around the country.    It's not about getting Orlando's own JERRY WORLD or something, it's about not blowing money on a dump.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:01 PM, jack said:

Money was/ is an issue and they did not want to lose any games when they were closed.  A new stadium would cause them to miss at least two seasons and the events might not come back. Just my assumption. 

I do understand that.  Although, it does seem like minimal thought & effort were put in and continue to be.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Well, that wouldn't be very feasible would it?  How about tearing it down and building a perfectly acceptable stadium?

Allegiant = $1.84B, SoFi many billions, M-B $1.6B

I'm not thinking you could swing that in a city without a pro team.  However, I think for the approximately $300M+ we've spent on it in the last decade that we could've built a stadium as nice as about the bottom 2/3 of stadiums in the NFL.  They've certainly upgraded *some* of the features, especially adding actual chairs in many spots instead of bleacher seating, but it still has many features comparable to high school stadiums around the country.    It's not about getting Orlando's own JERRY WORLD or something, it's about not blowing money on a dump.

I do understand that.  Although, it does seem like minimal thought & effort were put in and continue to be.

From the very beginning of the venues bundle this was an afterthought. It was not originally supposed to be a part of it. It’s the continuous blind spot of the Buddy era. From Day One, when he ran as a last-minute search for something to do after losing the AG race to Charlie Crist, there has been a complete lack of vision. They just stumble from one project to the next without thinking about where they want to end up. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How ‘bout some good news? West Lakes is making some great progress. It’s definitely corporate, but between non-profits, philanthropists and leaders with ties to the community they are encouraging lots of input from residents and the results are so far excellent. This is a model to keep in mind:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-lift-orlando-west-lakes-transforming-neighborhood-20210730-n6x76ml6zbhjdgtu4l3aadxgm4-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I must confess my favorite bowl now is Camping World Stadium’s very own Cheez-It Bowl. What could be better? You can’t snack on roses (well, maybe if you’re a goat).

Best of all, Cheez-Its are on sale this week at Publix (where snacking is a pleasure)!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...