Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

It was light rail that vanished NOT commuter rail. Two very different things. Commuter Rail is Steaming toward reality for some time now.

I believe that light rail may be returning to the table, so to speak. At least this is what I was told in a lecture. Especially since others are seeing how Charlotte (the city we lost our light rail to) is taking advantage of their light rail system.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

I didn't realize it before for some reason, but the lower bowl is all steel frame in the Citrus Bowl. It's the second tier on both sides that is the concrete structure. If they improved it, what would they do, demolish the steel girder structure and build it back up as concrete stands?

I believe that light rail may be returning to the table, so to speak. At least this is what I was told in a lecture. Especially since others are seeing how Charlotte (the city we lost our light rail to) is taking advantage of their light rail system.

I feel like light rail is a matter of when not if in Orlando as long as commuter rail gets off the ground. By the time commuter rail is in place, most of our biggest project issues should be resolved or underway (arena, Citrus Bowl, PAC, I-4/408, etc.) which will allow leaders to focus on expanding our mass transit network. Also once we get the first leg of the commuter rail in place, I'm pretty sure a lot of people will jump on the "rail is good" bandwagon and call for an expansion of the network. People will want downtown, the attractions area, and the airport to be connected, which is where light rail will come back into play.

I feel like light rail is a matter of when not if in Orlando as long as commuter rail gets off the ground. By the time commuter rail is in place, most of our biggest project issues should be resolved or underway (arena, Citrus Bowl, PAC, I-4/408, etc.) which will allow leaders to focus on expanding our mass transit network. Also once we get the first leg of the commuter rail in place, I'm pretty sure a lot of people will jump on the "rail is good" bandwagon and call for an expansion of the network. People will want downtown, the attractions area, and the airport to be connected, which is where light rail will come back into play.

I sure hope people will do this. It's really the only hope I see for Orlando in the long term. I hope people jump on the mass transit bandwagon before it's too late... and the hotels and tourist traps wonder why they don't get much business! I've been many places that if you want to get somewhere quickly, then you are more than welcome to pay for a rental car or cab-but if you don't mind waiting till the morning or until the next bus/train/subway/et al then you have that option. It probably pisses visitors off that we don't really care about that. I know it would me.

Pisa, IT-trains & buses

Florence, IT-bus

Paris, FR-subway, train, bus

Glasgow, UK-bus, train

Brussels, BE-train, subway

Toronto, CA-subway, streetcar

I don't see much hope for Orlando unless we can compete with these cities.

I sure hope people will do this. It's really the only hope I see for Orlando in the long term. I hope people jump on the mass transit bandwagon before it's too late... and the hotels and tourist traps wonder why they don't get much business! I've been many places that if you want to get somewhere quickly, then you are more than welcome to pay for a rental car or cab-but if you don't mind waiting till the morning or until the next bus/train/subway/et al then you have that option. It probably pisses visitors off that we don't really care about that. I know it would me.

Pisa, IT-trains & buses

Florence, IT-bus

Glasgow, UK-bus, train

you might as well add Amsterdam and London to that list. their mass transit systems are very advanced as well and they are big tourist cities. I admit when I go to those cities, the only thing I can point to with pride in ORL is the car rental facility at OIA. that's sad. that, and WDW's monorail.

I think we're diverting this thread with train talk that PMWMagic first spoke about, but its all related to the issue of another station at Church St., which would be close to the potential site of the new arena.

One thing noone is mentioning is the bus issue. Lynx has a couple of nice stops on University near Dean. most of the rest suck. Even at Fla. Mall, tourists are force to walk close to the TOys R Us and dodge 2 sets of mall loop lanes of traffic to get to the Lynx and charter bus stops.

whomever wants to delve further into this issue, follow me to the mass transit thread above.

I thoroughly agree--- and a line to the attractions area couldn't come soon enough. It's where I live and actually like, since I cannot afford downtown right now. I'm thinking of buying a condo near Orlando Premium Outlets. Since there is a lot of land in that area right now, a station near Orlando Premium Outlets would be prime; especially since Disney's International and College Program housing is right there. Rail on that end of I-Drive would definitely help to build it up, and also serve as a hub for south Orlandoans living in the Hunter's Creek areas.

Dreams that couldn't come true sooner.

Pisa, IT-trains & buses

Florence, IT-bus

Glasgow, UK-bus, train

ugh....

every single city on your list is much older that Orlando...and designed in a much different way....

Copying a city like those you mentioned will not help Orlando improve....Orlando is a "new city" and needs a "new solution"

ugh....

every single city on your list is much older that Orlando...and designed in a much different way....

Copying a city like those you mentioned will not help Orlando improve....Orlando is a "new city" and needs a "new solution"

you sounded like Michael Douglas in "The American President" just then.

ugh....

Toronto is not all that different nor that much older. However, feel free to suggest some 'new solutions'... in the mass transit/rail thread above :)

I would have mentioned some US cities but most of them have slightly disfunctional systems...or I just haven't used them. Perhaps Seattle would be the best city to look towards, although we wouldn't get much use out of ferries here....but the monorails and electric buses would be great. So far I haven't seen many solutions-new, old or otherwise.

ugh....

Forget the older European cities. Their duplicate mass transit systems are a pipe dream for most US cities including the large ones in the northeast.

I suggest we closely look at the MARTA rail system in Atlanta. On my way back from Europe I made a pit stop in Atlanta and thoroughly enjoyed riding this train from Hartsfield International Airport to Downtown and Buckhead areas. Very Nice! I think Orlando is very similar to Atlanta geography and large distances. I truly think Orlando would be wise to copy this rail system. $1.75 each way is reasonable and seems to keep the bums from using it and harassing the riders.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.wftv.com/news/9697210/detail.html

The article doesn't really have anything that hasn't already been discussed here, but at least now the mayor's push for a new arena (not renovating), a PAC and renovating the Citrus Bowl -- and the $1B price tag -- is getting public traction. Today he said all three would have a final resolution within three months. Also, it looks like the I-Drive possibility for the new arena is off the table and it's definitely going downtown, probably on Church.

The article doesn't really have anything that hasn't already been discussed here, but at least now the mayor's push for a new arena (not renovating), a PAC and renovating the Citrus Bowl -- and the $1B price tag -- is getting public traction. Today he said all three would have a final resolution within three months. Also, it looks like the I-Drive possibility for the new arena is off the table and it's definitely going downtown, probably on Church.

they said there are plans for a 5-star Marriott hotel. The only 5-star Marriott properties I am aware of is the Ritz Carlton. Is JW Marriott 5-star? I would say that's pretty big news for DT.

Did you have any doubt it would go anyplace but downtown?

Buddy's place in history is riding on the PAC and new Arena....and the revival of Parramore! This has got to be one of the most visionary Democrats I have ever met! Look for all three to strategically materialize. Europe likes Orlando....and they love investing their

Grand Bohemian is only a 3 star...I find it hard to believe that the ultimate luxury hotel in downtown would find itself on the west side of I-4 (at least at this point). Probably wishful thinking on the developers part.

maybe that's the proposal if the new arena replaces the old one in roughly the same location.

Being awarded 5-star designation is exremely difficult for hotels to acheive. I remember before the Portofino Hotel at Universal opened, everybody involved in the project said that the hotel was striving for 5-star status. Alas, when it opened it only received 4.

At one point I think The Grand Floridian was Orlando's only 5-star hotel, but I can't seem to find any hotels awarded 5-star status in 2006. I would have guessed The Ritz would be..

There is no universal star rating system, so it all depends on the website or service you use.

Orbitz, for instance, lists the following as 5 start hotels in Orlando:

JW Marriott Grande Lakes

Gaylord Palms

Reunion Resort

The Villas of Grand Cypress

Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes

Portofino Bay

According to Hotels.com, there aren't any 5 star hotels. Expedia lists none, but the most 4 - 4.5 start hotels. Mobil's Travel Guide doesn't list any either, and as a matter of fact had only two 4 star hotels listed.