Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

So, anyway or anywho, isn't it rather refreshing to know that ORL is going to get a 30 or so story Marriott 5-star property-- JW or Ritz, downtown? Isn't there another brand they have? Is it W Hotels or something like that?

Now where is this going to go again? near the other Marriott?

City 'guarantees' funds for bundled projects

Arts center's pitch Aug. 22 starts series of county presentations.

ORLANDO -- It's no longer a question of if Orlando will get a new performing arts center, a new events center to replace the TD Waterhouse Centre and a revamped Citrus Bowl.

Now, it's just a matter of who is going to pay how much -- and when -- for construction.

Orlando Business Journal [subscription Required]

NOTE: If an OBJ subscriber could paraphrase this article for the forum, it would be greatly appreciated.

NOTE: If an OBJ subscriber could paraphrase this article for the forum, it would be greatly appreciated.

Some items of note from the story:

• "We are doing all three projects," says Rebecca W. Sutton, the city's chief financial officer. "The question is whether we can assemble the money for all three at one time, or whether we need to phase the projects."

• Officials expect to decide by the end of this year how much funding they each will provide for the three projects, which add up to almost $1 billion.

• Starting next week, groups representing the three venues will make a two-hour presentation to the Orange County Board of Commissioners on three separate days.

• Then the City Council will have all three organizations present their proposals, possibly in a workshop, on the same day within a month or two. There, the groups will ask for city land to be donated, as well as for millions of dollars from Orlando's Community Redevelopment Agency. After that, city and county officials will be presented with a master plan for the downtown area, followed by the presentation of the final joint funding plan, and then an interlocal agreement will be worked out. At that time, it will be time to break ground.

• First up: the Orlando Performing Arts Center Corp., making its pitch to the county commission on Aug. 22 at 9 a.m., followed by the Citrus Bowl on Aug. 29 and the arena on Sept. 12.

• The PAC nonprofit group envisions a $900 million complex ($350 million for the PAC and the rest being commercial and residential development) on 9 acres in downtown across from City Hall, bounded by Orange Avenue, South Street, Rosalind Avenue and Anderson Street.

• If all goes well, construction of the performing arts center, parking garage and some of the residential construction could be completed by 2010, with everything else finished by 2013.

Listen, I apologize if I am asking a question that was answered already. I am very supportive of the new Citrus Bowl, but what is going in it? How about soccer? It is extremely popular as of late with 92,000 fans watching a game in LA recently (77,000 in Huston of all places and 79,000 at Giant Stadium last week). These are huge numbers that have the chance of dumping a ton of money into the city during one of these games. This is a very diverse city that would most likely support this kind of franchise. I have yet to hear from the Mayor what the plans are for this great venue, besides Super Truck Races. Discuss, I would love to hear (see) your feedback.

Correct, AAA and Mobil are the only two anyone in the hotel industry gives a damn about.

And JRS1, where'd the 30 story # come from?

that number has been circulating on another thread here for a while... they didn't actually say 30 stories; I think they said around the 30 story range.

City 'guarantees' funds for bundled projects

Arts center's pitch Aug. 22 starts series of county presentations.

ORLANDO -- It's no longer a question of if Orlando will get a new performing arts center, a new events center to replace the TD Waterhouse Centre and a revamped Citrus Bowl.

Now, it's just a matter of who is going to pay how much -- and when -- for construction.

Orlando Business Journal [subscription Required]

If all three major projects are completed it will have an enormous impact on our local economy. All that high $ construction followed by decades of venue revenues; all that entertainment should also entice more people to live downtown.

Fantastic! :yahoo:

25019978.jpg

Look like the same arrangement as PTP.

Here is a report from OPAC in pdf format. In my opinion, this report looked like they do it in 30 mins or less. Give some efforts.

The report used NJ PAC as example, which means we are not getting an architecture icon but just some lousy looking building like those you would see at UCF.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/acrob...08/25007317.pdf

Sunshine,

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but we don't have the money to build this great architectural icon. People aren't coming to Orlando to go to the performing arts center, nor will it ever be the focus of a major production. The reality is that it will be a very nice and much needed venue that those in the community can embrace.

I'm excited for the prospects and not going to down the project because it's not breaking the bank on design. In reality it's the inside that matters in the long run.

For $376 Mil, they can build an architecture icon. Disney Concert Hall is only 274 Mil, Miami Concert Hall $344 to $377 Mil (more seats than Orlando). If we are going to build it, lets build something that people can recognize Orlando by.

Philly Kimmel Center was considered a failure because the city are not happy that it is not an architecture icon with the huge price tag they paid, despite it great acoustic quality. It they are going to spend that kind of money and build a PAC that look like something u can find in Daytona Beach or Maitland, it is rather disappointing, dont you think so?

For $376 Mil, they can build an architecture icon. Disney Concert Hall is only 274 Mil, Miami Concert Hall $344 to $377 Mil (more seats than Orlando). If we are going to build it, lets build something that people can recognize Orlando by.

Philly Kimmel Center was considered a failure because the city are not happy that it is not an architecture icon with the huge price tag they paid, despite it great acoustic quality. It they are going to spend that kind of money and build a PAC that look like something u can find in Daytona Beach or Maitland, it is rather disappointing, dont you think so?

I'm tempted to agree. It looks like the Miami Hall is about done or just finished (after a quick google), so we ought to be able to build something 10-20% smaller for about the same $ (taking into account increased construction costs).

If it comes down to making either the Arena or the PAC an 'icon' or landmark, I'd say spend the extra money on the PAC.

Sunshine, the final cost of the Miami PAC will be around $500 Million dollars and it's ugly, its already been said that the White design will darken over time and require extensive cleaning annually. It's a building that in 20 years people are going to say that is so 2000s.

To build an architechural icon you have to sink in Millions of dollars to get a quality architecht who can create a design that will transend the times. I don't want some mishapen building that might be a cool design today but in 20 years is a "What the hell were they thinking" idea.

I'm more concerned with getting the inside done, the acoustics, the layout. The artwork on the walls. Etc. If that means the outside is not some glamourous design...so be it.

The outside design is not going to discourage people from attending and anyone who makes that argument.

As for the Kimmel Center, the problem wasn't the design of the outside, it was the inside. The main Orchestra Hall literally rattled when music was being played. It led to the architect (forget who it is but he's one of the top in the world), to be sued by the city for the difference to fix the problem

I seriously doubt the arena will be some iconic venue on the outside either. I think both the PAC and the Arena will get it right on the inside which is all that really matters.