Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Scott Maxwell in his column today noted that county officials were more enthusiastic about the Citrus Bowl expansion briefing than they were about the PAC briefing.

Assuming the presentation that was published in pdf was any indication of the quality of the overall presentation, I can't say I'm surprised that the county wasn't all that enthusiastic. Considering how much was on the line, I thought that presentation was borderline mediocre. There were even a couple spelling errors. It's like they put it together at the last minute. It's a shame.

Assuming the presentation that was published in pdf was any indication of the quality of the overall presentation, I can't say I'm surprised that the county wasn't all that enthusiastic. Considering how much was on the line, I thought that presentation was borderline mediocre. There were even a couple spelling errors. It's like they put it together at the last minute. It's a shame.

That's terrible. At the same time, it's hard to understand why county officials were starry-eyed about the Citrus Bowl redo when Hogan repeatedly passed over the fact that Jax and Tampa have superior facilities because they already have NFL teams.

Where was the take-no-prisoners-it's-all-business skepticism then ?

Gotta add to the fact that the Big 10 and SEC commissioners told the country commission directly that they would pull the Cap One Bowl's 2nd Big Ten and 2nd SEC selections. As of now it's the biggest game outside the BCS.

In my belief, in the end the PAC will get priority over the Citrus Bowl. However, I personally thought the Citrus Bowl presentation was better than the PAC. I almost fell asleep trying to take notes on that one.

Gotta add to the fact that the Big 10 and SEC commissioners told the country commission directly that they would pull the Cap One Bowl's 2nd Big Ten and 2nd SEC selections. As of now it's the biggest game outside the BCS.

In my belief, in the end the PAC will get priority over the Citrus Bowl. However, I personally thought the Citrus Bowl presentation was better than the PAC. I almost fell asleep trying to take notes on that one.

Yeah, but wouldn't you say that you lean ever so slightly towards being more of sports fan than let's say a fan of the opera, Magicfan95?

With this approach, the arena people should get indoor fireworks, booze, and hookers to present to the Orange County Commissioners and they should be able to attain all the funds.

If the Big Ten and the SEC are serious, then the Citrus Bowl needs to be a Top 2 priority, with the PAC coming in 3rd.

I think the OOCEA needs to contribute $$$ as well, in the form of a parking deck perhaps with a dedicated ramp connecting to the 408. Ah! What an idea. Just like Joe Robbie in Carol City and their ramps to the TNPK. I'm a freakin' genius. It could work. THen, it would solve the whole CHurch St. ghetto corridor lack of connection to DT issue. Or am I way out of whack on this one?

Edited by JRS1

Yeah, but wouldn't you say that you lean ever so slightly towards being more of sports fan than let's say a fan of the opera, Magicfan95?

With this approach, the arena people should get indoor fireworks, booze, and hookers to present to the Orange County Commissioners and they should be able to attain all the funds.

Actually my brother is a local performer who has performed at the Carr, SACS, and Lake Eola (shakespeare) and several other venues in the area. Thus the reason I am so big on the PAC getting done. However, the presentation was very bland.

I didn't mean to sound like I was leaning towards the Citrus Bowl. Would I like to see it done? Yes. Is it the priority in my book? No.

I think the problems come from the fact that the fact that we will lose the quality of the bowl games if they don't fix the stadium. Whereas the Broadway Series and Symphony aren't leaving. Thus the reasons the PAC doesn't seem as urgent to the commissioners

If the Big Ten and the SEC are serious, then the Citrus Bowl needs to be a Top 2 priority, with the PAC coming in 3rd.

Now that the game is called The Capitol One Bowl and not the Citrus Bowl, how synonymous is Orlando with the game? Same thing goes for the former Citrus Bowl Half Marathon that coincided with the football game. It is now called the OUC Half Marathon. It kinda loses some luster if you ask me. The parade is now called the Orlando Citrus Parade, which they should just call the Orlando Cenvention and Visitors Bureau Ad Showcase Parade. Have you tried sitting through one the telecasts? It's horrible. They should have changed the football game's name to The Citrus Bowl presented by Capitol One or The Capitol One Citrus Bowl.

The Rose Bowl is the Rose Bowl and the Rose Parade is the Rose Parade. It doesn't change depending on a company's marketing desires. It is synonymous with Pasadena.

Now that the game is called The Capitol One Bowl and not the Citrus Bowl, how synonymous is Orlando with the game? Same thing goes for the former Citrus Bowl Half Marathon that coincided with the football game. It is now called the OUC Half Marathon. It kinda loses some luster if you ask me. The parade is now called the Orlando Citrus Parade, which they should just call the Orlando Cenvention and Visitors Bureau Ad Showcase Parade. Have you tried sitting through one the telecasts? It's horrible. They should have changed the football game's name to The Citrus Bowl presented by Capitol One or The Capitol One Citrus Bowl.

The Rose Bowl is the Rose Bowl and the Rose Parade is the Rose Parade. It doesn't change depending on a company's marketing desires. It is synonymous with Pasadena.

I agree with you. I don't like "Capital One Bowl" either. I mean, we have the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, the Nokia Sugar Bowl, the Fed Ex Orange Bowl, etc... It's still the CItrus Bowl, but now its the Capital One Citrus Bowl...

even so, we can't lose those games.

There were several points that I did not know myself and several commitments made to Orlando if they built an area.

1) Professional Bull Riding - Week long International Championship held at new arena, will be a major event on the PBR.

2) NCAA - will return to Orlando with 1st/2nd round AND Regional matchups in the NCAA men's and women's basketball tourny, along with several other NCAA sanctioned events.

3) Conference - ACC/MEAC pledged that they will put Orlando at the top of their lists as possible sites for conference championships. (MEAC championship, be it smaller schools is very successful event)

4) David Stern - Orlando guarenteed to get an Allstar game and will be on a rotation for this game as the NBA tries to rotate the game like the Super Bowl.

5) Magic - Cannot give EXACT number as there is too much to still plan before giving the number (location, size, etc.) Will give more than most NBA teams have given in the past. Further...They will pay any OVERRUN in the $385 Million construction cost.

The Magic also pledged a large donation to the PAC and will help the FCS to obtain a BCS game with refurbished Citrus Bowl.

Seemed well received.

There were several points that I did not know myself and several commitments made to Orlando if they built an area.

1) Professional Bull Riding - Week long International Championship held at new arena, will be a major event on the PBR.

2) NCAA - will return to Orlando with 1st/2nd round AND Regional matchups in the NCAA men's and women's basketball tourny, along with several other NCAA sanctioned events.

3) Conference - ACC/MEAC pledged that they will put Orlando at the top of their lists as possible sites for conference championships. (MEAC championship, be it smaller schools is very successful event)

4) David Stern - Orlando guarenteed to get an Allstar game and will be on a rotation for this game as the NBA tries to rotate the game like the Super Bowl.

5) Magic - Cannot give EXACT number as there is too much to still plan before giving the number (location, size, etc.) Will give more than most NBA teams have given in the past. Further...They will pay any OVERRUN in the $385 Million construction cost.

The Magic also pledged a large donation to the PAC and will help the FCS to obtain a BCS game with refurbished Citrus Bowl.

Seemed well received.

scratch what I said about the Magic Organization in a post I just made on this or another thread.

HOK (Architects are designing it)

They have started designing. The cost is based on projections of what the venue is going to include 800,000 SqFt, suites, etc. They have made the projection I believe.

So design work has started before site location has been finalized? Seems a little off...

Also, from the Sentinel...

City leaders: Downtown arena a must

David Damron {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted September 12, 2006

Orlando leaders drew sharper battle lines Monday on where to build a new arena, saying Orange County politicians' flirtation with moving it to International Drive may undercut the city's support for the project.

"If the arena goes to International Drive, I simply will not vote for it," City Commissioner Daisy Lynum said. "It makes no sense."

Orlando Sentinel

So design work has started before site location has been finalized? Seems a little off...

Also, from the Sentinel...

City leaders: Downtown arena a must

David Damron {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted September 12, 2006

Orlando leaders drew sharper battle lines Monday on where to build a new arena, saying Orange County politicians' flirtation with moving it to International Drive may undercut the city's support for the project.

"If the arena goes to International Drive, I simply will not vote for it," City Commissioner Daisy Lynum said. "It makes no sense."

Orlando Sentinel

If this new arena doesnt go downtown im gathering everyone i know for petitions and a boycot