Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I agree. they need something that's way different. Screw SOM, the Suntrust Center sucks-- aqua colored steel beams?

Now, if SOM wants to design a mini Hancock, then lets talk.

No more Florida-looking crap buildings. They need to think Miami-ish, ala their PAC, for example. The downside is that this thing will be landlocked with development, unless they agree not to build on its south face, then you could see it from 408.

Fitting in does not mean that it can't be flashy or impressive. Many times these big time celebrity architects (Frank Gehry) design buildings that not only stand out (and not in a good way) but also provide no vibrancy (and the PAC probably isn't going to provide significant vibrancy).

I agree on the Sun Turst comment. Though I personally love Gehry's designs, I don't think we're ready for that yet. But something not bland. Also, even if they don't block the south face you won't be able to see in from the 408 anyway because of the bloody sound walls going up!

In anyway, let's just hope that it isn't Med revival style. Mini Hancock? How about Taipei 101 style or Burj al Arab style? We already have a sculpture on the corner of Orange and South that resembles Taipei 101.

I'm thinking the PAC should be a kinetic glass design.

• 2 weeks later...

Frederick quits arts-center role

Miscommunication and lack of leadership are sinking downtown Orlando plans, the ex-mayor said.

David Damron and Mark Schlueb | Sentinel Staff Writers

Posted November 1, 2005

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

Major outlined

A pledge of $680 million in future tourist-tax dollars would be needed over 30 years to build an arts center, new arena and renovated Citrus Bowl. In Frederick's vision, the Orlando Magic also could contribute $100 million and the city about $35 million.

A renovation to the TD Waterhouse Centre -- built when Frederick was mayor -- will not keep the Magic in town or draw more premier entertainers. Instead, a new $350 million arena, used mainly by the Magic, is needed, possibly at a new downtown site.

A $175 million proposed face-lift for the Citrus Bowl would keep it competitive for events it attracts now, such as college-football bowl games. But it won't bring enough improvements to the facility to host a professional football team, Frederick said.

Although a performing-arts center can expect a $5 million annual operating deficit, Frederick said it would be offset by revenues from a hotel and a commercial building at the main site

Frederick quits arts-center role

A renovation to the TD Waterhouse Centre -- built when Frederick was mayor -- will not keep the Magic in town or draw more premier entertainers. Instead, a new $350 million arena, used mainly by the Magic, is needed, possibly at a new downtown site.

It's about time they realized that a professional sports team is essential for a city like Orlando to compete with the other major cities. Tax the tourists and give them a new Arena in Parramore! The benefits will be multi-faceted and our kids/grandkids will thank us. GO Magic! Bring back SHAQ (as an owner of course)!

Increasing, no, but reallocating, possible. I was under the impression that Emperor Crotty agreed to use the tourist tax to help pay for these projects?

Well, I would hope that you'd have the integrity to bow down to the Emporer were he pay for a PAC, new arena and citrus bowl improvements (and a new county building downtown).

But in any case, I was suggesting that you might have the occaision to cast darts at Rosen & co., as I expect they would oppose *reallocation* of tourists money, to say nothing of any increase.

Dale, we all know the unfair advantage that Orange County has with the tourist tax revenue, which, forgive me for assuming, is why this project, and so many within the city limits, has stalled so long. The main economic engine driving us into the future is in the hands of one man. Kind of scary if you think about it.

Well, I would hope that you'd have the integrity to bow down to the Emporer were he pay for a PAC, new arena and citrus bowl improvements (and a new county building downtown).

But in any case, I was suggesting that you might have the occaision to cast darts at Rosen & co., as I expect they would oppose *reallocation* of tourists money, to say nothing of any increase.

He wouldn't be "paying" for the improvements, tourists would. I think we all bow to them quite enough already.

It's about time they realized that a professional sports team is essential for a city like Orlando to compete with the other major cities. Tax the tourists and give them a new Arena in Parramore! The benefits will be multi-faceted and our kids/grandkids will thank us. GO Magic! Bring back SHAQ (as an owner of course)!

See, that's not how I read that quote. The way I understood it is he was saying that a new arena is essential for the city to retain the team. Regardless. In my opinion (understanding that I am the bigest Magic fan in the world) the city would be just fine without the Magic. I'd hate to see them go, but thats business. Buildings aren't being built downtown because of the Magic. Condos dont get built downtown because of the Magic. The cities population growth has nothing to do with the Magic. There are plenty of great truly urban cities that exist without a professional team. Furthermore, (cant believe im saying this) I believe this city city would benifit ten times more from a performaing arts center than a mediocre basketball team. If you want a real city you got to have culture The reality is that half of the people at games are there to see the other team. The team that is from where there from. This city, for the most part doesn't care about the Magic. This city is not steeped in sports tradition. If we were talking about the Yankees leaving New York, that would be one thing, but c'mon really, its the Magic. I'll prove my point - If the city had to choose: a 50 story high rise on the Pizutti lot for county services or a new arena, what would you pick? I know which one would last longer.

Dale, we all know the unfair advantage that Orange County has with the tourist tax revenue, which, forgive me for assuming, is why this project, and so many within the city limits, has stalled so long. The main economic engine driving us into the future is in the hands of one man. Kind of scary if you think about it.

He wouldn't be "paying" for the improvements, tourists would. I think we all bow to them quite enough already.

Right, so let's just have the people who butter our bread bow down some more.

;)

Nice diversion! To assume I would is false, yet while a tax revenue persists, i'd hope it would best benefit all the citizens of Orange County, not just those who own hotels.

I have to agree with praha here. Why should the wealthy hotel owners be able to hoard the tax like it belonged to them? It should benefit all the citizens. The citizens live with the problems that comes with all the tourism (thousands of low wage jobs that put a burden on our institutions, over crowded schools, overcrowded roads), so why can't the citizens get some of the benefits of tourism.

Many areas of the state have hotel taxes. Ours are some of the lowest around and are under the tightest control by a fewest powerful people. It's a crime. I don't think it would harm the industry to raise it a bit and share the benefits accross the county.

I have to agree with praha here. Why should the wealthy hotel owners be able to hoard the tax like it belonged to them? It should benefit all the citizens. The citizens live with the problems that comes with all the tourism (thousands of low wage jobs that put a burden on our institutions, over crowded schools, overcrowded roads), so why can't the citizens get some of the benefits of tourism.

Many areas of the state have hotel taxes. Ours are some of the lowest around and are under the tightest control by a fewest powerful people. It's a crime. I don't think it would harm the industry to raise it a bit and share the benefits accross the county.

Well, it would be nice to know the original intended recepient(s) of the hotel tax. Then maybe we could debate the issue more intelligently.

I do know the law SPECIFICALLY says that the tax can be used for community sports and cultural venues. Now if it says that, and I'm certain it does, then why the f^*@ do the hotel owners think they have the right to say no to the community.

I'd sure as f^*@ want to know from the hoteliers why, if there is the provision you mention, why they oppose reallocating.

On the other hand, if the provision states, *could* be used for, then maybe we're witnessing a spasm of democracy here.

Although before we go any farther, I think it would mighty fine to get a PAC, a new arena and a renovated Citrus Bowl.

I seriously don't believe the tourists owe us anything, let alone more tha they pay.

It's not just the tourists paying this tax, it might also be locals. If you rent a place with a lease of 6 months or less you're paying a hotel tax. Why should Rosen see a dime of that money??

It's not just the tourists paying this tax, it might also be locals. If you rent a place with a lease of 6 months or less you're paying a hotel tax. Why should Rosen see a dime of that money??

In the absence of any kind of clearcut stipulations, it sounds a little like a free-for-all to me.

Well, it would be nice to know the original intended recepient(s) of the hotel tax. Then maybe we could debate the issue more intelligently.

Kinda' related--- I used to work in an I-Drive hotel and we used to charge an extra "tourist tax" that I found out was a bunch of BS, just another way for the hotel to make more money. The Guests paid it--- so....

Agreed as well, an 11% hotel tax is relatively cheap compared to other cities, especially us being who we are.