Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I applied for a job at Howard 2 years ago and coincidentally walked by it last night. I believe it's a historic site and I doubt it would be touched. The inside of the school is brand new but they had to keep the outside facade. Plus if we take down a middle school it would have to be replaced....

No I would never tear it down ... I think its a great building. Its Orlandos first highschool and does indeed have a lot of history. Personally I think the middle school can be moved somewhere with better road access and larger newer facilities.

It just looks like a museum to me and would make a perfect one IMO just get rid of the gym and the rest of the building can stay as it with a little cleaning of course.

I think its because they know they'll make $ either way so they can care less where it is as long as the new arena is made. Of course this is just pure speculation but who really knows? Only they do. If its on Idrive, they'll get international fans to come more to games (tourists etc.), if its in downtown, it'll be easier for locals to visit games as it is a CENTRAL location for orlando residents. another benefit for it being in Idrive is the fact that tampa/lakeland area fans can also come to games as the drive would be 50min-1 hour which isn't too bad for crazy fans:)

I prefer it to be in downtown of course as it will boost the downtown redev projects.

I've been to quite a few Magic games over the years and I usually sit in the nose bleeds. Let me tell you, we get more international visitors to the games than you might think. That, or the population of Orlando is more diverse than we know.

I-Drive is only 10-15 minutes from Downtown (if the traffic is moving) so I don't think an additional 10 minutes would deter our neighbors from the west from attending a game.

From the Sentinel...

Mike Thomas

Like it or not, I-Drive arena is on the table

The latest twist in the Orlando Magic arena saga now has the team moving from downtown Orlando to International Drive.

If you think this cannot happen, you haven't talked with Marc Watson.

He says he can build an arena for about $130 million less than in downtown Orlando. And he can do it with a lot more private money and a lot less public money.

. . .

Dyer needs to meet with Orange Mayor Rich Crotty, finalize details for the arena and performing-arts center, and then jointly dump the $250 million Citrus Bowl renovation.

It never made sense anyway, which is why supporters have tried to piggyback it on the other venues.

Take out the Citrus Bowl and you can stretch existing money to build the arena and arts center downtown.

The Citrus Bowl can be revisited in five years or so if money becomes available. An I-Drive arena can't be transported back downtown.

right on.

full article

Edited by uncreativeusername

I-Drive is only 10-15 minutes from Downtown (if the traffic is moving) so I don't think an additional 10 minutes would deter our neighbors from the west from attending a game.

Has anyone actually driven down I-Drive around 8PM in the last few months (years)? The traffic is unspeakably bad. It took me almost an hour to go from the convention center to Wet n' Wild a few Friday nights ago.

How in the HELL can that strip handle the influx of traffic an arena would bring? I swear, Orlando seems to build before thinking... That's why most of our City Beautiful is a traffic nightmare. :angry:

It'd help if we could have an honest discussion of the costs, and who would contribute what.

I suspect an honest examination of costs will point to an I-Drive location.

Whatever the case, Mike Thomas' column today should be required reading for those UPers inclined to peg Crotty as the bad guy everytime.

I suspect an honest examination of costs will point to an I-Drive location.

I haven't done all the math nor do I know all the answers. But there is more to the equation than cost alone. I'm sure the Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay would have been much cheaper had they chosen not to build it over all that water. Location, location, location! Where will it benefit the community the most? Each venue has its proposed benefits. They range from the immediate items like construction employment and once built, vendors, hotel accommodations and restaurants and such for visiting concert goers, sports fans ,etc. Then there is collateral development. Is collateral development more important on I-Drive, than downtown? Then there is the attractiveness of the city / region as a whole to prospective business relocation. Will an I-Drive arena just be perceived as another tourist venue amongst a hundred others? Will a downtown venue give a boost to an area seriously needing a boost? Where are the jobs needed the most? All are part of the equation. Whereas an I-Drive venue may be great for a developer like Watson, does it really benefit the community in that location? Location, location, location!

So there needs to be a cost benefit analysis done. IF the full benefit is greater in one location over the other and financing is available through the tourist tax and private contributions, etc. then go for the best location; whichever it may be. As you can tell I have a personal preference (that's why I'm on URBAN Planet) but let's be smart not just frugal.

if, after analyzing all the fators we've discussed, Crotty sees the new arena as a tool to get and/or solidify more convention business to the OCCC, which includes the construction of more hotels, and lets not forget the "downtown Orange County" campaign, then its going on I-drive.

First off the whole "downtown Orange County" and "Mayor of Orange County" thing is fundamentally ridiculous and laughable. I-drive doesn

I heard on a Fox news report today that the Magic will pledge at least 43 million for a new arena. The report then stated that the Magic will know if they can afford more when the location is determined. I'm not sure if I heard correctly, but I believe that the PAC received 70 million in private donations.

$43 million will not get it done. $43 million will be regarded as an insult, and will hopefully be followed by an invitation to go elsewhere.

No kidding! :angry: Is it just me, or can Orlando be excruciatingly frustrating sometimes?

To clarify, if it is true that the Magic will offer a grand total of $43 million, it is not Orlando which is frustrating. Orlando will only become a frustration to me if it so whores after the Magic as to accept such an insulting offer.

Guys, it would be great to have a spectacular 'events center' downtown, but what about principles ?

And for persective's sake, the arena will cost nearly HALF-A-BILLION dollars to build when factoring in land aquisition and infrastructure costs, meaning that it the $43 million figure is true, the Magic are footing less than one-tenth the cost.

And don't be misled by the weasely designation 'events center'. Orlando and Orange are manifestly not wanting to build a new arena for fear of losing tractor pulls. It's very much about the Magic.

Seriously, this is now my 5th year here in Orlando and I am fan a of keeping the arena in the downtown area. I-drive is just a tourist area and thats what it will be. The arena should be kept downtown at whatever cost.

And what would you say if the Magic offered $43 million to build an arena that will cost close to half-a-billion all told ?

And what would you say if the Magic offered $43 million to build an arena that will cost close to half-a-billion all told ?

In all honesty, I'd rather the city/county put up the cash to build an arena that would help keep the Magic here et al. than to see them (city /county) use tax money to to dole out incentives to developers who in turn build more condos that start at $500k, or "affordable" housing starting at $300k, or more condo-hotels, timeshares, etc. I don't see the difference, other than I'd actually go to the arena to watch the games as opposed to never living in any of these condos going up as I wasn't born with a silver spoon nor will I ever graduate from law or medical school....

In all honesty, I'd rather the city/county put up the cash to build an arena that would help keep the Magic here et al. than to see them (city /county) use tax money to to dole out incentives to developers who in turn build more condos that start at $500k, or "affordable" housing starting at $300k, or more condo-hotels, timeshares, etc. I don't see the difference, other than I'd actually go to the arena to watch the games as opposed to never living in any of these condos going up as I wasn't born with a silver spoon nor will I ever graduate from law or medical school....

Irrespective of how miserly the Magic contibution might be ? Or, put another way, at any cost ?