Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I don't think anyone "hates" I-Drive, it is more on principle that the arena remain downtown than anything related to that particular location. I would just as much hate the arena built in Millenia or Altamonte Springs.

And while I agree that I-Drive is Orlando, I wish those with an agenda would quit placing so much effort on distinguishing Orange County from Orlando (particularly with regards to the Convention Center and I-Drive corridor). It should be incorporated.

I agree; it isn't about whether the city or county get it. Much of I drive is in the city and the city (even downtown) is in the county. It's about cultural centers. I-Drive is a cultural center mostly to the out of towners or locals when they want to feel like they're on vacation. Downtown is the cultural center mostly for the local residents. If this is an "events center," or whatever, intended to be primarily for the county residents (and I include all the city residents of Orlando, Apopka, Winter Park, etc.) then is should be in the local cultural center. ... that's downtown!

I agree; it isn't about whether the city or county get it. Much of I drive is in the city and the city (even downtown) is in the county. It's about cultural centers. I-Drive is a cultural center mostly to the out of towners or locals when they want to feel like they're on vacation. Downtown is the cultural center mostly for the local residents. If this is an "events center," or whatever, intended to be primarily for the county residents (and I include all the city residents of Orlando, Apopka, Winter Park, etc.) then is should be in the local cultural center. ... that's downtown!

I wonder if Osceola and Seminole Counties could increase their tourist bed tax as Orange is in the process of doing. Since residents from the entire region go to the games, they could chip in a smaller portion as it really is a regional facility. They would have to work together in the same way that the counties are working together on commuter rail. Just a thought... even though it's a pipedream.

I'm all for downtown development, but it makes me think when rumor says an I-drive arena could be built for $150 million less and it would help the convention center even more. If the extra $150 million could be used for the PAC and make it a world class facility instead of a nice mid size city facility I would be for that. I go to the arena a few times a year and live North of downtown. It would add 15 minutes to my drive, but a few times a year wouldn't be too bad. It's better than driving to Tampa for the big shows that currently bypass Orlando. The Tampa amphitheater has got to be the worst venue for watching a concert, but performers like it because there's a lot a staging room and it's cheap to rent.

Watch out for the Magic playing politics. The games they are playing are sickening and so transparent. If the decision to put the arena goes to I-drive watch them make a low ball financial offer and claim they were going to put up much more if it went downtown. If the decision is made to build the arena downtown they'll do the same thing in reverse saying they would have offered more if it was built on I-drive. It's sad how obvious their game playing is and how it makes them look. Then they wonder why people are cynical of thier offers.

All said and done I'd like the arena downtown and a world class PAC. Just like everyone else I want it all, but the problem is paying for it.

I'm all for downtown development, but it makes me think when rumor says an I-drive arena could be built for $150 million less and it would help the convention center even more. If the extra $150 million could be used for the PAC ...

Not sure if there would be and extra $150 mil. First Magic say they will put at least 43 mil depending on location. Probably more if in downtown. I doubt if they would take any savings and send it to the PAC. I suspect that the hoteliers would fight to direct any savings towards more tourist advertising. And finally, Orlando may or may not redirect the CRA money towards the PAC. IMO most of the savings from an I-Drive location benefits either the hoteliers or the Magic. The only savings to taxpayers is Orlando's CRA money which "could" be redirected to the PAC.

Edited by cwetteland

I don't know why everyone hates I-Drive so much.

I want the Arena in DT. But, as a worst case scenario, I-Drive is being revamped with enormous redevelopment which will give it way more amenities than DT ORL. Give it 2 years.

Actually, it already has more amenities than DT, save office space square footage. But once Blue Rose, Imagine, Prime redevelopment, the Point, Pointe Orlando, the multi-tower project at Belz, Hilton, Aquatica, and ... well, Peabody (no comment) get done, it will be incredible.

I-Drive IS "Orlando." If it isn't, then I don't know what is.

Like I said before, if they make the OCCC like GWCC, then do it. Otherwise, keep it DT.

All this development is well and good, but the majority of this list is not what I would consider an amenity. They mostly are hotels and condos that exist for paying guests or owners. I'm sure they'll have some overpriced hotel restaurants and bars if that's your thing, but it's not mine.

Look at Pointe Orlando. That would be an 'amenity' I suppose, some of the places there used to be good for a drink, and food if you were desperate, but every single restaurant/bar there had to have a gimmick/theme and had substandard food. The retail was standard mall stuff except for FAO Schwartz and one or 2 other local places that opened and closed over the years.

Point being, it's just a different atmosphere, one more for vacations than for locals. And one with horrible traffic if you ask me, but one could say the same about downtown I suppose. Someone mentioned that the era of DT office workers going to games after work would end, and I think there is some truth to that.

Someone mentioned that the era of DT office workers going to games after work would end, and I think there is some truth to that.

The above is very true. I think a lot more downtown workers and current and future residents are more likely to be season ticket holders than the average hotel industry worker on I-drive.

I don't know why everyone hates I-Drive so much.

Actually, it already has more amenities than DT, save office space square footage. But once Blue Rose, Imagine, Prime redevelopment, the Point, Pointe Orlando, the multi-tower project at Belz, Hilton, Aquatica, and ... well, Peabody (no comment) get done, it will be incredible.

I-Drive IS "Orlando." If it isn't, then I don't know what is.

I agree to most non-Orlandoans I Drive IS Orlando. However MOST people who live in greater Orlando area avoid I-Drive like the plague. Most of the so-called amenities you list are just plain tourist support. (Peabody, Hilton?) Amenity for who? Who in Orlando says I'm going to hang out at the Peaobody. Point Orlando is where those in hotels go when they get tired of the conventions or Disney. They ARE NOT amenities aimed at residents although a few go from time to time. Give me a break!

I don't think anyone "hates" I-Drive...I agree that I-Drive is Orlando.

exactly the problem.

I-Drive is seen as Orlando.. Unfortunately EVERYONE has been to Orlando, but NO ONE has really been to Orlando. I-Drive is seen by the world as Orlando, cause that's all they see outside of Disney. And I think it really frustrates a lot of us trying to build an urban city with a vibrant downtown. Not too mention tourists being told to AVOID DOWNTOWN at all costs, because it dangerous! where, Paramore? I dont really walk around Paramore when going out downtown. Please, I feel way more of a target walking the I-Drive area than downtown.

Anyway, YES, I do HATE I-Drive, to me its some kinda half-assed Vegas. minus any coolness, culture, or soul, even the little Vegas has :-). It's as anti-urban as you can get, and the fact that it is how people view Orlando is why most people on this board are so passionate about trying to establish an identity for our young city, to a day when I-Drive is no longer Orlando.

About 10 years ago i must have been about 13, all i could hear was my older siblings talking about wanting to go Church St. It was the place to go, I want that to return and with 55w solarie/plaza going up it will. BTW, we were tourist and were in the IDrive area. Never had any intentions back then to live here, because i did not know the real Orlando. Thanks to UCF now I AM HERE and loving it! KEEP THE ARENA DOWNTOWN!

Edited by MAntoniazzi

If I-drive and downtown is the same place, then Orlando will be the most active urban place in the southeast.

The tourist will only come to downtown if there is a light rail. If they come to downtown now, there is nothing to do anyway.

I feel the reverse is true also. More locals would go down to I-drive (even if only to point and laugh at all the tourists) if they didn't have to jump in their car and fight them in traffic. There are a few decent restaurants down there, but nothing you can't get elsewhere in town.

I think people might be a little more open to the I-Drive arena location if we had light rail leading to it, I know I would be. Either way light rail that direction is needed.

According to news channel 13, the city of Orlando has become increasingly impatient with the Magic. After meeting with the City again yesterday the team still would not reveal how much they would contribute to a new arena until negotiations are further along.

Commissioner Patty Sheehan said yesterday that she believes the team is pitting the city and Orange County against each other by considering building the arena along International Drive, rather than in downtown Orlando.

The team says that's not the case, but does say it's investigating all of it's alternatives at this point. Orange County commissioners today were supposed to hear about the economic impact of the arena project, along with a new performing arts center and renovtions to the Citrus Bowl.

I think its time that Orlando "the city" gets a fair chunk of the money we generate hosting millions of tourists. Trust me there is more than enough money to build all three of these projects.

Personally I would build the new arena over by the football stadium area with its own east-west / obt / I4 access, a huge parking garage and decent public transport for the downtowners to just ride in. The whole complex would be interconnected and save money on security and countless other services that could be grouped together. As another plus having only one construction site for two of the major projects would save a ton of money on the front end.

According to Channel 9 news last evening, a county commisioner is mounting a campaign to bring the Florida Marlins to Orlando. The money is already there in lieu of renovating the Citrus Bowl, and I believe that the Marlins have expressed their own intent to contribute a large chunk of money for relocation (wherever that may be).

In the end, the story sounded great but seemed as if it was the effort of one or a couple, rather than the board as a whole.

Obviously we cannot support a major league baseball franchise (at this point), but it is nice to see the ball rolling, no pun intended.

I think its time that Orlando "the city" gets a fair chunk of the money we generate hosting millions of tourists. Trust me there is more than enough money to build all three of these projects.

Personally I would build the new arena over by the football stadium area with its own east-west / obt / I4 access, a huge parking garage and decent public transport for the downtowners to just ride in. The whole complex would be interconnected and save money on security and countless other services that could be grouped together. As another plus having only one construction site for two of the major projects would save a ton of money on the front end.

yeah but the citrus bowl is in the booneys.. itd be better if they built it right by the edge of the 'expanding' downtown. plus it would be a headache if there was 2 events at the same time at the citrusbowl/arena as it sometimes DOES happen... they'd have to accomodate for parking for over 30-35k people and not to mention traffic rolling in. just be too chatoic and confusing for people. nice idea though.

According to Channel 9 news last evening, a county commisioner is mounting a campaign to bring the Florida Marlins to Orlando. The money is already there in lieu of renovating the Citrus Bowl, and I believe that the Marlins have expressed their own intent to contribute a large chunk of money for relocation (wherever that may be).

In the end, the story sounded great but seemed as if it was the effort of one or a couple, rather than the board as a whole.

Obviously we cannot support a major league baseball franchise (at this point), but it is nice to see the ball rolling, no pun intended.

This is the only additional pro sports franchise Orlando has a shot at (excluding MLS). Football is out of the question with three other teams in the state and forget the NHL. I think they should go for it. Orlando could not possibly support it any worse then South Florida. A new baseball stadium should go where the current arena is or why not put it by the convention center on Watson's land. Then everyone gets a team.

Edited by UPSDAN

Wow, getting the Marlins would be fantastic. A new stadium where the current arena sits would be perfect. Put the new arena by Church and South streets and a few parking garages in between both to share and you have a phenominal sports complex. Even if the Marlins don't work out and they use Orlando to get a better deal in South Florida do the same thing with the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx who are supposed to move here in two years, but on a smaller scale. The Diamond Jaxx are a AA team, but I read an article where it was hinted they could become a AAA team if and when they would move to Orlando.

I would prefer a baseball team and new stadium over a renovated Citrus Bowl. After UCF moves out it will get used about four times a year, two bowl games, the Florida Classic, and the world of motorsports event. Seems like a no brainer. Now if the NFL came knocking I'd be for the Citrus Bowl, but until then....