Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

To be honest it does make a whole lot more sense to do this then fix the Citrus Bowl:

Marlins Article

I don't know if Orlando can handle a MLB team yet. We've got 2.2 mil people metro and Miami has got 5 mil metro and they're having a hard time selling tickets. I think the only way it would work in downtown is once we get the commuter rail in and tourists come to see the games. Or put it on Idrive.

yeah but the citrus bowl is in the boonies.. itd be better if they built it right by the edge of the 'expanding' downtown. plus it would be a headache if there was 2 events at the same time at the citrus bowl/arena as it sometimes DOES happen... they'd have to accommodate for parking for over 30-35k people and not to mention traffic rolling in. just be too chaotic and confusing for people. nice idea though.

The citrus bowl is not in the boonies its right off obt and the east-west and near I4 strategically its a good spot for traffic flow. With upgrades to the traffic infrastructure IMO it's the best place for it.

It is smart to keep those crowds a good distance from the CBD ... when tens of thousands of people leave the games we dont need them clogging up orange ave and all the new residential in our city core; anyways most of them just want to get on the hwy and go home.

I dont know about your chaos fears. IMO public space is only as chaotic as the plan designed to control the flow. A central location with easy transportation access that keeps the minions off the core city streets ... I dont think it gets any better than that. :thumbsup:

I don't know if Orlando can handle a MLB team yet. We've got 2.2 mil people metro and Miami has got 5 mil metro and they're having a hard time selling tickets. I think the only way it would work in downtown is once we get the commuter rail in and tourists come to see the games. Or put it on Idrive.

I dont know if population in that sense necesarilly matters. See Green Bay Packers.

The citrus bowl is not in the boonies its right off obt and the east-west and near I4 strategically its a good spot for traffic flow. With upgrades to the traffic infrastructure IMO it's the best place for it.

It is smart to keep those crowds a good distance from the CBD ... when tens of thousands of people leave the games we dont need them clogging up orange ave and all the new residential in our city core; anyways most of them just want to get on the hwy and go home.

I dont know about your chaos fears. IMO public space is only as chaotic as the plan designed to control the flow. A central location with easy transportation access that keeps the minions off the core city streets ... I dont think it gets any better than that. :thumbsup:

I see what your getting at but I believe they already built and are still building I4 entrances/exits right on division (closest exit to get ot church/division if that is the location where the arena is built and seems to be the most popular amongst most people here:). Plus, I see church street much like ybor streets in tampa...where there would be businesses etc. and less housing..

Whether this pans out or not, you have to admit, it's an awesome idea

Wow!!!

Think about having a stadium like that in Orlando (preferably downtown) near a new arena (oh god please go downtown!) and the kind of status this would bring here

The goose bumps are building on me as we speak

Yeah I think it will add to the city for sure. Im sick of going to the TBPAC its too damned far (though I love the venue). The performing arts centre will be refreshing and will surely add to our status as a city.

well aren't you the optimist. :) first you say we need to build the arena for tourists on I-Drive, and now you're saying we shouldn't pursue getting an MLB team with the Citrus Bowl money because they might leave one day. the only problem is, the list of teams that have changed cities just once is much, much longer than the ones that have changed cities more than once. if there's a real possibility of luring the marlins, i think we should do it. the question is, is it really a possibility?

Edited by camstrang

well aren't you the optimist. :) first you say we need to build the arena for tourists on I-Drive, and now you're saying we shouldn't pursue getting an MLB team with the Citrus Bowl money because they might leave one day. the only problem is, the list of teams that have changed cities just once is much, much longer than the ones that have changed cities more than once. if there's a real possibility of luring the marlins, i think we should do it. the question is, is it really a possibility?

I didn't say that we need to build an arena on I-Drive for tourists. In fact, I've stated on several occasions that, all things being equal, I'd much prefer to have the arena downtown.

I suppose it's cool to think about having an MLB team, but if I date a chick who's just dumped her boyfriend for me, how can I be confident she won't dump me for the next guy ?

you can't. its the law of averages. you're gonna get dumped sooner or later; that's the nature of it. so, knowing this, you ....

sorry, getting off topic.

I would hate to see Orlando loose the Walt Disney World Classic if the Citrus Bowl isn't renovated. It pumps millions of dollars into the local economy each year and has broken numerous attendance records since it moved here from Tampa in 1997.

More than 600,000 fans have come to Central Florida for the game between the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) schools, making it the largest Historically Black College & University (HBCU) football game in the nation. The fans also come for much more than football as each year features a halftime showdown between two world-famous bands - Bethune-Cookman's Marching Wildcats and the Marching 100 of Florida A&M. Orlando would really lose out.

I would hate to see Orlando loose the Walt Disney World Classic if the Citrus Bowl isn't renovated. It pumps millions of dollars into the local economy each year and has broken numerous attendance records since it moved here from Tampa in 1997.

More than 600,000 fans have come to Central Florida for the game between the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (MEAC) schools, making it the largest Historically Black College & University (HBCU) football game in the nation. The fans also come for much more than football as each year features a halftime showdown between two world-famous bands - Bethune-Cookman's Marching Wildcats and the Marching 100 of Florida A&M. Orlando would really lose out.

I totally agree.

It certainly would be great to have it all...

But at the end of the day, somebody has to compromise or none of the projects will get completed.

Edited by uncreativeusername

But at the end of the day, somebody has to compromise or none of the projects will get completed.

Is that just your opinion or do you have some definative numbers saying that? IF the resort tax and other financing (including private donation) can pay for it THEN there is no reason (in fact it would be stupid) not to go for it all. It is rare that all the pieces come together at one time. And this may just be that time.

I was watching the proposals to the City counsel taped last Monday ... all involved (counsel members and presenters) were saying all three should be doable. Do you have different figures?

Is that just your opinion or do you have some definative numbers saying that? IF the resort tax and other financing (including private donation) can pay for it THEN there is no reason (in fact it would be stupid) not to go for it all. It is rare that all the pieces come together at one time. And this may just be that time.

I was watching the proposals to the City counsel taped last Monday ... all involved (counsel members and presenters) were saying all three should be doable. Do you have different figures?

Most of the numbers I've seen are pretty loose, and have a hole in there for 200-300 million IIRC. Just about the price of the Citrus Bowl renovations.

The more I think about it the more it makes sense to go after the marlins right now. If Orange County/Orlando would throw $250 Million at them for a stadium it would be a done deal. Orlando and Orange County could compromise and put the Magic arena beside the Convention Ctr for the cheaper price (Close to $100 Million cheaper). They then take the $250 million originally proposed for the Citrus bowl and use it for the Marlins Stadium (Located Downtown) and take the savings from putting the arena by the conv ctr. ($100 Million) for the Citrus Bowl renovation (Although scaled down slightly). You could also keep the existing arena downtown for special events (Like keeping the preds and minor league hockey DT). I could not see anyone super upset if all that unfolded (Buddy and Rich could both be legends in their own mind too). Downtown would loose the Magic but gain the Marlins. Although the Magic would still be just 10 miles further down the road. They could also go after the political conventions with the arena beside the convention ctr.

why should they? The New York Giants and New York Jets both play in New Jersey and are still called New York teams. When Disney advertises, does it say come to Orange County?

Disney isn't advertising to Orlandoans ... it's advertising to Indiana. They only know Orlando. The CURRENT Magic fans know the difference and I-Drive is not Orlando. So if you are saying call yourself Orlando Magic and the fans will be OK, then you are right, the tourists won't know better and those who want to catch an NBA game will be just as happy when their home town PACERS win.