Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

As much as I'd hate it because it'd be further away for me personally to go to the games, if they do move down there it'd be a very smart move from a business perspective. The Magic lose $10 million + a year, and they need to find a way to fill seats and increase revenue. If locals aren't coming out to support the team (which they're not), then they need to see if they can tap into the millions of visitors our city has each year.

Next to the convention center they'd be able to capitalize on tourists by the truckload. Think about it -- the majority of visitors aren't going to come up to downtown. But if there's an impressive huge arena within walking (or bus) distance from where they're staying, it's pretty likely tourists will attend games, which they aren't now. The team will be selling more merch (more first-time people at games), creating more fans around the country. The arena could have restaurants, shops, etc. all along the exterior that could be open every day, greatly increasing the revenue the arena could generate since it wouldn't just be on game days ... from a financial perspective, it'd be a smart move. Downtown just can't offer that kind of accessibility and additional revenue opportunities right now. Maybe in 10 years, but not now.

Not to mention, having an arena in that corridor would add a massive new entertainment option to attract conventions. Those things factor in when large conventions are deciding where to take their shows. Honestly, an arena next to the convention center makes sense on a lot of levels. Yes, it'd be a step backward for downtown specifically, but it'd be a step forward for the big picture growth of the city.

And -- it guarantees the team will stay in Orlando. Whatever's needed to make sure that happens, I'm for.

Light rail would also help capitalize on getting people not just to Magic games but to downtown. It would also alleviate a lot of the I-Drive traffic. BTW this idea has been floated before when people talked about builing an arena on Universal's property.

Edited by demon

Looks like it's much ado about nothing:

Magic say there's nothing serious about talk of move to tourist area

And F-L-A, despite your condescending tone, I was simply pointing out that walk-up sales would increase in that area because it'd bring more awareness and accessibility to the games for people who currently aren't going. In no way was I implying that tourists would replace season ticket holders and local fan support. It'd maybe fill in those few thousand empty seats that are at every game. Again, I want the arena to stay downtown, but I could at least see the business reason why they'd entertain the thought of moving. But according to the Sentinel article, it's not going to happen, so there's nothing to worry about ...

I don't know if this has occured to you, but a few tourists paying to get into a Magic game doesn't count as "support". Unless you want the Magic to be the away team every single night in their own arena. Putting an arena on I-Drive is simply ludicrous. They could build something similar to an arena for conventions, but not for the Magic to play in.

you do realise that people actually DO live in SW orange county

I should, considering I'm a Williamsburg resident. I fail to see your point though.

Go Williamsburg!

No, seriously, think of the traffic it would bring to our side... wandering through Universal Blvd. and into the neighborhood. Wicked traffic from Hunter's Creekers (yes, a new term for them) getting to the arena en mass.

Oy.

Go Williamsburg!

No, seriously, think of the traffic it would bring to our side... wandering through Universal Blvd. and into the neighborhood. Wicked traffic from Hunter's Creekers (yes, a new term for them) getting to the arena en mass.

Oy.

What do you mean by "them"

*Hunter's Creeker"

The Palace of Auburn Hills is twice as far from Downtown Detroit as an arena on I-Drive would be from Downtown Orlando, so the idea isn't exactly far-fetched.

I find it funny that the Palace is the same age as the TD Waterhouse.....but was built for far less money, and is still a top notch arena (although they have kept it up.....2 major additions to keep it current)

I guess that is what happens when the private sector builds the facility, and not the public sector.

I don't want to take it upon myself to speak for my "people" but I know I'm not in any rush to go and see a magic game now because they have a hispanic player. Maybe others are though...who knows.

The Magic front office stated that their website traffic went from 50k hits to 100k the day the news about Arroyo went public. That doesn't necessarily translate into direct sales, but I'm sure it has helped. There have probably been more Puerto Ricans at the couple of games that he has played than there has been Turkish people have come in the few years of Turkoglu being with the Magic. :thumbsup:

I have been fortunate to make it to most Magic games this season including the games since we acquired Arroyo. There has been a fantastic response from what I can tell by the Hispanic community since the acquisition. Every time he scores the place seems to go crazy. Obviously I can't testify for ticket sales but I would venture to say they have increased, with the net difference as a result of the hispanic population in Orlando. Friday for example there were more people than you would excpect for a team that has won only 20 games playing the Seattle Supersonics.

Just my $.02

The Magic front office stated that their website traffic went from 50k hits to 100k the day the news about Arroyo went public. That doesn't necessarily translate into direct sales, but I'm sure it has helped. There have probably been more Puerto Ricans at the couple of games that he has played than there has been Turkish people have come in the few years of Turkoglu being with the Magic. :thumbsup:

Yes I guess there is some sense of pride for some but I don't really care. Could it have been possible thought that maybe it was just curiosity for a new player? Hispanic or not. I don't know you probably know more than I do, I don't really follow basketball.

Looks like it's much ado about nothing:

Magic say there's nothing serious about talk of move to tourist area

And F-L-A, despite your condescending tone, I was simply pointing out that walk-up sales would increase in that area because it'd bring more awareness and accessibility to the games for people who currently aren't going. In no way was I implying that tourists would replace season ticket holders and local fan support. It'd maybe fill in those few thousand empty seats that are at every game. Again, I want the arena to stay downtown, but I could at least see the business reason why they'd entertain the thought of moving. But according to the Sentinel article, it's not going to happen, so there's nothing to worry about ...

Did you folks not read/hear Mayor Dyer's latest speech? He announced a Public Safety Complex on the east side of downtown....Primrose. Many of the Fire/Police Dept offices will be moving there....isn't that the same Public Safety Complex that was going to be built on South Street just west of I-4??? Hmmmm....

Could it be that the big chunk of land the City assembled for the Public Safety Complex in Parramore will be used for this new Arena/entertainment complex? Wouldn't that generate alot of activity considering it is a stonethrow away from Church Street and 55 West?

Maybe I'm stretching, but I think I might be on to something... :shok:

Your out of control with the whole Paramore thing.

Why? Because you are totally against Parramore? Is it my fault you can't come to grips with Parramore's potential?

Is my thought process not based on actual facts?

I wish I had as much time as you to spend on this site to debate your posts. I just read your posts, without criticism.

Why? Because you are totally against Parramore? Is it my fault you can't come to grips with Parramore's potential?

Is my thought process not based on actual facts?

I wish I had as much time as you to spend on this site to debate your posts. I just read your posts, without criticism.

edit: over the line.

At the risk of sounding redundant let me reiterate that there is potential just not now, thats it, nothing personal.

Edited by orlandonative

Totally against Paramore? Your the one that wants to tear the whole thing down and get rid of "the evil black people". Not coming to grips with it's pontential would imply that I have some personal interest in it's failure. What you don't realize (the actual facts) is that in the last year we've have reviewed multiple projects west of I-4. All of them had something in common, they all failed.

At the risk of sounding redundant let me reiterate that there is potential just not now, thats it, nothing personal.

Let's not get into the racism issue. I assure you, my involvement and respect for the black community is not even worth discussing on this forum nor to someone like you. I always wondered why some of you get defensive or quiet on certain issues, especially one's involving Parramore. In all my previous comments, I said get rid of drugs and prostitution and give decent housing to the hard working black community that needs a hand. You are the one that seems to group all of them into the "eveil category. I'm not sure which you detest more, Blacks or Democrats (especilly Mayors).....Hmmm.

Let's not get into the racism issue. I assure you, my involvement and respect for the black community is not even worth discussing on this forum nor to someone like you. I always wondered why some of you get defensive or quiet on certain issues, especially one's involving Parramore. In all my previous comments, I said get rid of drugs and prostitution and give decent housing to the hard working black community that needs a hand. You are the one that seems to group all of them into the "eveil category. I'm not sure which you detest more, Blacks or Democrats (especilly Mayors).....Hmmm.

Registered Democrat. Delegate for the state of Florida

edit: over the line.

Glad to see you have the capacity to "Edit" your comments after realizing you slipped. You must be a Forum administrator and probably a city employee that doesn't share Mayor Dyer's vision.

The common thing I see with the 5 failed Parramore proposals you reviewed in the past is not the fact they failed.....but rather that you reviewed them!

You have convinced me to refrain from actually contributing further....all the best to Orlando.

The common thing I see with the 5 failed Parramore proposals you reviewed in the past is not the fact they failed.....but rather that you reviewed them!

I know you are but what am I? Seriously though, I think Dyers great and I actually voted for him. And no, I don't work for the city.

Edited by orlandonative