Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

So far it's mainly been spent on the convention center, and the expansion of the covention center, and the expansion of the expansion of the convention center ... and a little bit to advertise tourism and the convention center.

Wonder how much money they gave Dougie to stay quiet on the CC expansion.This whole thing makes me sick.He's a convicted felon for goodness sakes!

The Orlando Business Journal is reporting that The Martin Andersen-Garcia Andersen Foundation is donating $1 million to help build the Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center. The Foundation's gift brings the total amount of charitable donations raised to $68 million.

District 1 Commissioner Phil Diamond was not satisfied with the Magic's contribution and did not approve of renovating the Citrus Bowl if it would not be brought up to the standard of an NFL or MLB-capable facility.

Edited by bic

I think it will be interesting to see what happens at the county level. Crotty has made it quite clear that he is all or nothing regarding these projects. Meanwhile, word is now starting to surface regarding the PAC and that it might be a bit harder to fund than the other two venues.

District 1 Commissioner Phil Diamond was not satisfied with the Magic's contribution and did not approve of renovating the Citrus Bowl if it would not be brought up to the standard of an NFL or MLB-capable facility.

Can't say I can argue with him there. If they are going to spend the money, the place should be first class all the way. Though to spend that kind of money, they might as well spend the extra money and just build a new one some place more logical and knock down the citrus bowl and sell that land or give it back to the community. At least than Orlando could try to bring in a pro-team to the market.

All in all though, very happy this went through.

I agree wholeheartedly. I understand that the current Citrus Bowl is seriously showing its age and that something needs to be done, but I am not in favor of spending so much money on a renovation...ESPECIALLY if it could possibly compromise the construction of the new arena and performing arts center.

If I had it my way, I would use a small portion of the money allocated for the Citrus Bowl for the most essential renovations and then use the remainder to purchase land in Parramore adjacent to the proposed arena site for a future stadium. That way, years down the road when the city wants to pursue a major league football or baseball team, it can go all out with a brand new stadium proposal in desirable downtown location. It would be able to take advantage of the arena's existing parking structures and would be near existing mass transit lines. Worst comes to worst, if the city decides not to propose a new stadium, it sells the land years down the road for a profit.

I think it will be interesting to see what happens at the county level. Crotty has made it quite clear that he is all or nothing regarding these projects. Meanwhile, word is now starting to surface regarding the PAC and that it might be a bit harder to fund than the other two venues.

I must say that this surprises me, given that it costs less than the arena, and also that the outpouring of private contributions has been most impressive.

I must say that this surprises me, given that it costs less than the arena, and also that the outpouring of private contributions has been most impressive.

The outcome of the property tax reform is going to weigh heavy on the PAC. All indications is that the County commisioners will not do a thing until the reform is complete.

I agree wholeheartedly. I understand that the current Citrus Bowl is seriously showing its age and that something needs to be done, but I am not in favor of spending so much money on a renovation...ESPECIALLY if it could possibly compromise the construction of the new arena and performing arts center.

If I had it my way, I would use a small portion of the money allocated for the Citrus Bowl for the most essential renovations and then use the remainder to purchase land in Parramore adjacent to the proposed arena site for a future stadium. That way, years down the road when the city wants to pursue a major league football or baseball team, it can go all out with a brand new stadium proposal in desirable downtown location. It would be able to take advantage of the arena's existing parking structures and would be near existing mass transit lines. Worst comes to worst, if the city decides not to propose a new stadium, it sells the land years down the road for a profit.

and if i had my, bic, you would get your way! brilliant idea!

This would make too much sense. I'd just rather see them make like 25-40 mill in minor improvements and push toward a long term solution of building a new facility that fits better in the community. If' it's such a money maker and a blessing to our economy as they sell this "2 game a year" venue. They should be able to get support to build a new one. This renovation only preserves the status quo and doesn't push us to the next level.

They had Steve Hogan on Jeep Midnight Magic talking about the citrus bowl and he didn't do a great job imo of justifying what these renovation would help us to achieve that would make the venue more effective. This current proposal seems like it's about keeping from having a loss.

These $ figures get thrown around like it's play money. If UCF can build a stadium from scratch for 45 to 50 million I would think you could do one heck of a renovation for 175 million. The upper decks of the Citrus bowl should just need cosmetic fixes. The lower bowl, concession stands, and bathrooms need completely rebuilt. Doesn't 175 million sound like eneough to rebuild a lower bowl of about 45,000 - 50,000 seats when UCF can do it for under 50 million???? Yea, it won't be up to NFL standards, but with a little planning they could leave room for luxury suites to be retrofitted in by perhaps removing some of the seating, and then replacing that lost seating by closing in the other endzone in the future.

These $ figures get thrown around like it's play money. If UCF can build a stadium from scratch for 45 to 50 million I would think you could do one heck of a renovation for 175 million. The upper decks of the Citrus bowl should just need cosmetic fixes. The lower bowl, concession stands, and bathrooms need completely rebuilt. Doesn't 175 million sound like eneough to rebuild a lower bowl of about 45,000 - 50,000 seats when UCF can do it for under 50 million???? Yea, it won't be up to NFL standards, but with a little planning they could leave room for luxury suites to be retrofitted in by perhaps removing some of the seating, and then replacing that lost seating by closing in the other endzone in the future.

I believe the plan is already to close in that endzone. If you look at this drawing linked below they have up on the O-Sen has it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo...11/26604316.jpg

To me it seems the major expense is going to come from adding convention space to the Citrus Bowl. Which I'm not sold on people going to the citrus bowl to have meetings on non-game day.