Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

...as in Martin Andersen Bee Line Expressway?

That's the guy. Andersen was the long-time owner and publisher of The Orlando Sentinel until he sold out in 1976 to the Chicago Tribune. For years, he was one of Orlando's prime movers and shakers. Without Andersen, many of the basic building blocks of postwar Orlando like the Martin Plant, I4, the Turnpike, NTC, UCF and even Disney might well have passed us by.

He was famous for sitting with Linton Allen and later Billy Dial from First National (now SunTrust) at a coffee shop along Orange Ave. and making the mega-decisions that helped Orlando grow up. While that sort of white, male, insulated power is no longer appropriate as we have become more cosmopolitan, he is still a great local historical figure.

Where can I learn more about Martin Andersen? He sounds fascinating.

There is a bio by Ormund Powers (long time Sentinel reporter), "Martin Andersen: Editor, Publisher, Galley Boy", available from the Orange County Library System (free delivery available for library patrons if you order online).

Does anyone really think that the hiring of Billy D. will affect the success/failure of the proposed arena?

yes.

oh, the Magic will still suck, but hiring Billy D goes toward the appearance that they are trying to do something not to suck. Billy D will put people in the stands, but he won't have control over who they draft, so they will still suck.

the Magic have effectively ruined UF's chance at a legacy under Donovan for what... so that the Magic can still suck? so they can fool people into thinking that they care about winning? F*ck the Magic. Now I really hate the NBA.

God help DeVos if they don't build the new arena after ruining Donovan's Gator career with his sh*t soap money.

and yes, I do have issues...

( I edited only b/c I forgot the "y" on "they")

Edited by JRS1

yes.

oh, the Magic will still suck, but hiring Billy D goes toward the appearance that they are trying to do something not to suck. Billy D will put people in the stands, but he won't have control over who they draft, so they will still suck.

the Magic have effectively ruined UF's chance at a legacy under Donovan for what... so that the Magic can still suck? so they can fool people into thinking that they care about winning? F*ck the Magic. Now I really hate the NBA.

God help DeVos if they don't build the new arena after ruining Donovan's Gator career with his sh*t soap money.

and yes, I do have issues...

( I edited only b/c I forgot the "y" on "they")

I've seen twisted logic before but wow!. Any team looking for a good coach would be nuts not offering Billy. But to you the Magic are the bad guy. I'm sure this isn't the first time BD has gotten an offer to leave. Billy didn't have to accept the offer but you somehow blame the Magic for making the offer. That's totally twisted.

I've seen twisted logic before but wow!. Any team looking for a good coach would be nuts not offering Billy. But to you the Magic are the bad guy. I'm sure this isn't the first time BD has gotten an offer to leave. Billy didn't have to accept the offer but you somehow blame the Magic for making the offer. That's totally twisted.

ESPN is reporting that BD has changed his mind and want's to return to Florida. The Magic now have to make a decision on wether or not to let him out of his contract.

Edited by That Crazy Guy

those were the ravings of an emotionally distraught gator.

but, the stars came back into alignment and Billy is coming back.

As for the Magic: the organization stinks. If they had any sense, they would hire an NBA experienced coach; someone like Larry Brown or whatever. they waste draft picks on players who have a history of injuries-- Grant and Reddick (L/S HNP) and european players who don't pan out over top american talent. they say no to Rodman when he would have still packed the arena with his wrinkly grean dew b/c he didn't represent the values of the organization.

and this is the organization who throws $$$ at Billy D in a feable attempt to right the wrongs of poor draft picking and personnel trading (T-Mac; Penny; Shaq; Gooden; et al) as though hiring him will make a difference. it won't and they know it. they just wanted to make any move in the P.R. department to help their cause to get a new arena... by screwing UF.

well, I think Billy came to his senses and saw it for what it was and came back. The Magic need to restructure their front office and get some players in there that can play and hire a PROVEN NBA coach, not some college sensation. NCAA and NBA are two totally different worlds.

to close, the Magic are/were the bad guy b/c they have a committment to losing and their attempt to improve was a bad faith attempt in hiring Donovan. And I'm not going to support a team that has it's collective head in it's @ss at the cost of my Gators just b/c they think their new coaching hire will make a difference in the right direction. Hiring Donovan isn't the answer and they know it; getting the right players is the answer. Grant Hill makes way more per year than Donovan would have and he's hurt most of the time and is past his prime. Hiring DOnovan was just a P.R. move to appease Magic fans b/c Donovan is hot right now.. but he's not the answer and they know it-- that's why they're the bad guy.

read Bianchi's article and the Sentinel's articles about the subject.

Billy Donovan caused this mess, you don't sign a contract if you aren't serious about what you're signing. I find it odd that Florida fans might celebrate his comeback after he basically stood them up as well by saying he was going to sign the contract and than went to the magic. Every day he's looking more and more like a liar.

Billy Donovan caused this mess, you don't sign a contract if you aren't serious about what you're signing. I find it odd that Florida fans might celebrate his comeback after he basically stood them up as well by saying he was going to sign the contract and than went to the magic. Every day he's looking more and more like a liar.

Well, for one thing, you're obviously not a Gator fan.

For another, although many of us are not happy with the way Billy handled this, we're glad he didn't throw himself down the blackhole which is the Magic organization.

Well, for one thing, you're obviously not a Gator fan.

For another, although many of us are not happy with the way Billy handled this, we're glad he didn't throw himself down the blackhole which is the Magic organization.

He's a fool in my opinion. He left a legacy at UF already, he would have made twice as much, and he made himself look like a clown. People just aren't good for their word (written or not) anymore.

Yes, the Magic are in a hole. They made a valiant attempt to get out of it, and your boy Billy seems to have given Orlando the big finger. Thanks Billy.

Edited by EngineerNole

He's a fool in my opinion. He left a legacy at UF already, he would have made twice as much, and he made himself look like a clown. People just aren't good for their word (written or not) anymore.

Yes, the Magic are in a hole. They made a valiant attempt to get out of it, and your boy Billy seems to have given Orlando the big finger. Thanks Billy.

Spoken like a true (and embittered) Nole fan. Glad he gave you the finger, now that you mention it.

the Magic got what they deserved. they came out of nowhere with this big $$$ all of the sudden and told him to decide in no time flat. who wouldn't say yes to that kind of money under those circumstances? but he came to his senses after he realized where his heart was (as opposed to his wallet).

I admit is it the most bizarre set of circumstances I've ever experienced w/re to a coaching change. maybe by Friday night he realized what a bunch of morons the Magic front office were and figured he better salvage his reputation and career while he still could. there's probably some other factors that the public doesn't know about.

the Magic got what they deserved. they came out of nowhere with this big $$$ all of the sudden and told him to decide in no time flat. who wouldn't say yes to that kind of money under those circumstances? but he came to his senses after he realized where his heart was (as opposed to his wallet).

I admit is it the most bizarre set of circumstances I've ever experienced w/re to a coaching change. maybe by Friday night he realized what a bunch of morons the Magic front office were and figured he better salvage his reputation and career while he still could. there's probably some other factors that the public doesn't know about.

Way to craft a hypothetical excuse for Billy. Nosense yes but you took a stab at it. The Magic "blindsided him with money." Cute.

Sounds like poor George Baily vs mean ol' Mr. Potter.

i think people here are letting their college pride get in the way of reason.

the bottom line is a legal binding contract was signed. in the real world, you put on your big boy pants and honor a legal contract that you signed already.

if he wasnt sure then he should have told the magic, "im sorry, but i will need more time to think it over. if you cannot wait a few more days, then i will understand and appreciate that you considered me for the job. i think it would be best if you continued in your coaching search."

many of you are acting as if this situation is not billy's fault. i know he has done wonders for UF basketball, but at some point he has to be held accountable for his actions (maybe be forced to refund any of the 200 season tickets that were sold because of him).

i am a UF fan, but dont let my UF pride blind my common sense. im glad UF will have billy back and the magic will hire SVG, who i thought was a better fit all along. however, i did lose some respect for billy. man up to your actions.

Edited by shardoon

He shouldn't have signed the deal if he wasn't sure it was what he wanted. He's now made a whole organization look bad who already has enough negative press to deal with as is. I'm curious how many of those 200 who bought have now asked for refunds.

i think people here are letting their college pride get in the way of reason.

the bottom line is a legal binding contract was signed. in the real world, you put on your big boy pants and honor a legal contract that you signed already.

if he wasnt sure then he should have told the magic, "im sorry, but i will need more time to think it over. if you cannot wait a few more days, then i will understand and appreciate that you considered me for the job. i think it would be best if you continued in your coaching search."

many of you are acting as if this situation is not billy's fault. i know he has done wonders for UF basketball, but at some point he has to be held accountable for his actions (maybe be forced to refund any of the 200 season tickets that were sold because of him).

i am a UF fan, but dont let my UF pride blind my common sense. im glad UF will have billy back and the magic will hire SVG, who i thought was a better fit all along. however, i did lose some respect for billy. man up to your actions.

I don't know what it would mean for Billy to 'man up' at this point. He's already the subject of nationwide ridicule.

I think the Magic should hold him to this contract. He shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NBA for 5 years and I'll go even further, shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NCAA for 5 years. I don't know what the UF AD was thinking talking to Billy when he was under contract with another team.

The Magic should release him but let him sit at home for 5 years until the contract is run out.

I think the Magic should hold him to this contract. He shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NBA for 5 years and I'll go even further, shouldn't be allowed to coach in the NCAA for 5 years. I don't know what the UF AD was thinking talking to Billy when he was under contract with another team.

The Magic should release him but let him sit at home for 5 years until the contract is run out.

You're all over the place. Hold him to his contract and make a$$e$ of themselves, or keep him out of the NBA for five years ? And who's going to hire him anyway ? Plus, not being in the NBA is a blessing in my book.

You're all over the place. Hold him to his contract and make a$$e$ of themselves, or keep him out of the NBA for five years ? And who's going to hire him anyway ? Plus, not being in the NBA is a blessing in my book.

I'll rephrase. The Magic should release him on condition he won't take an NBA or NCAA contract for the next 5 basketball seasons.