Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I wouldn't say "never" but we won't have a basketball team to play in a new arena, and we might be looking at a lower rung bowl game(s), and Live Nation might leave some shows out of Orlando off the broadway tour.

I thought that for awhile. 19th best TV market, control of Tampa's TV market 12th, some of Jacksonville's. I believe that is the big reason the Magic have remained here while most professional franchises would have uprooted by now.

I really believe that if this vote doesn't go through the Magic will start looking elsewhere.

Prediction:

All this blah blah is political maneuvering of the City, County, and Commissioners trying to reassure their constituents that they are protecting their interest and actually doing something to earn their dolllar....and of course their vote.

As a compromise, the Events Center and Performing Arts Center will be approved while the Citrus Bowl renovation will be dropped. The Citrus Bowl is not viable in today's "environment". It will be approved during the next Real Estate psitive cycle which for Orlando will not be very long 3-5 yrs. By then, a baseball (Marlins) or a football team (Jax?) might be ready for a move.

The Parramore, Orlando, Orange County, and Metro Orlando economies really need both of these venues. It is no longer an entertainment for the rich issue anymore or a let's line the pockets of the billionaire's issue. If the money doesn't go for Entertainment Venues, which the local taxpayers can be proud of and enjoy, it will go to the Hotel/Hospitality billionaire's, which cater to more tourists....and we know how irritating that is.

Our government officials are studying the impact of these venues carefully and appear to be doing it right. They are insuring the construction sub-contracting is awarded to Minority and Women businesses. In addition, they have hired a consulting/training outfit to prepare the local workforce for many of the construction jobs that will be available. This means many of the homeless, drug addicts, and school dropouts hanging out on street corners and commiting the crime will have an alternative to stealing and pushing drugs. It appears to be well thought out and a giant step in the right direction. We need to set aside negativism or personal agendas and support our local economy. These venues, apart from making the rich richer, they have secondary benefits for the less fortunate, including us! Hopefully, we won't have to worry so much about becoming the next crime victim!

I think $200M is a waste of $$$ to dump on the Citrus Bowl (esp. when they say they can build that retractible roof dome for $500M), but, I can't see them abandoning it and losing 2 decent bowl games per year to another Florida city. I just don't see it.

not sure if anyone has posted this yet...

a little blurb from over on warchant.

great news.

UF did that a few times-- early '90's vs. Miss. St. and mid-'80's vs. Miami I think (might of been Tampa). It's a great idea when it's an away game for the home state team.

Now, didn't ND express interest in playing a game in O-Town this past year? The up-side is that they use the stadium. The down side is that the out-of-state team gets a foothold on local recruiting that may hurt the local teams.

great news.

UF did that a few times-- early '90's vs. Miss. St. and mid-'80's vs. Miami I think (might of been Tampa). It's a great idea when it's an away game for the home state team.

Now, didn't ND express interest in playing a game in O-Town this past year? The up-side is that they use the stadium. The down side is that the out-of-state team gets a foothold on local recruiting that may hurt the local teams.

Notre Dame is a household name. They don't need anymore advertising to help them. They need to be better to get our recruits.

UF has a home and away with UM in 2008 and 2009. Maybe they should do the away game in 2009 at the Citrus Bowl.

It's 2008 and 2013. I doubt UF will agree to any games at the Citrus Bowl unless it's a one game deal with a team. UF makes over $3M per home game in a stadium that is filled no matter what. FSU draws similarly (I am a UF alum, but not trying to bash FSU), however the distance of the drive leaves some smaller games less attended. That is a reason why FSU has been willing to play the Citrus Bowl in some capacity.

UF on the otherhand is less than 2 hours away, it's pointless for them to lose money on a game just to hold it in Orlando. On Miami's end, their home game against UF is a guarenteed sellout, something that is not common for them.

It's 2008 and 2013. I doubt UF will agree to any games at the Citrus Bowl unless it's a one game deal with a team. UF makes over $3M per home game in a stadium that is filled no matter what. FSU draws similarly (I am a UF alum, but not trying to bash FSU), however the distance of the drive leaves some smaller games less attended. That is a reason why FSU has been willing to play the Citrus Bowl in some capacity.

UF on the otherhand is less than 2 hours away, it's pointless for them to lose money on a game just to hold it in Orlando. On Miami's end, their home game against UF is a guarenteed sellout, something that is not common for them.

well, yeah, I would never propose that UF play a home game in ORL... only the away game. They used to do it with Miss. St. until Jackie Sherrill gave us the finger in 1992. my bad on the 2009 date (didn't know about that... 1 game every 5 years? why not 1 home & away every 5 years?).

Anyway, didn't UF play UM in Tampa back in 1985 or something? similar deal?

Hotelier plots anti-venue political strategy

David Damron and Mark Schlueb {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writers

July 18, 2007

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...rl_tab01_layout

I don't have a lot of time to go into this, but Rosen's a slime bag. In the history of great cities they have always been lead by great men. Especially those that have profitted on the backs of its residents. Andrew Carnegie comes to mind an I think of his emphasis on paying lower wages simply so he could reinvest the money into major cultural institutions around the country for their enlightenment. At some point it has to become obvious to these people that these venues are being designed to lift the spirit of the population of Central Florida.

It's not a very sophisticated area due in large part to the lack of an established class of well educated wealthy individuals that believe in the importance of the humanities. For Rosen to have had a party as the city lost one of its greatest opportunities to advance into the 21st C. and solve a very pertinent urban problem is repulsive. I hope that the people elected will be smart enough to reject this chicanery.

I don't have a lot of time to go into this, but Rosen's a slime bag. In the history of great cities they have always been lead by great men. Especially those that have profitted on the backs of its residents. Andrew Carnegie comes to mind an I think of his emphasis on paying lower wages simply so he could reinvest the money into major cultural institutions around the country for their enlightenment. At some point it has to become obvious to these people that these venues are being designed to lift the spirit of the population of Central Florida.

It's not a very sophisticated area due in large part to the lack of an established class of well educated wealthy individuals that believe in the importance of the humanities. For Rosen to have had a party as the city lost one of its greatest opportunities to advance into the 21st C. and solve a very pertinent urban problem is repulsive. I hope that the people elected will be smart enough to reject this chicanery.

I agree, this guy takes the meaning of low to new levels. Instead of taking a step back, after he received an additional half cent worth of free advertising, and reward the community he is making a ton of money off of, he back stabs the community at the last minute! What a greedy SOB. Did you notice how he wants it to be used to fight crime in the TOURIST CORRIDOR, not Orange County or Downtown Orlando. What a bitter old rich man! I say BOYCOTT his Hotels/Resorts.

If the chose is between benefiting Rosen's Hotels/Resorts and the Magic....I pick the Magic! At least it will have an economic impact that will benefit Orlando and help cleanup Parramore.

well, yeah, I would never propose that UF play a home game in ORL... only the away game. They used to do it with Miss. St. until Jackie Sherrill gave us the finger in 1992. my bad on the 2009 date (didn't know about that... 1 game every 5 years? why not 1 home & away every 5 years?).

Anyway, didn't UF play UM in Tampa back in 1985 or something? similar deal?

I believe the current agreement for UF/Miami was because the NCAA originally only granted the 12th game in years where the opening weekend started in August, giving them 15 weeks of a season. That would have been 2008 and 2013; even after the 12th game that deal stuck.

Yes they played in Tampa in 1984

I agree, this guy takes the meaning of low to new levels. Instead of taking a step back, after he received an additional half cent worth of free advertising, and reward the community he is making a ton of money off of, he back stabs the community at the last minute! What a greedy SOB. Did you notice how he wants it to be used to fight crime in the TOURIST CORRIDOR, not Orange County or Downtown Orlando. What a bitter old rich man! I say BOYCOTT his Hotels/Resorts.

If the chose is between benefiting Rosen's Hotels/Resorts and the Magic....I pick the Magic! At least it will have an economic impact that will benefit Orlando and help cleanup Parramore.

Mears is already boycotting his properties. They will not send any convention business there. Everyone needs to do the same.

July 18, 2007

I think all of you all think the way i do.First off Mr Rosen doesent give a damn about us[people who would use and enjoy al lthree of these venues.And second as i have said before how much money has Rosen spent out of his pockets for construction of the convention center.How much money has he made off of all the people going to the conventions millions? It just makes me sick how a business man like him can throw his wait around and everyone listens to him.I think he is very selfish and want everything his way.He dont care about the people that lives here thats for sure!

July 18, 2007

He makes me sick. When I opened up my newspaper today at school the rage consumed me. So I emailed my commissioner, and hopefully helped just a little bit. Greed is a disgusting thing, and unfortunately money talks.