Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Magic give details on gyms; Tourist board OKs venues deal

posted by Mark Skoneki on Jul 25, 2007 2:13:36 PM

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_poli...over/index.html

"The Tourist Development Council voted 6-1, with hotelier Harris Rosen the only dissenter. Rosen typically uses his appointed position on the advisory board as a platform to blast what he considers irresponsible spending. The outspoken venues opponent was silent today, however."

Yeah, just saw that and I'm queasy as well. O-Native say something to make us feel good again.

That's is job, after all.

What I didn't expect is a firm no from Moore.

Moreover, the four projected yes votes had '?' poised over their names, whereas Brummer and Moore were 'expected' to vote no.

That's is job, after all.

What I didn't expect is a firm no from Moore.

Moreover, the four projected yes votes had '?' poised over their names, whereas Brummer and Moore were 'expected' to vote no.

I think everybody had "?" even Crotty. Only because nobody's voted yet.

The Sentinel this morning (A10) had Jacobs in the "leaning yes" column. I hope the greening and 5 gyms deal puts her over the top. Full breakdown in the paper was:

Crotty YES

Brummer NO

Moore Leaning No

All other Leaning Yes.

they just reported the two people who are voting no got contributions in the amt of 2500 and 4000ish to their campaign right when the proposed venues talks were brought up. shady...? i dont know.

Deal is done. 5 yes, 2 no. Bank it, and celebrate.

are you teresa? hahaha

i have a feeling the magic will make a surprise announcement tomorrow morning about donating extra $$

Edited by PMWMagic

CNL to give $10M to new performing arts center

Orlando Business Journal

SUMMARY:

CNL Financial Group is donating $10 million towards the construction of the new performing arts center, bringing the total amount of private-sector contributions close to $80 million, $30 million short of its $110 million goal. Since the gift is so large, the outdoor plaza and performance area will be named CNLPark.

CNL to give $10M to new performing arts center

Orlando Business Journal

SUMMARY:

CNL Financial Group is donating $10 million towards the construction of the new performing arts center, bringing the total amount of private-sector contributions close to $80 million, $30 million short of its $110 million goal. Since the gift is so large, the outdoor plaza and performance area will be named CNLPark.

I'm still thinking that, *if the package passes tomorrow*, $80 mil is enough in private contributions to trigger construction.

1 vote gained, 1 lost on venues

Orlando Business Journal Article

SUMMARY:

The Magic's commitment to build five new gyms around Orlando has persuaded Orange County Commissioner Mildred Fernandez to vote in favor of the new venues. Apparently that's not good enough for Commissioner Tiffany Moore, who wants the Magic to contribute an additional $30 million--$5 million for educational funding for children within a 3-mile radius of the new arena and $25 million to help support cultural and sporting activities around Orange County. She also wants an agreement that will ensure that minority companies will be involved with at least 30% of the construction contracts and that 15% of the prime contractor awards to go minority firms. But wait...there's more. Ms. Moore would also like to wait until after the January 29 property tax reform election before discussing funding for the new arena. And if that's not enough, she wants even more time to study a proposal to build the arena on International Drive.

SUMMARY:

The Magic's commitment to build five new gyms around Orlando has persuaded Orange County Commissioner Mildred Fernandez to vote in favor of the new venues. Apparently that's not good enough for Commissioner Tiffany Moore, who wants the Magic to contribute an additional $30 million--$5 million for educational funding for children within a 3-mile radius of the new arena and $25 million to help support cultural and sporting activities around Orange County. She also wants an agreement that will ensure that minority companies will be involved with at least 30% of the construction contracts and that 15% of the prime contractor awards to go minority firms. But wait...there's more. Ms. Moore would also like to wait until after the January 29 property tax reform election before discussing funding for the new arena. And if that's not enough, she wants even more time to study a proposal to build the arena on International Drive.

That makes no sense whatsoever..

Why would she want it to go to Idrive when the new arena would be helping "her area". I don't see how its fair for them to be using this voting for their personal gains? It should be what's best for Orlando..not what is best for myself.

I hope she changes her mind and I hope the Magic give a little more out of their own pockets.

Edited by PMWMagic

For what its worth: Jacobs did respond to my letter to all the commissioners on this issue. It leaves me optimistic.

Jacobs met with Crotty today discussing her one remaining concern which was dealing with the financing on the citrus bowl. Crotty felt they could work it out, so she should be on board....

im all for pushing as hard as possible for all three. however, a consolation would be for the pac and arena to get the green light and the citrus bowl to get a commitment for a new vote after the property tax debate is over. that would guarantee jacobs would be on board.

a hypocrite rosen "no" vote on all three will leave a black eye on this community that will take many years to heal. i think if they do vote "no", project hometown should spend whatever money they have left over advertising and highlighting the campaign contributions given to all the "no" short sighted commissioners.

Edited by shardoon

Stern: New arena would open door to big events

Orlando Sentinel Article

SUMMARY:

Basically, the article is a bunch of David Stern quotes talking about how great it will be when the $1.1 billion in venues gets approved and the new arena is built. He said that not only would Orlando be on a short list of cities that would host future All-Star games, it would attract events the city never knew it could host. At a recent press conference, Orlando Magic Chief Operating Officer Alex Martins promised "if we were to be fortunate enough to get a positive vote, you can certainly believe that the Orlando Magic will be in this community for the rest of its lifetime." Commissioner Stern would not comment on the future of the team in Orlando if a new arena does not get approved.

SUMMARY:

she just wants money to go to blacks, not latinos, blacks, therefore not all minorities. but, that's what she was elected for. her delay for the property tax reform and the I-Drive aspect is just a bunch of side show BS.