Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Hotel Mogul Rips Commissioners, May Sue Over Venues Project

Rosen Wants Tourist Tax Money Spent On Tourism

POSTED: 11:50 am EDT July 27, 2007

UPDATED: 12:23 pm EDT July 27, 2007

This guy is really something else. He approved the venues when we vote to raised the 6 cents taxes. Now he wants it all.

I don't see where he has a legal leg to stand on. He calls it Tourist Tax Money .... so what. That's just what he calls it. By law it is a tourism sports and cultural venue tax, and it's use within those limits are by law controlled by the county commission. (Not by ROSEN). A Tourism Development Commission (TDC) was set up to advise the county commission on how to use the tax. As we know the TDC recommended to use it on the venues, the county voted to use it on the venues. ALL to the letter of the law. IMO Rosen has absolutely no case.

Edited by cwetteland

OK, seriously, enough is enough. Like someone said earlier in the thread, we need a "Boycott Rosen Properties" bumper sticker ASAP to show him that he's hated.

Seriously. He's the only prominent businessperson in town opposing the venues. How can he be so delusional as to think that he's not the one coming off as an asshat?

How did we go from the Venue's Vote to feeding the homeless again? I'm lost... :unsure:

Me too! I guess it's the implication of spending all that money on the venues when their are so many homeless people? There always has been and always will be homeless people and what municipality is going to hand out $1 billion to the homeless for no reason? This is about getting these venues that most of us in Orlando would love to have, I see no relation between this and the homeless.....???

Me too! I guess it's the implication of spending all that money on the venues when their are so many homeless people? There always has been and always will be homeless people and what municipality is going to hand out $1 billion to the homeless for no reason? This is about getting these venues that most of us in Orlando would love to have, I see no relation between this and the homeless.....???

It is a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Add another half cent tourism tax to the hotel rooms and make Homeless World. It helps downtown and helps build another attraction by the OCCC for Rosen.

It is a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Add another half cent tourism tax to the hotel rooms and make Homeless World. It helps downtown and helps build another attraction by the OCCC for Rosen.

i think the homeless world idea is fabulous! let me know if you need someone to help push the campaign! shall we start a new thread? hahah

BTW, would u guy be happy if this is actually what we get for the arena? or you think we can do better for 480 millions?

31473384.jpg

Maybe when we get this arena, Beyonce wont fall down next time.

Just a quick question.Does anyone know how tall the arena will be and will it be built part of it undergroud like most arenas.Sorry 2 questions.

I hope that conceptual arena design doesn't change much. I love it just like it is.

If Rosen goes thru with his threat, maybe a large group of people ought to pony up a pile of of money, hire some lawyers and counter sue him.

File a whole bunch of lawsuits that would inundate his lawyers and make him pay a fortune in legal fees.

fortune in legal fees for us probably means pocket change for him.

He is just afraid that downtown orlando develop into an area which can compete with him for the tourists on I-drive.

If he is smart, he should pony up some money and build a billion dollar hotels in downtown for the urban travellers.

i think the homeless world idea is fabulous! let me know if you need someone to help push the campaign! shall we start a new thread? hahah

Build it right next door to the Omni Rosen and the OCCC.

Edited by JFW657

Tim,

I wouldn't worry. The Statute says directly the 6th cent can be spent on advertising OR professional sports venues. Rosen was just grasping at straws.

The taxes being used to front the project (tourist and CRA) do not require a referendum so I don't you'll see a problem there. The CRA was approved in 1982 and those funds can be used on anything to redevelop within the footprint.

I was wondering.How much currently the tourist tax is going to pay for the orange convention center?

Just out of asking, if the tax revenue does come in as planned or better based on the increase and the 3 venues do in fact accomlish their goal, is there a chance that additional renovations to the Citrus Bowl could be planned for the future based on an increase in the tax or based on higher revenues if the tourist trade does extremely well?

Or is this pretty much it, another 20-25 years from now a presentation begins to circulate pointing out that no renovations have been done to the stadium since now basically?

Just heard an Interview with Dyer...There will be buissiness under I4 and the parking will go away in the future

man, i should start gambling in Vegas, or start betting in general....

didn't I say to do just that a few months ago--- to make the streets ped friendly, fill in under I-4 like some underground with retail and get rid of the parking and fool people to forget that they're not walking under a highway. hope it's done like that.

That time line is barring any unforeseen delays (but those NEVER happen in construction)! Pray for no hurricanes... UCF stadium is probably one of the ONLY big projects I've seen that went off without a hitch and 100% on schedule. That is impressive.

As for the under-highway retail - NYC does this and they do it quite well with the midtown bridge. There is a huge market and a nice restaurant under there. That will be VERY cool for us because I-4 might as well be a 20 foot razor-wire topped fence with how it seems to split the downtown.

I hope all of this really comes together and is as good as I'm thinking it may be. We'll see...

Contrary to what has been reported here, the PAC will not be ready in 2010. Design will take 22 months and construction three years. We're in for a rather excruciating wait (not to suggest that the wait won't be worth our while).

Also -- how can they even firm up their design plans until this property issue has been resolved with the nearby church? I know they can design it around the church, but they have to know one way or another what exact property they're dealing with. It's really a shame that all of this couldn't have been ironed out in advance.

Also -- how can they even firm up their design plans until this property issue has been resolved with the nearby church? I know they can design it around the church, but they have to know one way or another what exact property they're dealing with. It's really a shame that all of this couldn't have been ironed out in advance.

Perhaps they can accomplish that during the 22-month design phase ? For all I know, they already have rough designs for incorporating the church building.

They're supposed to build it in phases from what I understand.

The first phase will be the actual main hall or auditorium which is probably what they're referring to as being finished by 2010.

The rest of the property is devoted to different things, like rehersal halls, classroom areas, administrative of course, and the outer perimeter of the property are supposed to involve mixed use high rise office/residential etc.

It is probably one of the outer perimeter areas of the property that is affected by the church, so the majority of the construction ought to be able to proceed unhindered while things are ironed out with them.