Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

We've known it was going to be HOK for a while now. Not sure why the Sentinel is making it sounds like it's breaking news.

Because there was a lot of news coverage about the vote and now people want to see something happen. They are trying to fill the void of time while there is no actual construction on these projects. The average person doesn't know what's already been in place. The Sentinel is informing Joe Average Citizen.

An interesting editorial from WESH Chanel 2 online today:

It took nearly two years, gallons of ink, and much political maneuvering, but they finally did it.

The City of Orlando and Orange County finally put together a package deal for two impressive venues for downtown -- a performing arts center and a new arena for the Orlando Magic -- and one overpriced, wasteful renovation of the Citrus Bowl.

The Citrus Bowl supporters, those "Green Jacket" people, almost derailed the whole thing by linking this silly project to the others.

Luckily, Orange County Commissioners added a last-minute amendment to the financing package that would delay the Citrus Bowl renovations by a year or more if the tourist tax money isn

^^

I've got so many mixed feelings here.

I think the $175M is bank robbery to the County/City. No freaking way those renovations should cost that much; almost like the Baldwin sale by Hood it stinks for whatever reason.

Yet, I don't want to lose the Two Bowls, Florida Classic (3 games), and the occasional intersectional matchup ala FSU/ND; those bowls have been here for decades; it's tradition.

that clause will be manipulated so that no $$$ goes to the stadium... watch and see.

^^

I've got so many mixed feelings here.

I think the $175M is bank robbery to the County/City. No freaking way those renovations should cost that much; almost like the Baldwin sale by Hood it stinks for whatever reason.

I'm not here to say whether we should or shouldn't do this or whether it will or won't get done, but considering the cost of a new stadium, and the fact they plan to tear down and replace 2/3 of the C-Bowl, I have a hard time imagining how they plan to do that with only 175M. Very little is getting "renovated" compared to how much is being "rebuilt."

is there really any other options at this point..

1. building a new stadium is out of the question...

2. not rennovating it will cause it to eventually be abandoned and torn down (or worse abandoned and not torn down), either way it leaves the city without a stadium at all.

I'm not here to say whether we should or shouldn't do this or whether it will or won't get done, but considering the cost of a new stadium, and the fact they plan to tear down and replace 2/3 of the C-Bowl, I have a hard time imagining how they plan to do that with only 175M. Very little is getting "renovated" compared to how much is being "rebuilt."

I'm not so much concerned about whether or not there will be enough events coming to the Citrus Bowl in the future, I believe that can be pimped out to just about anything

My concern is whether or not the $175 million is actually enough, if this money will REALLY bring the stadium up to grand standards

If they're going to wait a year or two to see how the tax revenue comes in, it leads me to believe that the cost will only rise and that $175 million will accompish much less than now

Also, will they need new funds for future renovations in another 15-20 years from now and how will they get those funds then

Will the new business that might come to the Citrus Bowl be substantial enough they that Citrus Sports can actually fund future renovations or will it be another beg-athon for more tax revenue

Having said that, I have no issue about fixing the stadium

I really do think they will be able to attract more business, maybe not a huge amount more but substantially enough more that people will be able to look on it with a pretty good feeling inside them

Here's hoping at least....

Nasville PAC is fine but nothing spectacular.

NJPAC - we spend way too much money to have something that plain.

Modern structure - I agree, bring Orlando one step above other city. Something with a lot of glass or steel surface do it for me. Maybe we can even used some new materials to build it to make it green.

Reality...somehow I think it will has roman theme like CNL.

spaceball.gif

Now that the 3 venues have been approved and this thread has grown to 100 pages, perhaps we should have separate threads for each project. There's a lot to talk about for each venue and trying to discuss all three at the same time can cause good information to get lost in the mix and cause confusion.

You know, I agree to some extent with RedStar. I think a classic, elegant look for the exterior would fit in well with the area and work to create a structure that instills civic pride. (though Nashville's interior stinks imho. I think Bass Hall in Ft. Worth, TX is a perfect example of a fresh and inspiring classical design of the sort that will fit into the urban fabric at City Commons. In fact, I'm surprised we haven't heard this project mentioned as a benchmark we're shooting for, much in the way we keep hearing about NJPAC.

http://www.basshall.com/thehall.jsp

I dunnoh about the NJPAC--- it looks too much like something from a Disney park or that you'd find in Dr.Phillips, Dryvit and all. As for Bass Hall, the interior is very nice and would fit in well here. I'm prone to a modern exterior, glass and steel. Why not throw in a small enclosed public garden? Has anyone seen the SOM design for the new tower proposal to accomany the Transbay Transit Center in SF?! That style would be killer for our PAC.

Well I think we all agree that Orlando's Performing Arts center needs to be an "Icon" for our city.

If people see the building on a post card they say to themselves... "Ahh... thats that awsome building in Downtown Orlando."

Much like they would if they saw a postcard of the Sydney Opera house.

While I proposed Old World Style earlier I would be just as happy with an Ultra Modern PAC.

I wish our new PAC would have an old world feel like Nashville's.

Here are a few pics....

north_front_lg.jpg

photos by: Steve Hall of Hedrich Blessing

I love the Schimmerhorn because it has awesome acoustics. I don't care if the OPAC is modern or has old world charm as long as it's good for performance.

I love the Schimmerhorn because it has awesome acoustics. I don't care if the OPAC is modern or has old world charm as long as it's good for performance.

I love Nashville's new facility (I'm a high church kinda guy :-) - it fits in well with the capitol and the War Memorial Plaza. To fit in downtown, I'd like something that gives a nod to the beaux arts buildings of the 20's and building materials emphasizing brick, while incorporating a lot of glass to indicate the open airy nature of our subtropical environment. Ironically, on the 1978 redo of Bob Carr they pulled that off pretty well - they kept the original facade as part of the interior while using lots of glass for the expansion.

First Methodist, when they built their new sanctuary in the early '60's, insisted on a "church that looks like a church", while College Park Methodist went with the modern style that was all the rage at the time. Today, FUMCO is still considered a jewel of downtown while most everyone would like CP Methodist's sanctuary replaced ASAP. What was really great about the design of FUMCO's sanctuary was that while it retained its traditional architecture, the white marble, open glass and separation between the sanctuary and the chapel/steeple gave it a look distinct to its environment.

First Methodist, when they built their new sanctuary in the early '60's, insisted on a "church that looks like a church", while College Park Methodist went with the modern style that was all the rage at the time. Today, FUMCO is still considered a jewel of downtown while most everyone would like CP Methodist's sanctuary replaced ASAP. What was really great about the design of FUMCO's sanctuary was that while it retained its traditional architecture, the white marble, open glass and separation between the sanctuary and the chapel/steeple gave it a look distinct to its environment.

The original design for FUMCO came back as a triplicate of First Baptist and First Pres. The Church Flew Harold Wagner down and in a meeting with the building committee he sketched the present church out on the spot. He blended traditional Georgian architecture, with a modern asymmetrical plan, and a strikingly tall tower separate from the sanctuary (an Italian trait).

towerfj4.jpg

Edited by RedStar25

The original design for FUMCO came back as a triplicate of First Baptist and First Pres. The Church Flew Harold Wagner down and in a meeting with the building committee he sketched the present church out on the spot. He blended traditional Georgian architecture, with a modern asymmetrical plan, and a strikingly tall tower separate from the sanctuary (an Italian trait).

FUMCO1.jpg

Good point. The other churches in the downtown "steeplechase" (the Sentinel was following the competition for the tallest steeple among the three at the time) were inoffensive but rather bland, albeit still much better looking than the CP and Pine Castle monstrosities. All the pieces at FUMCO came together to make it timeless yet perfect for a subtropical setting. It captured Orlando perfectly instead of trying to impose some ersatz "Misnerism" that had nothing to do with the organic development of our community. I guess what I'm groping for here is that we are not Miami or New York and we are not Omaha. We have a chance here, like they did with FUMCO, to capture something that is uniquely Orlando.

Edited by spenser1058

Good point. The other churches in the downtown "steeplechase" (the Sentinel was following the competition for the tallest steeple among the three at the time) were inoffensive but rather bland, albeit still much better looking than the CP and Pine Castle monstrosities. All the pieces at FUMCO came together to make it timeless yet perfect for a subtropical setting. It captured Orlando perfectly instead of trying to impose some ersatz "Misnerism" that had nothing to do with the organic development of our community. I guess what I'm groping for here is that we are not Miami or New York and we are not Omaha. We have a chance here, like they did with FUMCO, to capture something that is uniquely Orlando.

And by the way.... FUMCO won the "steeplechase" and still has the tallest Tower/spire in Central Florida.

First Pres and First Baptist were modeled after Staint Martin in the Fields in central London.