Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

If you go to Tampa PAC's website and look at their remaining schedule of events and shows until Dec. 31st, Bob Carr is actually busier (theatre and Broadway shows. I don't know if that's only for the large Hall at their PAC, or for the whole thing. interesting, b/c ORL isn't as far behind in that dept. as everybody says.

I think it's entirely realistic to see in five years:

* a new tallest to punctuate a skyline so radically transformed as to be unrecognizable ...

* a new PAC ...

* a new arena ...

* a revamped Citrus Bowl/ Citrus Bowl area ...

* and the first leg of commuter rail (not to mention a completed gargantuan I-4/408 super-interchange).

Well Orlando might not get the Marlins but according to this weeks OBJ it looks like Disney is making a hard push for the Cleveland Indians to move their Spring Training Home to the Wide World of Sports. They would share facilities with the Braves. Apopka was also mentioned as a possibility along with a few other SW Florida Cities but Disney looks to have the most serious offer. The Indians will definetly be moving out of Winter Haven soon...

Well Orlando might not get the Marlins but according to this weeks OBJ it looks like Disney is making a hard push for the Cleveland Indians to move their Spring Training Home to the Wide World of Sports. They would share facilities with the Braves. Apopka was also mentioned as a possibility along with a few other SW Florida Cities but Disney looks to have the most serious offer. The Indians will definetly be moving out of Winter Haven soon...

The Winter Haven facilities are old......and compared to current facilities, out of date...

Remember that Cleveland was to end up in Homestead, but Hurricane Andrew demolished their new facility there (they moved FROM Arizona to Florida)...

At the same time, Boston moved out of Winter Haven...so Chain of Lakes was the only option for them.....they have never been very happy there...

While it would be nice to see another team in Orlando....it would hurt Winter Haven....which probably appreciates the team a bit more than anyone here would...

To heck with spring training i want a major league team here in Orlando.Anyone else feel that way

That's not happening as long as the Bucs exist.

With a refurbished stadium & a growing market you never know. People said there wouldn't be baseball or football in DC and look what happened. I know it's a bigger market, but our market may be that big some day. Besides think of the great Tampa-Orlando football rivalry that would grow. Imagine a UCF-USF game in the Citrus Bowl on Saturday & then a Orlando-Tampa NFL game on Sunday.

If Jax can support a team with 2/3 the population of Orlando, and Tampa can support a team with a metro area where 25% of the population is over 70 years old, Orlando could without a doubt support an NFL team.

Baseball is another story. Too many games and too small of a market. Orlando would not be competitive, just like all the small market teams, St. Petersburg, Kansas City, Pittsburgh. Orlando would be better off with a first class minor league operation.

I wonder which will win out. Jax and Tampa's desire to control North and Central Florida's NFL audience or the NFL's desire to one day expand. LA is always the NFL's first choice. San Antonio always seems to be mentioned as an NFL expansion site, but you don't hear Orlando mentioned. I wonder why, considering Orlando metro area is now slightly larger than San Antonio and Orlando is growing faster as well.

If Jax can support a team with 2/3 the population of Orlando, and Tampa can support a team with a metro area where 25% of the population is over 70 years old, Orlando could without a doubt support an NFL team.

Baseball is another story. Too many games and too small of a market. Orlando would not be competitive, just like all the small market teams, St. Petersburg, Kansas City, Pittsburgh. Orlando would be better off with a first class minor league operation.

I wonder which will win out. Jax and Tampa's desire to control North and Central Florida's NFL audience or the NFL's desire to one day expand. LA is always the NFL's first choice. San Antonio always seems to be mentioned as an NFL expansion site, but you don't hear Orlando mentioned. I wonder why, considering Orlando metro area is now slightly larger than San Antonio and Orlando is growing faster as well.

Exactly...with baseball, the market has to support 81 home games....with football, only 8 (hockey and basketball are about 41 each)

Orlando could never support baseball.....it is too small of an area....and even if we got a team, it would never have the revenues to be competitive on a consistant basis....

Exactly...with baseball, the market has to support 81 home games....with football, only 8 (hockey and basketball are about 41 each)

Orlando could never support baseball.....it is too small of an area....and even if we got a team, it would never have the revenues to be competitive on a consistant basis....

Orlando could support a team... Baseball games are a lot cheaper to attend than football games... you can get the cheap seats for like 7$ a peice... Football games are running like 30$+ ( I might be out of the loop on that one since I havent been for awhile). Not to mention that average attendance to Baseball games is about half to 2/3rds that of Football games. Alsa you forget about the large Caribbean Hispanic population that we have here in Orlando, Babeball is the lifeblood of those countries, not to mention a fair amount of players in the MLB hail from those countries. If they came out to see Arroyo playing off the bench with that much fervor, Imagine a lineup of 4-5 starters that they love? I expect the arguments... Why doesnt it work in Miami? In Miami, they play in a football stadium and kill off all fan support by selling their players away... In fact ESPN has had much to say about that over the last year since they won the Series... about the stadium and the management. Tampa (St. Pete) has one of the most horrendous abominations that one would call a "baseball park." Most Minor league teams get their own facilities, unlike Miami, and they are top notch compared to St. Pete. The market here is growwing and our position as a tourist town can only attract more people. I could plan a vacation around watchin my baseball team play in Puerto Rico (Expo's back in the day) or hypothetically if there was a team in Orlando playing some serious games in San Fran or Seattle (places I would like to visit). Dad can drop the kids off at the theme parks with mom and Aunt Suzie and hit up the Yankee Orlando game with Uncle Tio. We just need a rich Owner like Steinbrenner to buy up talent for us.

Orlando could support a team... Baseball games are a lot cheaper to attend than football games... you can get the cheap seats for like 7$ a peice... Football games are running like 30$+ ( I might be out of the loop on that one since I havent been for awhile). Not to mention that average attendance to Baseball games is about half to 2/3rds that of Football games. Alsa you forget about the large Caribbean Hispanic population that we have here in Orlando, Babeball is the lifeblood of those countries, not to mention a fair amount of players in the MLB hail from those countries. If they came out to see Arroyo playing off the bench with that much fervor, Imagine a lineup of 4-5 starters that they love? I expect the arguments... Why doesnt it work in Miami? In Miami, they play in a football stadium and kill off all fan support by selling their players away... In fact ESPN has had much to say about that over the last year since they won the Series... about the stadium and the management. Tampa (St. Pete) has one of the most horrendous abominations that one would call a "baseball park." Most Minor league teams get their own facilities, unlike Miami, and they are top notch compared to St. Pete. The market here is growwing and our position as a tourist town can only attract more people. I could plan a vacation around watchin my baseball team play in Puerto Rico (Expo's back in the day) or hypothetically if there was a team in Orlando playing some serious games in San Fran or Seattle (places I would like to visit). Dad can drop the kids off at the theme parks with mom and Aunt Suzie and hit up the Yankee Orlando game with Uncle Tio. We just need a rich Owner like Steinbrenner to buy up talent for us.

you are dreaming...

anyway....

If the market had to fill 60,000 football seats (480,000 per season) at $50 each (average) the team would have $24million in ticket revenue.....plus football has two things that baseball does not.....revenue sharing and a salary cap.....it is very feasible.

To fill 25,000 seats of baseball (average league attendance last year) they would need to see over 2million tickets annually......so....basically....EVERYBODY in the metro area would have to go to at least 1 game....the market is too small....

you are dreaming...

anyway....

If the market had to fill 60,000 football seats (480,000 per season) at $50 each (average) the team would have $24million in ticket revenue.....plus football has two things that baseball does not.....revenue sharing and a salary cap.....it is very feasible.

To fill 25,000 seats of baseball (average league attendance last year) they would need to see over 2million tickets annually......so....basically....EVERYBODY in the metro area would have to go to at least 1 game....the market is too small....

Couldn't have said it better. You need 1/4 the people to support football as you do baseball.

you are dreaming...

anyway....

considering the fact that most people that go to Baseball games go to multiple games in a season, one person would just need to go to 4 games (30+ for all 4) and that the tickets are tremendously less expensive I dont see this to be too far fetched... but I figured that you would be the one to argue my point first... Gotta make a living...

Edited by illliterate02

considering the fact that most people that go to Baseball games go to multiple games in a season, one person would just need to go to 4 games (30+ for all 4) and that the tickets are tremendously less expensive I dont see this to be too far fetched... but I figured that you would be the one to argue my point first... Gotta make a living...

Most football fans are season ticket holders. Most people attending a baseball game are not. That means you need to tap a much larger market.

The $7.00 baseball ticket is not realistic either. That would be for the section called beach seats in St. Pete. Spring training tickets at Disney are $18.00 to $22.00, $13.00 to sit in the grass. Regular good seats for a MLB game range from around $80.00 to $20.00. That's in St Pete, one of the cheapest markets.