Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

That building is eSciences (used to be Lakeside Alternatives quite a few years ago). I just saw a sign today on Pine Street that says future site of eSciences going into one of the smaller buildings on the Plaza block... corner of Pine and Court. I imagine they will move when renovations are completed. I specualte that the brick building at the future arena site will be demolished at that time.

they should preserve the original portion of the Bob Carr...

From your lips to God's ear... I hope.

the new design ideas are ambitious. Now if they can get approved. Never enough money or time to do it right once, plenty of both to do it twice or thrice.

Edited by Boomer136

Designers of Orlando's arts center promote radical concept for new performance space

Organizers scrutinize cutting-edge plans for the new Orlando performance space.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...0,5409884.story

37647365.jpg

37647245.jpg

The design team for the Orlando arts center is modeling the largest theater after Disney’s New Amsterdam Theatre, built in 1903. :thumbsup: I hope they can preserve the old world feel. This place is going to be quite the venue if it pans out.

Edited by MaXxlife

So are we getting three Halls or just one multifunctional building? The multifunctional hall have been tryed before and more often than not have ended in Failure. And you can forget about a large Pipe Organ in a hall such as this.

Note the Myerson Center. It has a large pipe organ that makes up a dramatic focal point to the concert hall. The ceiling and side panels lower/open to change the acoustics and cubic volume.

A stage with a movable "orchestral shell" could leave us with a hall lacking any focal point/desirable acoustics. Pipe Organs have been made movable before... but most now are stuck backstage and unused.

So are we getting three Halls or just one multifunctional building? The multifunctional hall have been tryed before and more often than not have ended in Failure. And you can forget about a large Pipe Organ in a hall such as this.

Note the Myerson Center. It has a large pipe organ that makes up a dramatic focal point to the concert hall. The ceiling and side panels lower/open to change the acoustics and cubic volume.

A stage with a movable "orchestral shell" could leave us with a hall lacking any focal point/desirable acoustics. Pipe Organs have been made movable before... but most now are stuck backstage and unused.

3 Halls. Image courtesy of "downtownorlando.com".

PAC.jpg

And you can forget about a large Pipe Organ in a hall such as this.

Why do you say this? There are many concert halls around the world that have pipe organs imbedded into the backdrop. hell, look at first baptist church of orlando and their pipe organ (largest in the se). The pipes line the back wall of the stage. What is it about this hall that says you can't have a pipe organ? I guess my next question is who says we need a pipe organ?

Why do you say this? There are many concert halls around the world that have pipe organs imbedded into the backdrop. hell, look at first baptist church of orlando and their pipe organ (largest in the se). The pipes line the back wall of the stage. What is it about this hall that says you can't have a pipe organ? I guess my next question is who says we need a pipe organ?

I say we need a pipe organ. Can't have a legitimate Bach festival without one.

If it is done right, the concert hall can be a destination hall for performing artists, mostly educational and amateur true, leveraging on our tourist industry (aka Magic Music Days etc). Plus we could have annual music festivals again leveraging on our destination status drawing top artists and having audiences that travel in to stay downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Yuck. That is one piece of "history" that needs to be knocked down.. and every last piece carted off. Then somehow it needs to be edited from old historical photos. :(

The original two-story structure (1962) was an interesting low-rise bank structure. The cheesy part came when they added the upper floors (1974?) - even the glass part would have been ok, but they went cheap on top where the sign went. The landscaping around the original structure was always kept immaculate, which helped.

I like that building... well, the bottom portion of it. They could take that part and incorporate it into a rounded wall at street level or turn it into a fountain base or a round stage. They're architects and they say they don't have a vision yet. Huh? They're designers. How do they not have vision? Sounds like they need to smoke a blunt and get some vision, man.

I like that building... well, the bottom portion of it. They could take that part and incorporate it into a rounded wall at street level or turn it into a fountain base or a round stage. They're architects and they say they don't have a vision yet. Huh? They're designers. How do they not have vision? Sounds like they need to smoke a blunt and get some vision, man.

LOL

They could make the bottom round part into a stage... people could play bongos up on this stage and smoke blunts and wave at the passing motorists... :dontknow: or they could knock this crap down.... :thumbsup: Just kidding. maybe I should smoke a blunt.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding me? The bottom is the ugliest part of that building. It's that ugly 60-70's looking white concrete with very large "pebbles" sticking out on the sides. For example, although not exactly the same, look at any old Albertson's store, and you will get an idea of what I mean, except this building, the rocks are all white. Let me go throw up now.

Are you kidding me? The bottom is the ugliest part of that building. It's that ugly 60-70's looking white concrete with very large "pebbles" sticking out on the sides. For example, although not exactly the same, look at any old Albertson's store, and you will get an idea of what I mean, except this building, the rocks are all white. Let me go throw up now.

Sometimes it's the shape that's important, not the substance that creates it. If Albertson's had better definition, I might like it. Albertson's are comprised of 4 bland walls. It doesn't matter what they used to make it. You probably don't like the library either. I do.

So if a completely rectangular building that is 50 stories high gets built and it is gray glass and black metal, you would like it for the materials? That is boring to me.

Another example... I like Dynetech. I don't like it, because of the glass. I like it, because it is comprised of different layers and shapes that make the glass interesting.

I like the old round building because those diamonds made of that material are unique. Yes, the material was used everywhere from sidewalks, to sides of buildings, to water fountains. I remember seeing it everywhere growing up.

The same thing can be said for everyone's kitchens now. Aren't you tired of maple cabinets and granite countertops? What shapes are those cabinets and countertops? That's what makes it unique.

Sometimes it's the shape that's important, not the substance that creates it. If Albertson's had better definition, I might like it. Albertson's are comprised of 4 bland walls. It doesn't matter what they used to make it. You probably don't like the library either. I do.

So if a completely rectangular building that is 50 stories high gets built and it is gray glass and black metal, you would like it for the materials? That is boring to me.

Another example... I like Dynetech. I don't like it, because of the glass. I like it, because it is comprised of different layers and shapes that make the glass interesting.

I like the old round building because those diamonds made of that material are unique. Yes, the material was used everywhere from sidewalks, to sides of buildings, to water fountains. I remember seeing it everywhere growing up.

The same thing can be said for everyone's kitchens now. Aren't you tired of maple cabinets and granite countertops? What shapes are those cabinets and countertops? That's what makes it unique.

I always wonder how it would be to cut veggies on a wavy countertop :rolleyes: