Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

I spoke to the main guy at Orlando Ballet and he told me they are meeting regularly for the OPAC. He told me they have reviewed the design of Miami's PAC by Pelli and are working on improving that design here. mentioned that their PAC suffers b/c of lack of amenities space; they don't like the look of it in daylight; etc... Ours will have 3 halls and he claims they are working on making it a better facility...

I spoke to the main guy at Orlando Ballet and he told me they are meeting regularly for the OPAC. He told me they have reviewed the design of Miami's PAC by Pelli and are working on improving that design here. mentioned that their PAC suffers b/c of lack of amenities space; they don't like the look of it in daylight; etc... Ours will have 3 halls and he claims they are working on making it a better facility...

great to hear that, JRS - thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...

The OPAC will have 3 halls, it will be bigger than the one built in Miami. I hear the design will be futuristic, but with some historical taste. The prototypes are very impressive.

wow. I heard something similar a coupls weeks back, but I wasn't sure if in fact that would be the case. that would be impressive if it pans out like that...

The OPAC will have 3 halls, it will be bigger than the one built in Miami. I hear the design will be futuristic, but with some historical taste. The prototypes are very impressive.

The 3 halls has been in the published plans since day 1, that's been know for several years now. I think the futuristic part refers to some new techniques they want to use as far as moving stages in and out. More flexible, more reconfigurable. I don't think it has anything to do with the look of the place. That is yet to be seen.

One thing that has always interested me is the comment that they want it to be a 100 year venue. When you consider that the O'rena is about 30 years old and they are ready to tear it down means two things. They will use quality materials and its technology will be upgrade-able.

The 3 halls has been in the published plans since day 1, that's been know for several years now. I think the futuristic part refers to some new techniques they want to use as far as moving stages in and out. More flexible, more reconfigurable. I don't think it has anything to do with the look of the place. That is yet to be seen.

One thing that has always interested me is the comment that they want it to be a 100 year venue. When you consider that the O'rena is about 30 years old and they are ready to tear it down means two things. They will use quality materials and its technology will be upgrade-able.

The Orena is only 21 years old. They were talking about replacing it when it was just over 10 years old.

Well sports venues are different as the expectation of their audience has undergone a radical change where what is wanted is more upscale boxes so going to an event is pretty much like hanging out at home for some reason.

While the Carr was renovated three times that I know of, the basic box will have been there almost 100 years when the PAC opens. Also, if you get right something like acoustics and have enough room on and off stage, there isn't a reason to come out with a new space. Remodel the lobby, sure, hopefully more stages would be needed because of a performing arts renaissance, but then someone would move into the old spaces as the successful organizations move to the new ones, like what should happen to the Carr.

OPAC will probaly be bigger in footage but not in performance halls in all. Ours will have one large one with 2,800 seats, another with 1,800 seats and the smaller one with 300 seats. Miami's has two large ones and one small one, the two large ones seat 2,400 and 2,200 and their small one 300. Miami's center was the largest in the country in 3 decades. OPAC will hopefully have a larger lobby and space around the halls, those are the only real areas I see they can really make it "better". But why compete just try to make ours good, size isn't everything, the design details is what makes a center what it is.

i bet it wont be as famous as disney concert hall.

Perhaps infamous is a better word. Its the exterior that got all the press.

I think with a dedicated recording suite in the PAC not only could the local groups easily start putting out some recordings, but Disney Magic Music Days or some such like entity could sell packages to school performing arts groups for recorded music festivals that happen to coincide with a trip or two to some of the other attractions of the area. Part of that effort would have to include at least the marketing of the acoustic hall as a premier world class venue [whether it is or not] which I think is possible in reality with the team that DPPAC has put together so far.

At a time when only the 'big 5' symphonies had a lock on prestige the Atlanta and Cincinnati elbowed their way into prominence on the strength of their Telarc CD offerings. Atlanta did that at the Woodruff whose seating is only about 1750 if I remember right.

While the big 5 play in 2500-2600 seat halls, big has problems, [like the Carr]. Center seats get no early reflections, sound gets lost in the rafters, you lose intensity back of the house [darn you inverse square law!]. Avery Fisher even being a shoe-box [unlike the fan of the Carr] has problems the NY Phil complain about. The fact that this spce will have to triple up as a ballet hall and opera house as well, keeping the space a bit smaller not only makes sense acoustically, but why have seats taking up space that no one uses. Let's say the Phil, Ballet or Opera takes off, and they are SRO every night in a couple of years. Even after raising ticket prices, they need more seats. Then that group could build a purpose built hall just for themselves. Perhaps on what might well be the still vacant land of the O-rena. :whistling:

Ok, fanboi time almost over, just to say:

I see good things a-comin'!

• 2 weeks later...