Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

The minor league baseball thing was just an offer made by the city where they would donate the land to anyone who would build their own minor league stadium. I think a couple people checked into it, but nothing solid. That would be a great use for that peice of land if you ask me, but no one did.

Watch for that property to be used as a pawn for St. Pete to get a new stadium for the Rays in the Tampa / St. Pete area.

Doubt it, it will be sold to the first buyer as the proceeds of the sale of the land are slated to be put towards the arena

I would like the city to seriously consider adding significant parkspace to replace the old arena. A nice pedestrian mall that spills out onto that little lake just north of the old arena would be perfect at that location. Then, sell off the land around it to make a profit.

I'm content with the new arena at its location. If it were anywhere along Orange, it would be a bit too large and overbearing for what is currently a nice, pedestrian street (at least South of Robinson).

Special Community Groundbreaking Celebration on Friday

From Noon until 2 p.m. on Friday, July 25th, you're invited to the new Orlando Events Center groundbreaking site (on Church St. between Hughey & Division) to take part in a variety of celebratory activities.

Highlights of the community open house will include:

Complimentary Kodak Photographs with a groundbreaking shovel

A souvenir groundbreaking dirt give-away

Autographs with Orlando Magic Dancers and Magic Community Ambassador Bo Outlaw

Interaction with the Orlando Magic JetBlue Crew entertainment team

Children activities, including face painting, balloon art and pop-a-shot

A prize wheel featuring Orlando Magic giveaways

Hot dogs and chips courtesy of Hard Rock Cafe

For more information, please visit orlandomagic.com.

I would like the city to seriously consider adding significant parkspace to replace the old arena. A nice pedestrian mall that spills out onto that little lake just north of the old arena would be perfect at that location. Then, sell off the land around it to make a profit.

I'm content with the new arena at its location. If it were anywhere along Orange, it would be a bit too large and overbearing for what is currently a nice, pedestrian street (at least South of Robinson).

I agree, on both fronts. Particularly the integration of park-space. There should definitely be an effort to integrate Edgewater Drive and this huge chunk of land. The current arena really stood as a buffer between Parramore and College park just as much as I-4 stands as one between Parramore and downtown. I think the way the City handles getting rid of the old Arena and creating a link between Edgewater drive north of here has as much potential to un-isolate Parramore as does the new Arena and ideas like the bridge district.

[nose in air]

The arena was never enough to split College Park from the bad element. The city has a few streets blocked off from vehicular traffic leading into College Park from Colonial.

-------

It is very snobbish to cut off streets and say this is good and this is bad. It really sickens me that the residents of College Park were able to get the city to effectively close streets so they wouldn't have to deal with the reality of where their homes are located. If you don't like hookers from Colonial, don't buy a home by Lake Adair. Get over yourself. Take your a$$ to Winter Park. It's not like I haven't ever seen hookers getting on the bus running down Westmoreland counting their money in the morning because the College Park johns wouldn't call a cab for their lay the night before.

And that Lake Dot is just a sunbathing area for the homeless of the Salvation Army shelter.

Edited by bulldogger

^Lake Dot has lots of potential--which was the point of my earlier post. It could easily turn into a mini Lake Eola and if the park is extended South it could really be a nice mall area. Surround it with mid to high rises and you have a nice urban space.

This is a really good idea. People flock to parkspace. The bulding will take some time to develop (and the demand for the buidling has to be higer) but there could be a lot of growth around the park. Look at what Lake Eola has become. The Waverly was built in what 1999? In 10 years... look at the growth over there!

I am not so sure about that. Yes, I think Lake Dot has potential. But just building a park isn't going to draw people there. You already have enough parks, people aren't so desperately hurting for one they are going to flock here. Instead what will happen is it will become one of those empty eyesores, ignored and neglected, a hangout for homeless and where all the kids go to smoke their pot. If anything, it will hurt the idea of urban fabric because it will create this big hole.

I agree.

if they build a park or incorporate an existing band of green and water into an official park (Ivanhoe), then they should somehow create a nice geography to attract people there, like that footbridge in Central Park, for instance.

• 2 weeks later...

From today's Orlando Sentinel

Curtain to rise on designs for performing-arts center

Elizabeth Maupin {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer August 8, 2008 ORLANDO - The public will have its first chance to see designs for the Dr. P. Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 22 at 455 S. Orange Ave., the round building that stands on the site of the planned arts center, across from City Hall. The building's architects and designers will be on hand, along with Mayor Buddy Dyer, Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty and members of the center's board of directors. The mixed-use development will include three main theaters, educational facilities, a public plaza that can be used as another theater and retail and commercial space. Groundbreaking is expected next year, with the center scheduled to open in 2012.

Elizabeth Maupin {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer August 8, 2008 ORLANDO - The public will have its first chance to see designs for the Dr. P. Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 22 at 455 S. Orange Ave., the round building that stands on the site of the planned arts center, across from City Hall. The building's architects and designers will be on hand, along with Mayor Buddy Dyer, Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty and members of the center's board of directors. The mixed-use development will include three main theaters, educational facilities, a public plaza that can be used as another theater and retail and commercial space. Groundbreaking is expected next year, with the center scheduled to open in 2012.

I will be there.

Now wait a minute.... I post an article from the paper and get suspended for it (even after I had added my own commentary/followed the rules). How come you can do it with no repercussions?

Now wait a minute.... I post an article from the paper and get suspended for it (even after I had added my own commentary/followed the rules). How come you can do it with no repercussions?

RedStar, it's called 'fair use'. It doesn't matter what 'commentary' you add (and I didn't see any). It's unwritten copyright law that it's legal to reproduce a small amount of an article...or at least it's not enforced. The assumption must be that it will encourage you to read the rest.

Copy and pasting a whole article word for word is plagiarism and that is enforced.

I'm not aware that Sunshine replicated the whole article but I did not read the original article.

quick edit: either way the 'article' looks more like a press release. Does the Sentinel report anything else these days?

Edited by neon9

RedStar, it's called 'fair use'. It doesn't matter what 'commentary' you add (and I didn't see any). It's unwritten copyright law that it's legal to reproduce a small amount of an article...or at least it's not enforced. The assumption must be that it will encourage you to read the rest.

Copy and pasting a whole article word for word is plagiarism and that is enforced.

I'm not aware that Sunshine replicated the whole article but I did not read the original article.

quick edit: either way the 'article' looks more like a press release. Does the Sentinel report anything else these days?

All the Puppies Fit To Print! :sick:

Mine was brief, factual and information (that could be obtained from multiple sources) for the public good. Not political reguritation of one-sided fabrication of "figures".

Edited by FLheat

Sorry guys I didn't mean to get us off topic

Well mine were too. And I even asked permission from the sites that originally posted them.

But the thing is.... I was suspended for posting an Orlando sentinel article.... not political editorials. Which by the way were in the coffee house in a new thread....

I even asked the moderator who suspended me to help clear up my misunderstanding. I was responded with a very rude and badly writen responce saying "it all in english so I don't know what there is to understand."

I guess your allowed to express your opinion as much as you want... as long as it is the correct (left) one.

and those figures came from the IRS/Washington post..... im sure they didn't fabricate them.

Edited by RedStar25

and those figures came from the IRS/Washington post..... im sure they didn't fabricate them.

When the Washington Post, or anyone for that matter, chooses to cite only cherry pick statistics that support their claim, it is a fabrication. My reference was to your Obama post and I am unaware of your Orlando Sentinel post, but yes there should be consistency in enforcement.

Edited by FLheat

Here is a website I just ran across for Round Building Reuse: 360. It was a website put together a means to submit ideas for the American Federal Building preservation. We just passed the submission deadline and it looks like they will be judging entries this week. There are some good photos of the building on the resources tab.

Edited by FLheat

Mine was brief, factual and information (that could be obtained from multiple sources) for the public good. Not political reguritation of one-sided fabrication of "figures".

I know from another site I post on that the Sentinel will come after you (or the site) for posting their material. I think if you put a lead-in sentence and then a link to the article on their site you're OK. That's the way I've always understood it.

I know from another site I post on that the Sentinel will come after you (or the site) for posting their material. I think if you put a lead-in sentence and then a link to the article on their site you're OK. That's the way I've always understood it.

You can quote any source provided you give credit to the source and not represent it as your own thought. That is not the issue here. This forum apparently has a rule about just creating posts that are cut and pasted articles rather than orignal thought. Since the "rules" link does not seem to be activated, I cannot confirm, but perhaps a moderator can clarify the boundaries.

Here is a website I just ran across for Round Building Reuse: 360. It was a website put together a means to submit ideas for the American Federal Building preservation. We just passed the submission deadline and it looks like they will be judging entries this week. There are some good photos of the building on the resources tab.

Neat! If you click on "History" and look at the picture in the back ground to the right you can see Orlando's tallest building from 1971 to 1988 under construction. I wonder if the people of 1971, with this modern round building and a modern skyscraper being build a block North, felt they were about to be living in a big city (for our Orlando of course)?

Neat! If you click on "History" and look at the picture in the back ground to the right you can see Orlando's tallest building from 1971 to 1988 under construction. I wonder if the people of 1971, with this modern round building and a modern skyscraper being build a block North, felt they were about to be living in a big city (for our Orlando of course)?

the CNA Center. nice. good eye.

however, Amsouth aka Regions aka Copper Whopper is also taller and was built in the early '80's. And I think DuPont aka BOA was built before Suntrust too, or at least I thought it was.