Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

the CNA Center. nice. good eye.

however, Amsouth aka Regions aka Copper Whopper is also taller and was built in the early '80's. And I think DuPont aka BOA was built before Suntrust too, or at least I thought it was.

Whoops! You're right. The Copper Whopper sneaked in there as tallest for a bit.

Here is a website I just ran across for Round Building Reuse: 360. It was a website put together a means to submit ideas for the American Federal Building preservation. We just passed the submission deadline and it looks like they will be judging entries this week. There are some good photos of the building on the resources tab.

Interesting idea--I really do hope they can reuse the original materials in some sort of public art piece. I do not agree with the prefered locations, though. Lake Eola is already completely built out as is, and Lake Ivanhoe is a popular spot for more leisurely activities. The Loch Haven Park option seems most logical.

My recommendation would be to place it in the new Parramore park, especially since the City will be doing so much investing out in that neighborhood as is.

^^

maybe they can move it/reassemble it as a 2-story ring in the park; maybe tilt it a bit on a steel structure; it would give Calder and Picasso a run for their money (just kidding).

Hmmmm, a 2-story ring at Loch Haven. Gladiators? Bullfights? Oh, the possibilities! Maybe a variation on the Globe would work since OSF is already there. :unsure:

Edited by spenser1058

First Methodist Orlando has begun to move people out of the large three story building behind the sanctuary. I can only assume demolition will begin shortly? I have not seen a rendering of the new campus master plan but I have herd it is exquisite. I will post a rendering... or start a new thread as soon as I get a rendering.

On a side note the large pipe organ at First Methodist Should be compleated by summer 2009. There is also the possibility that the new chaple at FUMCO will have a new pipe orga in it as well.

1410newpd7.jpg

violone16jf8.jpg

I saw a flyer posted up downtown saying that they are going to unveil the design in the City Hall Rotunda at 10AM on Friday morning. Anybody know anything about this?

From today's Orlando Sentinel

Curtain to rise on designs for performing-arts center

Elizabeth Maupin {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer August 8, 2008 ORLANDO - The public will have its first chance to see designs for the Dr. P. Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 22 at 455 S. Orange Ave., the round building that stands on the site of the planned arts center, across from City Hall. The building's architects and designers will be on hand, along with Mayor Buddy Dyer, Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty and members of the center's board of directors. The mixed-use development will include three main theaters, educational facilities, a public plaza that can be used as another theater and retail and commercial space. Groundbreaking is expected next year, with the center scheduled to open in 2012.

anybody have any thoughts on the article in this mornings paper. the architect said they had started out with a high tower like structure then after seeing all the flatness around town ....they made it low and wide! great more fat stumpy buildings. not like we dont have any of those. i think they truly conquered their wish of having it blend in with the surroundings.

anybody have any thoughts on the article in this mornings paper. the architect said they had started out with a high tower like structure then after seeing all the flatness around town ....they made it low and wide! great more fat stumpy buildings. not like we dont have any of those. i think they truly conquered their wish of having it blend in with the surroundings.

Hello Everyone. Long time lurker first time posting. I find this to be the most exciting project and will be attending the Friday event. I believe just because it wont be a tower does not necessarily mean it will be bland. I think you can have a landmark structure that does not overpower the area that it is in. I hope its architecture is classical with a hint modernism. Kinda like putting Capitol Hill and the Sydney Opera House in a martini shaker and pouring it in to cool looking and elegant martini glass. :thumbsup:

Kinda like putting Capitol Hill and the Sydney Opera House in a martini shaker and pouring it in to cool looking and elegant martini glass.

love it.

the feel of a plaza in that area sounds amazing. pigeons, water effects and sculptures will make this part of orlando a true destination spot and photo opp for tourists. hopefully the city will allow some vendors so you can pick up a dog and coke.

i'm starting to fear that this design will look more like something that would be best built in Savannah (hope i'm wrong). I'm all for adding a southern touch to the details, but perhaps because the architect is not local, he may be missing the point that Orlando is not a "southern" city, despite its geographic location.

i'm starting to fear that this design will look more like something that would be best built in Savannah (hope i'm wrong). I'm all for adding a southern touch to the details, but perhaps because the architect is not local, he may be missing the point that Orlando is not a "southern" city, despite its geographic location.

My fears as well.

Although it is neither... Orlando is more Miami than it is Savannah.

The article said inspirations are coming from: Colonnades and columns such as FUMC and Suntrust, Porches like Harry Leu's original home, Art Deco from Kress and Wellborn Suites on Lake Lucerne, Water and land from St. John's River, Alligators for color, texture and materials and the sun for solar energy. hmmm, I will just have to wait and see what kind of montage we get.

My fears as well.

Although it is neither... Orlando is more Miami than it is Savannah.

I've always thought Orlando was an interesting blend of the old south and south Florida styles.

That Particular area of downtown has such a divers mix of architecture styles... from Georgian (FUMCO), to neo-classical (city hall, art-deco, post modern, mediteranian, international, whatever you would call the grand bohemian, etc...

And I herd FMO could begin demo in October

Edited by RedStar25

Isn't this the Citrus Bowl thread? There is a DPAC elsewhere for this.