Famous Architects

Ruso

:ph34r: Why aren't there as much massively known architects as painters, writers, or musicians? It is interesting to realice that historically, architects have been less known by the general public, than their "artistic partners". I know that currently, only the ones favored by publicity reach massive consideration, while other much more relevant figures might be only remembered by small circles. However, it seems to me, (from a very ignorant point of view) that not even inside those small artistic circles, have architects been as promoted and "exploited" as other artists. :ph34r:

-Sorry for my ignorance, maybe there is a lot more than the few I know.... :blush::blink:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think more people are interested in art and music than architecture. Art and Music is more marketed. Architecture is more utilitarian in most folks eyes and not art. In my circle of friends and acquaintances (many of whom are in the art and film world), I am the only one who is passionate about architecture. I try to educate them and point out architectural wonders but it falls on deaf ears.

I watch people when I'm in a large, architecturally interesting building (or space) and 99% of them are going about their business, completely ignoring the fabulous 'art' in which they walk.

I feel privileged to be one of the few who appreciate architecture and as part of this small audience, I feel like the architects are speaking to me using their structures as a secret language.

I agree. Few people appreciate architecture as more than just mere buildings. Yet, it is curious that other, not necessarily appreciated arts, such as paintings, have more famous personalities. It is a given fact that arts are not necessarily promoted for the masses, but architectures do not even "excell" inside these artistic, "unpopular" circles. To learn about one, one needs to search in sources especialized only in architecture. :ph34r:

Sorry for my english..... :wacko:

^ Your English is fine. We get what you are saying.

I work in the business, ans so much of what we do as architects is marginalized by other trades like engineering, the visual arts, and even those cheesy home design computer programs they sell at discount stores.

Seemingly everyone who's not an architect wants to do architecture, and thinks that architects have easy, overpaid jobs, when really it's challenging as hell and the pay's lousy. It's a sad state of affairs.

Is it liberal arts? Because of the "tech", I guess no. Maybe I should consider eliminating the liberal arts option. But do u get history of arch? Because that would be extremely intersting to learn. Famous ideas, theories, proyects, architects...anything..... :D:ph34r:

Is it liberal arts? Because of the "tech", I guess no. Maybe I should consider eliminating the liberal arts option. But do u get history of arch? Because that would be  extremely intersting to learn. Famous ideas, theories, proyects, architects...anything..... :D  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The College of Architecture at Virginia Tech offers a well-rounded liberal arts eduaction including History of Architecture. Check out their website and you should be able to find a class outline for the program.

:ph34r: Why aren't there as much massively known architects as painters, writers, or musicians? It is interesting to realice that historically, architects have been less known by the general public, than their "artistic partners". I know that currently, only the ones favored by publicity reach massive consideration, while other much more relevant figures might be only remembered by  small circles. However, it seems to me, (from a very ignorant point of view) that not even inside those small artistic circles, have architects been as promoted and "exploited" as other artists. :ph34r:

-Sorry for my ignorance, maybe there is a lot more than the few I know.... :blush:  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even Michael Graves, who is a well known architect, is probably known more for his more artistically designed home products at Target.

Even Michael Graves, who is a well known architect, is probably known more for his more artistically designed home products at Target.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little off topic, but I have to mention this: I saw a Michael Graves "designed" George Foreman Grill at Target the other day. It was actually quite nice, but I cannot believe he pimped himself out like that!

Important Architects:

A

Alvar Aalto

B

Denise Scott Brown

C

Santiago Calatrava

Le Corbusier

D

Pierre de Meuron

Peter Dominick

E

Joseph Eichler

F

Sir Norman Foster

R. Buckminster Fuller

G

Antoni Gaud

• 2 weeks later...

If we are going to name our favorite architechs, I will give mine. They are the brothers Charles and Henry Greene. You can find lots about them by looking up Greene and Greene. They, unlike Frank Lloyd Wright, did sweat the details. Their homes were truely works of art. They also designed their own furniture to create a complete unit. Most of their homes are in Southern California. The most well known is the Gamble House, which is owned by the City of Pasadena and Southern Cal. It is open to the public. I went to Southern California this past spring and La Minatura by FLW had a blue tarp covering the entire house because it leaks like a sieve and the Ennis House is closed because it is no longer safe, but the Greene and Greene house still have their doors hung straight.

I work for an architecture firm, although I would say that I'm more passionate about studying/visiting/reading about architecture than practicing it - although I'm just getting my feet wet in the profession. But I totally agree that people don't appreciate buildings as art or even as something interesting. They just take for granted that some of the places they frequent are beautifully (or horribly) designed. Buildings have a practical function, while paintings and sculptures are purely aesthetic. It's interesting, architects who design buildings that are more like sculptures seem to grab more of the proverbial spotlight - like Calatrava for example, who is one of my favorites. I saw a lot of his work in Spain, and even something so utilitarian as his parking garage had my attention. Gaudi's work also had a sculptural quality to it, especially the elaborate metal work (his father was a blacksmith). I could go on, but I gotta get back to drawing some details...

• 3 weeks later...

Archived