What are they building there?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pave paradise indeed. It's going to be yet another Stop & Shop.

I drive by this everyday on the way to and from work. I'm happy to see that it appears they are at least saving the mini golf site. Im not sure why, but I was going to be sad to see it go. The speed that they are moving along on the main box is really fast. I have to admit that I will be happy to have a supermarket to stop at on the way home from work without having to trek off the highway.

Another question on a south county subject - Does anyone know whats going in on Rt 2 across from Vets Cemetary (next to the little strip mall). Development in that area scares me - its some of the only working farmland left in New England and I hate to think of ticky-tacky going up in its place.

I drive by this everyday on the way to and from work. I'm happy to see that it appears they are at least saving the mini golf site. Im not sure why, but I was going to be sad to see it go.

I'm glad, though, that the driving range was torn down... what sadist decided to build a driving range in the middle of a cloverleaf? :lol:

Another question on a south county subject - Does anyone know whats going in on Rt 2 across from Vets Cemetary (next to the little strip mall). Development in that area scares me - its some of the only working farmland left in New England and I hate to think of ticky-tacky going up in its place.

I know where you mean, but I'm not sure what it is either.

The development in South County is really alarming. Rt. 138 in Richmond is getting really bad, they put a Dunkin Dounts in Usquepaug, and a new Brooks w/ a traffic light closer to the highway. The rural areas and small businesses are what I love about South County. Now, the area seems to be the next Smithfield/Warwick/Seekonk.

I know where you mean, but I'm not sure what it is either.

The development in South County is really alarming. Rt. 138 in Richmond is getting really bad, they put a Dunkin Dounts in Usquepaug, and a new Brooks w/ a traffic light closer to the highway. The rural areas and small businesses are what I love about South County. Now, the area seems to be the next Smithfield/Warwick/Seekonk.

that area is indeed getting scary. I work right next to the train station in West Kingston, so we will sometimes drive down that way for lunch. That new Dunkin Donuts is only a mile or two from the other dunkin donuts near stop and shop. That is a very bad sign. It could very easily turn into a Rt2 situation.

Someone please tell me these houses weren't torn down to make way for more surface parking on Cedar Street:

2006-0621-brayton001.jpg

This is Brayton Avenue at the corner of Cedar Street on Federal Hill (on the 'Back of the Hill' as I like to call it). I have a fantasy of winning the lottery and building a row of rowhouses here, and would be happy if someone else has beaten me to the rowhouse building (especially since I don't even play the lottery). But I fear we'll see cars parked here next week. :cry:

This is what the Planning Department was able to tell me about these houses:

I was able to talk with Ed Civito in the building department. Ed was able to confirm that demolition permits were issued for the buildings. He was also able to confirm that the owner, Flexible Leased Business Spaces, Inc., is intending to use the space for parking. Ed informed the owner that the building was in an RG zone, and that they would need to apply to the Zoning Board for a special use permit for surface parking. It

Ed informed the owner that the building was in an RG zone, and that they would need to apply to the Zoning Board for a special use permit for surface parking.

Now, if there were ever something for a community organization to oppose, this is it. Is there a Federal Hill group to go argue this? Goodness, I'd go argue this at a zoning meeting!

- Garris

Addendum: While I believe Federal Hill needs a large, Portsmouth, NH/Empire on Broadway style municipal parking garage, this isn't the place for it, and isn't the neighborhood for it, and it isn't part of a comprehensive solution. Surface parking is the last thing that should be used to solve Federal Hill's parking problems...

Edited by Garris

How truly sad! I still don't fully understand how this sailed through...It seems a little funny to me unless the RG? zone is totally exempt from zoning? If that's so, if they wanted to put a strip club or an adult bookstore there, would that be exempt too?

I thought the DePasquale townhouses were bad years ago. This takes the cake. There is literally over an acre of unused surface parking in that same spot. The one remote corner of Federal hill that had any character at all ..( because I still think it's a dressed-up dump ) is stripped even more for a parking lot that will cater to the valets....because you know RI'ers aren't walking fom there to the restaurants. :unsure:

This is madening. We need to reduce the demand for surface parking in this city/state/country and consider taxing underutilized land at a higher rate to discourage this. Not an easy solution, but with the Transit 2020 Working Group currently (hopefully) working towards a plan and Providence Tomorrow, we have an opportunity to do something. The more urban minded people make this an issue (and there are dozens of posters on Rhode Island's message board), the better chance we have. I'm looking forward to the July 26th Providence Tomorrow kickoff. We can't solve it overnight, but we can create positive momentum which would be a good start.

Does anyone know why surveyors have been in the parking lot next to the Federal Center at the corner of Snow and Westminster for the past several days?

Comment on above: What happened to those buildings on the Hill is nothing short of a sin!

Is it just me or does that address look suspicioulsy close to Grants Bock?

I don't think so. If you believe the map, that location is the parking garage at the intersection of Richmond and Weybosset. Interesting...

- Garris

Just as a reminder, that marker is just to indicate Providence on the map. If you are a bidclerk subscriber, you get a full address. every Providence bidclerk listing except for one puts you on this spot.

Ooops, never mind then... :whistling:

- Garris

Cotuit,

Quick question... I was jogging by the Memorial Hall at RISD the other day and noticed it's all fenced off. What's going on? Are they renovating it?

- Garris

PS: For anyone caring besides me, the 111 Plain St. medical building addition near RIH is moving along nicely, and the added length has been done in the same brick and stone style as the old building rather than just slapping on a cheapo updated section. Nice...

Cotuit,

Quick question... I was jogging by the Memorial Hall at RISD the other day and noticed it's all fenced off. What's going on? Are they renovating it?

It's part of the Chace Center project. Right now they are doing asbestos remediation. Mem. Hall and the College Building will be integrated into the Chace Center. There's a lot of stuff moving around on campus right now. The mail room was in Mem. Hall, it has been moved to the Design Center, next to the RISD Store on North Main, the Library was in the College Building, that space is also being renovated now. I think the old libaray and Mem. Hall will mostly be becoming studio space.

Could be Hotel Napoli on Federal Hill, which interestingly (or not) was among the projects highlighted for the Federal Hill area at the Providence Tomorrow meeting tonight.

I hope so. It could also be Ed Bishop's dream of an Inn off of Thayer near Brown which the enlightened College Hill Neighborhood Association has vowed to fight to the death over...

- Garris