What are they building there?

I hope so. It could also be Ed Bishop's dream of an Inn off of Thayer near Brown which the enlightened College Hill Neighborhood Association has vowed to fight to the death over...

- Garris

why would they fight that? an inn near there would be good for the area and the colleges and probably make a killing.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would they fight that? an inn near there would be good for the area and the colleges and probably make a killing.

Three (kinda shabby) old homes that currently house apartments would be demolished for the new building. Also, one of the CHNA's reasons for being is to prevent encroachment of anything (educational, retail, commercial, etc) into the otherwise perfect residential sanctum (heavy sarcasm here, obviously).

I'm sure Brown wouldn't mind it all all. But Brown has bigger fights they'll want to wage then this one and they'll need all the political equity they can get.

- Garris

Actually, the original (one post) thread on UP about this is here.

I also noted this quote from myself on a previous forum after I met Ed Bishop at one of the Providence 2020 meetings:

I was talking briefly with Ed Bishop (who wants to do the hotel on Thayer) who implied a lot of anger at how he was going to have to spend tens of thousands of dollars to "fight the NIMBYs" (his quote, not mine) and agreed with my assertion that Thayer needs to be reimagined and expressed some frustration that such plans have been proposed before but never acted on.

- Garris

so i take it most of the east side residents are against any sort of change?

Oh, not by any means. There's a lot of people here who love the ongoing evolution and development of Providence, but they're not the ones running the neighborhood associations and not the ones being quoted by the Providence Journal...

The CHNA and Fox Point groups in particular are fairly reactionary. Given the opportunity, the CHNA would love to scale back the current incarnation of Thayer St, and there are one or two people heavily involved in the Wayland Sq group who feel the same about their neighborhood...

- Garris

Oh, not by any means. There's a lot of people here who love the ongoing evolution and development of Providence, but they're not the ones running the neighborhood associations and not the ones being quoted by the Providence Journal...

The CHNA and Fox Point groups in particular are fairly reactionary. Given the opportunity, the CHNA would love to scale back the current incarnation of Thayer St, and there are one or two people heavily involved in the Wayland Sq group who feel the same about their neighborhood...

- Garris

ummm... hasn't thayer been scaled back becaue of store closings already? what do they want? another residential street?

ummm... hasn't thayer been scaled back becaue of store closings already? what do they want? another residential street?

The way I look at it is that most *older people with money want things quiet, safe, and predictable. Any build up or change on Thayer threatens any one (or all 3) of those elements, thus the opposition to building up or changing Thayer street...

*an admitted generalization, no offense if you are loaded, older, and livin on the edge

The way I look at it is that most *older people with money want things quiet, safe, and predictable. Any build up or change on Thayer threatens any one (or all 3) of those elements, thus the opposition to building up or changing Thayer street...

*an admitted generalization, no offense if you are loaded, older, and livin on the edge

Complaints about Brown taking over College Hill have been coming from the CHNA for the last twenty years at least. If they had their way, Brown would consist of the quad only and have about 200 students.

I think there are some legitimate concerns with the amount of space Brown is using, particularly the fact that it reduces the tax basis on some pretty highly value property, but I think it's ridiculous that people would choose to live next to a university and then get upset as the university expands. (I consider Thayer St. size to be analagous to Brown/RISD growth) I guess it is just a different form of the same breed of NIMBYism that gets people who buy a house next to the airport asking for a reduction in airport noise.

• 2 weeks later...

640431_1.jpg

What building is this? Anybody have any idea? It has a 1BR condo selling for 150k and it looks really nice. There's no map included on realtor.com.

P.S. As I continue home-shopping, I remind all that I've found pages of condos and even single family homes IN Providence selling for well under 150k, even plenty of 2BR ones. Try North Providence and you can get one as low as 80k.

640431_1.jpg

What building is this? Anybody have any idea? It has a 1BR condo selling for 150k and it looks really nice. There's no map included on realtor.com.

That's right on Federal Hill on one side of DePasquale Square, as indicated by the fountain in the foreground. That picture is taken basically from the front door to Venda Ravioli.

Edited by brick

Holy sh!t! I was thinkin it was over there but couldn't beleive the price. Omg I can't imagine living above Venda and down the street from Scialo Bros, it'd be like a dream come true.

The biggest problem with those is the size. I know you probably think "what do I need extra space for" and I can agree with you. But I would definitely check it out before getting too excited. something about the achitechture and layout makes the 700 sq. ft. feel more like 400.

I certainly sympathize with Recchia's need for a car, but, thinking logically, if Providence seems attractive to ex New Yorkers and Bostonians and with commuter rail service to Boston and TF Green expanding coupled with Providence and Rhode Island's compact nature, I think there might be a market for residential units with no parking.

I certainly sympathize with Recchia's need for a car, but, thinking logically, if Providence seems attractive to ex New Yorkers and Bostonians and with commuter rail service to Boston and TF Green expanding coupled with Providence and Rhode Island's compact nature, I think there might be a market for residential units with no parking.

i'm sure there is a market like this. i do assume that the other condos in the same building were bought by someone...

There's been a unit available in that building (not sure if its the same unit) for at least 2 years. And it was up around $189k earlier. Even though I don't own a car, I'd be wary of buying a place without parking, could be a problem when its time to sell, although when I do finally buy, I plan to be there for a long time. Even in New York and Boston, there aren't many places that don't have somesort of parking. In New York its often off site, but its available.

• 1 month later...