What are they building there?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Ok, so this isn't in RI, but some of you might know anyways.

Travelling on 146S, on the right hand side in Uxbridge (just before the RI state line) there's a large metal framed structure going up. It's huge, too big to be one store I'd imagine. Anyone know what this might be?

I drove down Garfield Ave in Cranston Friday past Joe Paolino's property where Lowe's, Texas Roadhouse, Kibbs School, Kmart and other stores are and noticed that the foundation for a new building was up. Does anyone know what's going up here? The parcel is close to Cranston St.

Katherine Gibbs school expanded campus

Travelling on 146S, on the right hand side in Uxbridge (just before the RI state line) there's a large metal framed structure going up. It's huge, too big to be one store I'd imagine. Anyone know what this might be?

It IS one store... sort of. It is a BJ's Club distribution center... massive, like 18 acres or something. There was a story on it in the Valley Breeze, not sure if they have it online yet or not.

It IS one store... sort of. It is a BJ's Club distribution center... massive, like 18 acres or something. There was a story on it in the Valley Breeze, not sure if they have it online yet or not.

I too drove by this for the first time the other day. It's jaw-droppingly large--if you're in the area definitely check it out.

Does anyone know if it will include an actual store, or will it merely serve other stores?

It really isnt central geographically, but if you think about speedy access to the rest of the city from that area, it probably makes the most sense. They can hop on Rt-10 south and be at Rt-2/Reservoir Ave in no time or continue to the end of Rt-10 and be in eastern Cranston/Edgewood/Pawtuxet area very quickly, or continue onto I-95 south to Rt-37 and access most of the southern part of the city and they still have access to the western part of the city with a minimum of local roads via Cranston Street and Park Ave, etc.

It really isnt central geographically, but if you think about speedy access to the rest of the city from that area, it probably makes the most sense. They can hop on Rt-10 south and be at Rt-2/Reservoir Ave in no time or continue to the end of Rt-10 and be in eastern Cranston/Edgewood/Pawtuxet area very quickly, or continue onto I-95 south to Rt-37 and access most of the southern part of the city and they still have access to the western part of the city with a minimum of local roads via Cranston Street and Park Ave, etc.

Yeah, I guess having Rt 10 right there gives this location some legitimacy. If the DMV get's built across the street then this is going to be one busy corner. :w00t: What's the time table on the contruction being done on Rt 10 @ Cranston St?

Wow, thanks for the info. Nice to read that their keeping their existing workforce.

What's the time table on the contruction being done on Rt 10 @ Cranston St?

My guess is that it is essentially "done" now that Cranston street is reopened... However, Rt-10 doesnt really look done, especially the median on the northern end of the project, but I suspect this is because DOT doesnt want to pour any money into it because they will likely need to rip it all up again when they replace the Union Ave bridge and start the 6/10 Interchange project in a few years.

Also, what metal frame building is being constructed off the right side of 95 North right before the TF Green exit?

- Garris

This is a new Stop & Shop and Lowe's development on Greenwich Avenue - on the site of the old Apex store. They're also working just south of that site on a major reconfiguration of the intersection of Main Ave. and Greenwich Ave. (Routes 113 and 5) That project should take about 18 months but anybody who lives nearby remembers the Greenwood Bridge job. :rolleyes:

This is a new Stop & Shop and Lowe's development on Greenwich Avenue - on the site of the old Apex store. They're also working just south of that site on a major reconfiguration of the intersection of Main Ave. and Greenwich Ave. (Routes 113 and 5) That project should take about 18 months but anybody who lives nearby remembers the Greenwood Bridge job. :rolleyes:

Does Warwick really need ANOTHER Lowe's? I guess this one will allow all the actual Warwick residents to avoid going to Route 2 to do hardware shopping. But still...

Does Warwick really need ANOTHER Lowe's? I guess this one will allow all the actual Warwick residents to avoid going to Route 2 to do hardware shopping. But still...

Not to mention the Lowe's in Cranston, on Garfield Ave on Uncle Joe Paolino's land. That's three in a 5 mile radius. :ph34r:

Also, what metal frame building is being constructed off the right side of 95 North right before the TF Green exit?

- Garris

I've been wondering the same thing... it's tucked into the grassy area between the highway and on-ramp.

My guess is that is a new salt shed and equipment storage facility for the highway crew. If so, they could have picked a better location or at least will hopefully plant some shrubbery to screen it...

lowes is trying to capture the RI market

if you were their strategy plannersm, would you not do the same to stem the tide of home depots?

these stores talk a lot about owning markets and market share

this is how they accomplish that among other things

I was in the Lowe's in Seekonk last night and most of the workers were already complaining about how dead it was there.

One of the problem these stores will face is that they will be the first retailers hit during a housing bust. If people can't cash in on their equity, they won't do big improvement projects. And small builders/contracters who use places like Lowe's and HD will not have as much work.

I think the market is already oversaturated. From my place in Pawtucket, I am less then ten miles away from 3 Lowe's (N. Attleboro, Seekonk, Cranston) and 6 Home Depot (S. Attleboro, Seekonk, N. Providence, Johnston, Smithfield, Warwick). The Johnston HD, incidentally, was built there because Lowe's was looking at the property and not just because HD thought they needed a location there. If I am willing to go 15 miles, I can add Lowe's in Woonsocket and Warwick and a HD in Mansfield. It's crazy.

I've been wondering the same thing... it's tucked into the grassy area between the highway and on-ramp.

My guess is that is a new salt shed and equipment storage facility for the highway crew. If so, they could have picked a better location or at least will hopefully plant some shrubbery to screen it...

The shed's going up in the same place it was before, in between Route 37's eastbound and westbound sides next to the 95 interchange. Hopefully it won't collapse this time :rofl: