What are they building there?

Is the Lowe's going to have a second story, or is the extra steel just going to be part of a cheap facade?

My guess is a cheap facade that will hide the HVAC. Personally I'd rather look at the HVAC than fake dryvit gables and whatnot.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Federal Hill members... what's this all about?!

The Villas at Federal Hill (Ridge St and Tell St.)

1 and 2 Bedroom Condos starting at $159,900

I can't tell if they're selling the current apartment units in the current building, or if they're gonna demo the house and build a bigger structure. The price leads me to believe its the former. Does anybody know any details about this?

There was discussion in another thread about condos, conversions of triple deckers to condos, and whether the Providence condo market was ready to take on these type of units.

That's it... in front of the yellow on on that corner triangle. I should call the agent but I didn't write down the number.

:huh: $159,900 to live in a triple decker on Tell St.?!

Its hideous...

"almond" vinyl siding and plastic door special from Home Depot. Although, it IS affordable. If someone really wants to get in the market, there ya go. That same crap in Somerville MA (not THAT different from Fed Hill) is going for high $380's now. Ouch!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what they are building next to the Center for Women and Enterprise in Fox Point on George M. Cohan Blvd? The building next to it burned down last year and it looks like they have a replacement going up. Does anyone know anything about it? How it's going to look? Who is building it? The old building was quite nice, and it's a large structure in a visible location off of 195.

Behind Rhode Island Hospital, there is a 3-4 story brick building at the corner of Plain St and Oldham bordering the ocean of RIH surface parking that's actually quite nice. They've been gutting it for a while now, and were punching out holes today in one of the brick faces for what I guess is a new window. I'll ask around and see what's going in. I had heard that Foundation Medicine was getting new space, maybe this is it. Again, I'll ask around...

- Garris

Edited by Garris

well apparently someone heard my complaints earlier given the fact the eyesore that is "Armenian Heritage Park" on Smith Hill finally has something being done to it. some machinery had broken up most of the pavement as i drove by this afternoon. does anyone know what specifically is going here/if it's being turned into an actual park?

• 2 weeks later...

What are they building in the Johnston, RI shopping plaza? It used to be an old K-Mart. Now it has a Home Depot, Ruby Tuesday and Burlington Coat Factory. New buildings are being constructed next to the Burlington Coat Factory. Rumor has it that it is a Office Depot. But one smaller storre front, as far as I can tell, has the rooftop design on the front like it is for a Walmart or Lowe's? Can someone please shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

Edited by mod134

well apparently someone heard my complaints earlier given the fact the eyesore that is "Armenian Heritage Park" on Smith Hill finally has something being done to it. some machinery had broken up most of the pavement as i drove by this afternoon. does anyone know what specifically is going here/if it's being turned into an actual park?

i used to drive by that a lot when i was searching for apartments here... i always thought "oh nice, there's a park nearby"... and i never saw it. i guess it was an asphalt park or something.

i hope it's actually becoming a real park, smith hill could use one.

i used to drive by that a lot when i was searching for apartments here... i always thought "oh nice, there's a park nearby"... and i never saw it. i guess it was an asphalt park or something.

They are building a Tim Horton's. Smith Hill needs retail, no more parks. We already have Davis Park, Goddard Park playground, State House expanse, etc. Also, St. Patrick's just opened up their small park to the public.

Someone I know who is Armenian was saying she is surprised the local Armenian community hasn't stepped forward more to maintain it or demand better maintenance. I think a bit part of the problem is that, as with many immigrant communities, the Armenian one has moved on and is no longer based there...

- Garris

Smith Hill does need retail but I'd prefer something that isn't cheasy, like Tim Hortons, to be honest.

It might be cheesy, but they have better coffee than DD. Hell, we could still use a supermarket, a dry cleaners, a bank, and maybe a clothing store or 2, but I'll settle for this now. It is filling a spot that has been vacant, trash-strewn, and seriously blighted for many many years. It's a step in the right direction.

What are they building in the Johnston, RI shopping plaza? It used to be an old K-Mart. Now it has a Home Depot, Ruby Tuesday and Burlington Coat Factory. New buildings are being constructed next to the Burlington Coat Factory. Rumor has it that it is a Office Depot. But one smaller storre front, as far as I can tell, has the rooftop design on the front like it is for a Walmart or Lowe's? Can someone please shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

The plan is for a large retail center. They're going to use all of that land behind the Home Depot as well. From what I've heard, they're planning a WalMart Supercenter, Sam's Club, office supply store, Panera Bread, movie theater, and two restaurants. I believe it's the Panera that's being built near Burlington.

Here's a link:

http://www.carpionatoproperties.com/propsp...us-10111&Type=1

Found more here: http://www.carpionatoproperties.com/brochu...Marketplace.pdf.

This thing is also going to include: Walmart, Sam's Club, Panera Bread, Sleepy's, Petsmart, Office Depot and WorkNGear. That is huge and I cant wait for it to be done. However, they need to do some work on making sure the infrastructure can accomodate this, like an exit off the highway directly into the plaza, to divert traffic off of Rt. 5, Atwood Ave. As it stands now its a 2 lane road! With all that retail development, they need to make sure the road capacity -- or any changes ie: exits, additional entrances, etc. - made to it -- will be able to accomodate and better suit this massive project.

Edited by mod134

Found more here: http://www.carpionatoproperties.com/brochu...Marketplace.pdf.

This thing is also going to include: Walmart, Sam's Club, Panera Bread, Sleepy's, Petsmart, Office Depot and WorkNGear. That is huge and I cant wait for it to be done. However, they need to do some work on making sure the infrastructure can accomodate this, like an exit off the highway directly into the plaza, to divert traffic off of Rt. 5, Atwood Ave. As it stands now its a 2 lane road! With all that retail development, they need to make sure the road capacity -- or any changes ie: exits, additional entrances, etc. - made to it -- will be able to accomodate and better suit this massive project.

Congratulations, now Johnston can join the ranks of Warwick, Seekonk, and North Attleboro!

When does it get to the point that there are so many big box strips in one metro area that they actually start competing with eachother and kill eachother completely?

Edited by Recchia

Congratulations, now Johnston can join the ranks of Warwick, Seekonk, and North Attleboro!

When does it get to the point that there are so many big box strips in one metro area that they actually start competing with eachother and kill eachother completely?

when rhode islanders start driving more than 10-15 min to get somewhere.

Good point. Unfortunately, the goal of Wal-Mart, Home Depot is to eliminate the competition so that the individual stores start to compete with one another. The result is a lot of empty big box stores that the companies keep empty to ward off competition.

You know, so much of this drive toward big box development is--believe it or not--related to the fact that we rely so heavily on local property taxes to fund education. If school funding were centralized at the state level, a lot of this eagerness on the part of towns to attract development would disappear.

Edited by gregw

However, they need to do some work on making sure the infrastructure can accomodate this, like an exit off the highway directly into the plaza, to divert traffic off of Rt. 5, Atwood Ave. As it stands now its a 2 lane road!

Rte. 2 in Warwick is 4 lanes and its a parking lot during the daytime. Atwood Ave. is already super congested. :dontknow:

You know, so much of this drive toward big box development is--believe it or not--related to the fact that we rely so heavily on local property taxes to fund education. If school funding were centralized at the state level, a lot of this eagerness on the part of towns to attract development would disappear.

Yeppp. Big boxes mean lots of tax revenue yet little services the town has to provide (i.e. educational services that building residential requires) in return, and thus is always the most attractive to the town.