What are they building there?

Found more here: http://www.carpionatoproperties.com/brochu...Marketplace.pdf.

This thing is also going to include: Walmart, Sam's Club, Panera Bread, Sleepy's, Petsmart, Office Depot and WorkNGear. That is huge and I cant wait for it to be done. However, they need to do some work on making sure the infrastructure can accomodate this, like an exit off the highway directly into the plaza, to divert traffic off of Rt. 5, Atwood Ave. As it stands now its a 2 lane road! With all that retail development, they need to make sure the road capacity -- or any changes ie: exits, additional entrances, etc. - made to it -- will be able to accomodate and better suit this massive project.

do you realize that the same thing exists 10 min up the road in smithfield?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

At the intersection of Rt 5 (Lambert Lind Hghwy) and Pontiac Ave (East St/Mayfield Ave) on the Cranston/Warwick line, there's a lot that, for as long as I can remember, has been an overgrown stand of trees. Odd-shaped lot, curved along one edge, sorta like taking a 2-dimensional oval and quartering it. Anyway, I drove by there yesterday: the trees are cleared, the lot is all torn up with construction equipment all over the place, and it looks like they're building something. Anybody know what?

This thread is a place for people to ask about projects they see around the city, that they want to know about. Hopefully others will have answers about what's being built.

Does anyone know where the airport will expand to???? I live between Strawberry Field and Main on the Post Road side and want to see if I will be moving when the expansion begins.

Does anyone know where the airport will expand to???? I live between Strawberry Field and Main on the Post Road side and want to see if I will be moving when the expansion begins.

Please see this thread regarding the expansion: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...ic=23191&st=100

It is undecided if/where an extension would take place. You can see some of the possible plans here: http://www.vhb.com/pvd/eis/techstudies.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Could somebody tell me the name of the building on South Water Street near the Old Stone Bank, about 10 stories tall, pretty modern looking, with a seafood restaurant on the ground floor. Also, any idea how old it is?

It is/was called the Providence-Washington Sq building.

Apparently, there's a big redesign in the works for the Rt 4/Rt 138 interchange in North Kingstown. Hadn't heard a thing about it, but they started work, I dunno, maybe 10 days ago. They've got trees down, mountains of dirt, and they're smoothing out new paths for the roads to follow.

I know they had $4m set aside for unspecified (to me, at least) improvements to Rt 4, but I didn't think it would be enough for a project like this. The money wouldn't be coming out of the Rt 403 budget, would it? I know that's a pretty expansive project ...

Apparently, there's a big redesign in the works for the Rt 4/Rt 138 interchange in North Kingstown. Hadn't heard a thing about it, but they started work, I dunno, maybe 10 days ago. They've got trees down, mountains of dirt, and they're smoothing out new paths for the roads to follow.

I know they had $4m set aside for unspecified (to me, at least) improvements to Rt 4, but I didn't think it would be enough for a project like this. The money wouldn't be coming out of the Rt 403 budget, would it? I know that's a pretty expansive project ...

I saw that construction the other day, too. Technically, that interchange is the junction of Routes 1 and 138, so I don't know if it is receiving part of the $4m earmarked for Route 4. From what I can deduce, the interchange improvements are part of the plan to close off the median turning/suicide lanes on Route 1 and install turnarounds (Jersey-style jughandles or otherwise). They may be completing the interchange so it can be used as a turnaround. This is just my guess. Anyone know the official story? I haven't seen any press on this.

I saw that construction the other day, too. Technically, that interchange is the junction of Routes 1 and 138, so I don't know if it is receiving part of the $4m earmarked for Route 4. From what I can deduce, the interchange improvements are part of the plan to close off the median turning/suicide lanes on Route 1 and install turnarounds (Jersey-style jughandles or otherwise). They may be completing the interchange so it can be used as a turnaround. This is just my guess. Anyone know the official story? I haven't seen any press on this.

Yeah they're putting in a bunch of turnarounds so they can officially close all those little median U turn death traps. They're supposed to complete the cloverleaf at 138/4 to allow for a large turn around there.

Yeah they're putting in a bunch of turnarounds so they can officially close all those little median U turn death traps. They're supposed to complete the cloverleaf at 138/4 to allow for a large turn around there.

I think it's great that the DOT is finally closing up the suicide median lanes and installing U-Turns. But are they ever going to turn 1/138 into a trumpet interchange, so there isn't so much weaving on Route 1 south at the on- and off-ramps?

• 2 weeks later...

Someone please tell me these houses weren't torn down to make way for more surface parking on Cedar Street:

brayton-livelocal.jpg

LiveLocal View

2006-0621-brayton001.jpg

2006-0621-brayton002.jpg

This is Brayton Avenue at the corner of Cedar Street on Federal Hill (on the 'Back of the Hill' as I like to call it). I have a fantasy of winning the lottery and building a row of rowhouses here, and would be happy if someone else has beaten me to the rowhouse building (especially since I don't even play the lottery). But I fear we'll see cars parked here next week. :cry:

I asked someone about this and was told there was a large project proposed for this location some time ago, but nothing ever came of it. It could be that this demolition is the rebirth of that project, but that's just wild speculation.

I'm wondering, if there was a proposal before, and they got permission to demolish, is their a time limit on demo permits. I.E. do you have to use it or lose it? Or is there something that connects a demo permit to a particular use, i.e. if you get a demo permit to build something else do you have to build that something else, or can you later just use the permit to pave paradise and put up a parking lot?

If there are no sunset clauses or use clauses in demo permits, how do we go about getting the laws changed to attach conditions to demo permits?