ROSES DISCOUNT STORE - Where and When?

mediamongrel

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

Hi there is a Roses in Forest City N.C. It is about 45 min. from Charlotte. The store is old and a little run down but I still like it. It is at the place where Belk is and there is a licence plate place there. I have a stepson that loves South Pole clothing. We always buy him clothes for x-mas and b-day hes 16. Well one day I was there and they had South Pole,Polo and levis. We got things they had at belk like hoddies and things that were 45$ for 12$ and up we love to go look. thanks for your time.. :rolleyes:

• 11 months later...

Edit with Breaking news......... :P

Looking at the website, they had a listing for a new store in Kingx Mt outain NC but did not state witch one. There is now a store locater that you can choose any or all brands of stores they run, and city. Guess what is in Kings Mountain? Yep, a new Roses. I'm actually going to be in Kings Mt later today so I'll grab my camera and see what I can find.

http://www.vwstores.com/locator.php

The Roses in Belmont NC is still going, even with walmart right behind them since last year. The grocery store at the other end of the shopping center is a furniture store with some rather upscale items, at least to me as I hauled a $400 rug for my ex from there :lol:

Growing up in Lincolnton means I remember going to Roses. There was a food lion on the other end and was town down after I moved nack in 1999. Now it is a Lowes hardware and a Staples taking the space the Roses roughly held as well as a few tiny shops between.

The old Sky City location became a Lowes hardware before it's current move, and is now a Fred's an Aaron's rent to own. The other end of that shopping center is a biglots which was once a Lowes foods (a loooong time ago).

The walmart is just down the street with a bilo on the other end and a Belks in the middle, last regular (non-super) walmart I have seen in quite sometime.

Hope ya'll don't mind the bump, but I plan on going back to the Belmont Roses one day and looking around again soon. Might find some Ebay fodder :D

• 3 months later...

roses is still open in virginia at least acording to the listing on wikipedia with store's in abington, altavista, ashland , charlottesville, chatham. in chesapeke two locations on battlefield blvd & western branch blvd, also in exmore, farmville, franklin, fredericksburg, galax & hampton, also in harrisonburg (gods i remember going to the duke's plaza store), hopewell, martinsville, newport news, richlands, rocky mount, south hill, va beach, & yorktown.

The Rose family is from Henderson, NC. I have many friends from the Country Club neighborhood where they live or used to live. PBS's Charlie Rose also has a house in this neighborhood, not sure if he is related to them or not.

Ever seen a "Belk Leggitt"? The Leggitt family is also from this area.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow it's so odd to hear Roses opening more stores after a span of several decades of stagnation and retreat.... I'm glad for them tho....I have many a memory going to Roses as a kid, and it's always nice to have an alternative to Wal-Mart

It's not the same company. Roses that you are referring to went out of business in 1997. There is another larger company that bought the brand and is opening new stores using this name.

• 1 month later...

There is still a Roses store in Hickory, NC and Morganton, NC. I also remember Brendles, it was a wonderful store. And what is really interesting, I haven't heard about Sky City in years. My first job was in Sky City in Hickory. There was also one in Morganton at the time. Been out of business for years now. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

There is still a Roses store in Hickory, NC and Morganton, NC. I also remember Brendles, it was a wonderful store. And what is really interesting, I haven't heard about Sky City in years. My first job was in Sky City in Hickory. There was also one in Morganton at the time. Been out of business for years now. :shades:

I loved Roses back in the day, prior to when the original company went bankrupt. I loved their electronics/music section. The Roses that was an anchor at the mall in Shelby, NC was one of the last places if not the last place I bought an audio cassette tape, Shania Twain's "The Woman In Me." Unfortunatley, my walkman ate the tape a few days after I bought it and I soon started buying cds thereafter. The last Roses I've been to was the one in Forest City, NC. While I'm glad to see the store still open, it's just not the same as it used to be. We once had 3 Roses here in Spartanburg, SC, but the last one closed at least 12 years ago. I'd like to see a Roses reopen here, although I would like to see the company try to return to it's former glory which as stated before they really need to remodel and update some of their older stores and get better/newer merchandise. The closest thing we have to a Roses here now is a Maxway (owned by Variety Wholesalers, ironically in the same shopping center that the longest-lasting Roses was in) and a Super 10 dollar store also owned by the same company that owns Roses and Maxway.

We also used to have 2 Sky City stores and 2 K-Marts as well as a Brendle's which have all been closed for years. The closest K-Mart is now about 30 minutes away in Greenville, SC. I definitely prefer shopping at K-Mart, Roses or Target any day than Wal-Mart which I try to avoid as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

There are still 3 Roses' left in Fayetteville: Bordeaux-Owen Drive, Cape Fear Plaza-Eastern Blvd., and Westwood-Morganton Rd. There is still 1 Maxway located on Yadkin Road-Ponderosa; and 1 Treausre Mart (which used to be a Roses) in Hope Mills-Village Shopping Center. The Bordeaux and Westwood Roses' have been here at least since the 70's. I still visit Roses and there is usually quite a few people in the stores shopping.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard that a Roses is opening up in a former Belks at Wilson Mall aka Parkwood Mall in Wilson, joining Sears and JCPenney as an anchor. It's set to open in March 2010. I for one cannot picture a circa 1980's Belks with a Roses logo on it but I have never been to that mall to see the store.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

wow I didn't notice an empty anchor at South Hills (I'm assuming they aren't building from the ground up that isn't Variety Wholesalers style). There was a large furniture store that was accessable inside the mall that closed down recently. If I recall correctly it was in the spot right next to Burlington Coat Factory.

Very cool news though! Go Roses!

• 5 months later...

Here's a pic of North Duke Crossings (formerly North Duke Mall) in Durham. I remember this Roses actually being one of the more modern ones during the '80's and '90's although I think once the chain became a part of Variety Wholesalers it sort of became a giant dollar store and hasn't been remodled since. As a side note the Staples used to be a Winn Dixie until the early '90s, and the Roses opened up into the mall before it was demailled in the mid-late 90's:

NorthDuke1.jpg

Archived