Visiting Kansas City this summer

RiversideGator

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am trying to come up with an itinerary for a visit to KC this summer for 2 days.  I want to hit all the highlights and eat at the best BBQ places.  Any recommendations?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're looking for barbecue, I recommend Fiorella's Jack Stack, which has three locations, but I would steer you towards the one downtown in the Crossroads district in the Freighthouse area-- it's almost right behind Union Station.

Also, there's the First Friday art gallery crawl on the first fridays of every month in the afore-mentioned Crossroads district, if you happen to be here then.

If you happen to be in town on a Saturday, check out the farmer's market in the River Market district just north of the downtown loop. Again, there's a barbecue joint directly adjacent to the farmer's market, as well as a few restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and residential lofts in the area too.

There's a spate of new development downtown that's coming online in the next couple of years, but as for now you'll find a giant hole in the south loop area of downtown where construction is beginning.

Check out Westport (especially on a Friday or Saturday night-- lots of bars) and the Plaza as well.

If you like art, there's the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art (currently undergoing an expansion project under the auspices of Stephen Holl) just east of the Plaza-- it's in a grand old art-deco fortress.

Definetly check out KC's Union Station and Liberty Memorial, both historic landmarks and worth seeing.

Drive down Ward Parkway to see the mansions. Stroll around the Plaza and Westport and check out the shops at Crown Center and Hallmark headquarters visitor center.

• 7 months later...

Archived