Baltimore DT housing boom

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

Here is an excerpt from an article showing Baltimore's DT residential growth. It's pretty amazing:

Building boom

Since 1999, downtown's multifamily housing stock -- meaning condos and apartments -- has bulked up by 1,195 units, according to the partnership. This year alone, there are 1,076 multifamily units under construction, including Centerpoint on the west side, Spinnaker Bay off President Street and Symphony Center on Howard Street.

Ground is expected to be broken on another 447 downtown units in the next 90 to 180 days, including the Zenith at Paca and Pratt streets, Market Center West on West Lombard Street and the Abel Building on West Baltimore Street.

Full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/real...ore_focus1.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

Damn, nearly 4000 residences in 4-5 years? That's very impressive.

You may know Steve, what are the DT condo/apartment prices like? Are they generally pricey or pretty normal?

Actually, they were pretty decent, but now they are raising a bit. There isn't to many 'pricey' ones compared to the majority of the developing residences. I'll have look for some exact numbers. I know I seen a whole bunch of them just the other day. When I find them I'll post them.

Guest donaltopablo

Thanks StevenW. If you don't happen to find specifics, no big deal. I was just curious the general range they are in.

For example, here in Atlanta condos in midtown tend to realistically priced, usually starting in the 120s with lots being developed, vs. say Buckhead where they are often near 200s with many of the units being in the 400-1 million range.

Thanks for the renderings, StevenW! I agree with tocoto. I like the one with the green glass the best. I've never really been a big fan of red brick on skyscrapers. I like buildings like the Guardian Building in Detroit that are made of brick, but usually I'd rather see stone on skyscrapers as opposed to brick.

Actually, the first rendering is my little creation. The rendering is of the "Water Tower" apartments. I didn't like the off-white garage, (as seen a little bit below in the other renderings), so I just wanted to see what the tower would look like with the whole tower looking the same.

But, yeah, I'd rather see another type of building material as well.

Thanks for the comments. :)

BTW, the first rendering is off of the 'newly designed Water Tower. The other two are the older designs that the Water Tower had.

The next tower is the older design of 300 east pratt street apartment tower. Finally, the last two pics/renderings are of the "Zenith" being constructed as of this month, I believe.

Water Tower should be around 350 ft. tall.

300 east pratt, at least, should be around 400 ft. tall.

The Zenith will be at 220 ft. tall. It was supposed to be very tall, BUT, the city made them cut the project in half because of helocopter flight paths to the hospital near by.

The 300 east pratt tower was 're-designed'. So I'm not actually sure if it will look anything like the rendering above anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't say for sure, but my guess would be that the city demolishes the abandoned buildings, and then turns around and sells the lots to developers who build new houses on them. Or at least that's how it works in Flint & Detroit. I'm assuming that Baltimore deals with vacant properties in a similar manner.

Does anyone know how many vacant properties exist in Baltimore today?

Archived