Should Memphis pursue NHL or MLB??

Memphisborn

Recent news has suggested that the Tampa Bay Rays and the Arizona Coyotes may be up for sale soon. Florida governor has made it publicly clear that he will not subsidize a new stadium in Tampa. Several reports state the rays owner has been in talks with potential groups about a possible sale. The coyotes failed to gain public support for a stadium district in Tempe and are currently playing in a college hockey arena ASU that holds 4600 capacity. Is one of these an option for Memphis to pursue ?? Robert Pera?Richard Smith?  Pitt Hyde?? Thoughts on this.  

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nhl/2023/5/17/23727048/airzona-coyotes-relocation-rumors-election-maricopa-county

https://brobible.com/sports/article/rays-could-relocate-in-sale/

Hockey is dead for the foreseeable future after the Riverkings of the CHL/SPHL ceased operations a few years ago. You would think someone would use that as a means of going after an existing AHL team or pursuing an ECHL expansion team to occupy the Landers Center in Southaven, but none of those things have happened. Also, as far as the NHL goes, FedExForum - much like Barclays Center (former home of the New York Islanders) - wasn't built for hockey as the arena's configuration was done primarily for basketball, and a large section would have to be tarped off on one end because of poor sight lines.

And you can forget about pursuing an MLB team due to (1) a lack of investors in the Memphis metro to make that possible, and (2) Memphis being considered as St. Louis Cardinals territory. You hear cities like Nashville and Charlotte talk about pursuing an MLB team, but that's because they have adequate investors and corporate capital support to make those things happen. We don't.

It's fine to dream and all, but that's the harsh reality for us. We're not a growing city, let alone a growing metro; we don't have enough investors with deep pockets to make such moves, and we're the smallest media market to have a Big 4 (Big 5 if you include MLS) major league sports franchise right behind New Orleans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Owen said:

Hockey is dead for the foreseeable future after the Riverkings of the CHL/SPHL ceased operations a few years ago. You would think someone would use that as a means of going after an existing AHL team or pursuing an ECHL expansion team to occupy the Landers Center in Southaven, but none of those things have happened. Also, as far as the NHL goes, FedExForum - much like Barclays Center (former home of the New York Islanders) - wasn't built for hockey as the arena's configuration was done primarily for basketball, and a large section would have to be tarped off on one end because of poor sight lines.

And you can forget about pursuing an MLB team due to (1) a lack of investors in the Memphis metro to make that possible, and (2) Memphis being considered as St. Louis Cardinals territory. You hear cities like Nashville and Charlotte talk about pursuing an MLB team, but that's because they have adequate investors and corporate capital support to make those things happen. We don't.

It's fine to dream and all, but that's the harsh reality for us. We're not a growing city, let alone a growing metro; we don't have enough investors with deep pockets to make such moves, and we're the smallest media market to have a Big 4 (Big 5 if you include MLS) major league sports franchise right behind New Orleans.

While I wholeheartedly agree with your entire post, and while most of us have to mainly dream for impossible situations to come to pass in Memphis I dare to say it is possible. It was impossible, unfathomable and unthinkable when it came to Sterick, Crosstown and even our beloved Grizzlies. I definitely dreamed about an NBA franchise when I was younger and the impossible happened. Everything is subject to change. There is no argument against the facts that you’ve presented, but we’ve all heard the naysayers when it came to the grizzlies. Too small, they won’t support it, etc. I think the success of the NBA (and Memphis historically being one of the top cities when it comes to ratings watching NBA games) has propelled the city forward in a positive way. 

I watched the Showboats game this past Saturday and the announcers were extremely positive about the support being shown to the team. The coaches and players mentioned it. Memphis is clamoring for teams they can call their own, especially major league ones. We’ve graduated to that level now. 

I’m ok with the NBA alone. Wouldn’t mind seeing any of the others either. Someday it’ll happen. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with your entire post, and while most of us have to mainly dream for impossible situations to come to pass in Memphis I dare to say it is possible. It was impossible, unfathomable and unthinkable when it came to Sterick, Crosstown and even our beloved Grizzlies. I definitely dreamed about an NBA franchise when I was younger and the impossible happened. Everything is subject to change. There is no argument against the facts that you’ve presented, but we’ve all heard the naysayers when it came to the grizzlies. Too small, they won’t support it, etc. I think the success of the NBA (and Memphis historically being one of the top cities when it comes to ratings watching NBA games) has propelled the city forward in a positive way. 

I watched the Showboats game this past Saturday and the announcers were extremely positive about the support being shown to the team. The coaches and players mentioned it. Memphis is clamoring for teams they can call their own, especially major league ones. We’ve graduated to that level now. 

I’m ok with the NBA alone. Wouldn’t mind seeing any of the others either. Someday it’ll happen. 

Agreed it’s definitely possible. Sterick, Crosstown, NBA we’re all impossible. We see what happened. It take a deep pocket owner(Robert Pera) and a willing City leadership. As far as corporate support goes We have that no doubt. Now could be that time Guardian the rays lease expires 2027. I say we pull the rug up under Nashville feet like they did us with the NFL. Memphis Rays !!! 

• Like 1

Yeah, I don’t think NHL or MLB are viable in Memphis. NFL or MLS would have much better viability. Don’t think anyone with Memphis ties would have much interest in NHL. Other cities like Houston, KC, Milwaukee, Portland or Hamilton much more likely. Even a return to Quebec City, Hartford, or Atlanta more viable than Memphis. I’d rather renovate MSC and get an ECHL there. 

Regarding MLB, as others said, too much of Cardinals territory. There is already an ownership group for Nashville with a plan. There is a stadium plan for Portland. Charlotte, San Antonio, and Salt Lake City have already expressed interest. MLB will like expand with two new franchises once Tampa stadium situation is settled. So, it’s possible to have 4 new MLB cities in the next few years. Obviously Vegas is one. Nashville very likely too. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I don’t think NHL or MLB are viable in Memphis. NFL or MLS would have much better viability. Don’t think anyone with Memphis ties would have much interest in NHL. Other cities like Houston, KC, Milwaukee, Portland or Hamilton much more likely. Even a return to Quebec City, Hartford, or Atlanta more viable than Memphis. I’d rather renovate MSC and get an ECHL there. 

Regarding MLB, as others said, too much of Cardinals territory. There is already an ownership group for Nashville with a plan. There is a stadium plan for Portland. Charlotte, San Antonio, and Salt Lake City have already expressed interest. MLB will like expand with two new franchises once Tampa stadium situation is settled. So, it’s possible to have 4 new MLB cities in the next few years. Obviously Vegas is one. Nashville very likely too. 

I agree about MLB and NHL simply due to demographics. In a mostly African American metro, I would believe most would angle towards NFL way before NHL and MLB. Although I could see the MLS as an option above both MLB and NHL. The goal in the future should be to have the MLS and the NFL, no matter what. MLB is ok, but I don’t think we should settle on these narratives that have held us back from even thinking about competing for another franchise. The narrative of being Cardinals territory is one I never liked, although I agree with because of the proximity, but if there are Cardinal fans, why can’t they be turned into hometown fans? I’d like for us to stop settling and go after our own. As long as there’s support then we should be bold and throw our name in the hat even though we may lose. We were aggressive with the NFL, so we shouldn’t stop. Progress.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I agree about MLB and NHL simply due to demographics. In a mostly African American metro, I would believe most would angle towards NFL way before NHL and MLB. Although I could see the MLS as an option above both MLB and NHL. The goal in the future should be to have the MLS and the NFL, no matter what. MLB is ok, but I don’t think we should settle on these narratives that have held us back from even thinking about competing for another franchise. The narrative of being Cardinals territory is one I never liked, although I agree with because of the proximity, but if there are Cardinal fans, why can’t they be turned into hometown fans? I’d like for us to stop settling and go after our own. As long as there’s support then we should be bold and throw our name in the hat even though we may lose. We were aggressive with the NFL, so we shouldn’t stop. Progress.

NFL would be the obvious favorite but unless the Jaguars stadium deal falls thru there are no candidates currently also MLS just awarded San Diego a franchise so no more expansion soon relocation maybe. Honestly I believe WNBA and the USL super league (women) will be our next franchise. Would love NFL just don’t see it in near future. 

• Like 1

I believe an NHL team would be good for the city, because there is still a significantly large number of hockey loving fans in the city. I have attended games for both the Predators and Blues, and I have run into quite a few Memphians at those games. It is not like hockey would be new to the area, because I remember how exciting the River Kings and the Tigers hockey games were. It would also give the kids, in the city, another option to choose from for sports interest and activities. It would make the city more appealing with sports options.  

From the information that I gathered, the Coyotes could be purchased at a steal of deal, because the team is valued at about $400 million. I would love to see a local partnership, with black owners, buy the team and relocate it to Memphis.  Imagine the rivalry between the Blues, Predators, and a Memphis hockey team. This is something that should certainly be pursued because I believe, it would also have a noticeable economic impact on the city as well.

I am sure the Ford executives that are moving to the area would appreciate having a hockey team close too.

One of the smartest business decisions the St. Louis Cardinals made was select Memphis as its minor league incubator, because that eliminated the potential of a nearby competitor.  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 6:26 PM, James Owen said:

I am not sure who it was, but two or three years ago someone, from Florida, looked at bringing hockey back to Memphis, and from what I understand, they could not work out a deal with the Landers Center and that is why it never happened.

FedEx Forum may have been built primarily for basketball, but I attended a Predators game there and it seem alright to me. The Preds 

I must agree, an MLB team isn’t going to happen, because the Cardinals made a smart and decisive decision to scoop Memphis up and bring it under its umbrella. Having a minor league team affiliate in Memphis has worked to the Cardinals favor.

One of things that fascinate me with Memphis is when people say Memphis can’t or won’t, Memphis does the opposite of what the naysayers say.

Having said that, I would argue that Memphis is a growing city, as well as the metro, and Memphis has a lot of deep pockets that could be potential investors. I was recently reminded, by a colleague, that there is a lot of old money in Memphis, and he pointed out that there are several private billionaire families that call Memphis home, and their wealth is not open for public news like the Smiths and Hyde’s. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Detroit and St Louis would like a word with you. If you attend any of their MLB and NHL games, you will see a large African American  presence. I am old enough to remember the River Kings and Tiger's games and they there would always be a large African American crowd in attendance. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

Detroit and St Louis would like a word with you. If you attend any of their MLB and NHL games, you will see a large African American  presence. I am old enough to remember the River Kings and Tiger's games and they there would always be a large African American crowd in attendance. 

Yeah, I don't think the racial makeup of the city has anything to do with it, but just people in the South in general.  While there are definitely hockey fans in the South, I just don't think its in the same numbers as you will find in Mid-West or Northern cities, and definitely less compared to NFL/NBA/MLB fans in the South.  Weather and lack of ice rinks throughout the South prohibit as many kids growing up playing hockey, so there's not that funnel to becoming of fan of something you play as a kid.  Some larger metropolitan cities in the South can achieve adequate support for the NHL, but they are helped with larger quantity of people and if they have high numbers of people that have relocated there from the Mid-West or Northeast.  Atlanta failed to keep an NHL team.  Houston, the 4th largest city in the country has never had an NHL team.  I don't watch or keep up with the NHL, but if Memphis got a team, I would likely become a fan.  I don't have any strong opinions on whether Memphis could or could not support a hockey franchise, I just think it is very unlikely that an ownership group would look towards Memphis as a relocation city, when there's numerous other cities that look much better on paper.  Especially if there's not any initiative from the city leaders in garnering support to bring in a team, or having a plan to bring in a team.  

I think Memphis would be great for a WNBA franchise.  They are planning on expanding in the next year or two with two new franchises.  Many cities have presented plans for an expansion franchise.  Nashville had a detailed report with local surveys and everything.  I think they are down to 12 finalists, and Nashville is considered one of the leading cities.  I've heard nothing of Memphis pursuing one.  They do prefer their WNBA teams to be able to partner with NBA teams, but its not necessary.  A renovated MSC would be great for a WNBA team, but there's also the FedEx Forum, as many WNBA teams play in NBA arenas.  I think a women's professional soccer team would be great too, but that won't happen until we get a soccer stadium.  Hopefully with the new state funding, it will happen.  And ideally not at the expense of the MSC.  

https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2022/06/17/possible-wnba-expansion-cities/

6 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I believe an NHL team would be good for the city, because there is still a significantly large number of hockey loving fans in the city. I have attended games for both the Predators and Blues, and I have run into quite a few Memphians at those games. It is not like hockey would be new to the area, because I remember how exciting the River Kings and the Tigers hockey games were. It would also give the kids, in the city, another option to choose from for sports interest and activities. It would make the city more appealing with sports options.  

From the information that I gathered, the Coyotes could be purchased at a steal of deal, because the team is valued at about $400 million. I would love to see a local partnership, with black owners, buy the team and relocate it to Memphis.  Imagine the rivalry between the Blues, Predators, and a Memphis hockey team. This is something that should certainly be pursued because I believe, it would also have a noticeable economic impact on the city as well.

I am sure the Ford executives that are moving to the area would appreciate having a hockey team close too.

One of the smartest business decisions the St. Louis Cardinals made was select Memphis as its minor league incubator, because that eliminated the potential of a nearby competitor.  

Agreed and we already have the facility. Which huge as a start. 400 million is on the low low end for NHL franchises I could see Richard Smith doing something like this. You made an excellent point about ford exces being on board with this, I can see them giving corporate support to this. While many may feel we would not support it I disagree the river kings had good success and they were minor league you bring NHL downtown with all the new condos/ apts/ hotels either being built or proposed and u would see a lot of young millennials black & white @ the games. Also that might help solve the MSC issue if u think about it, NHL would be the logical second tenant and get dates & The tigers could go BACK to MSC as the anchor tenant in a renovated MSC it’s closer to campus for students and they would be right next to football team @ LB it just makes sense and they would have control of the arena as far as scheduling goes. The coyotes may go for less than 400 mil. The Florida panthers were just sold for 250 million plus arena operations rights.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1788377-florida-panthers-reportedly-sold-to-vincent-viola.amp.html

Edited by Memphisborn

4 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I've never seen any at hockey games, especially when they show clips of Preds games on Bally Sports Southeast. No diversity, which is one reason why I'm against it. 

On 5/24/2023 at 6:36 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I've never seen any at hockey games, especially when they show clips of Preds games on Bally Sports Southeast. No diversity, which is one reason why I'm against it. 

I mean... I'm as pro diversity as the next progressive person, but it seems a little weird to hold a "lack of diversity" against the NHL when the sport they represent is generally only popular in places with frigid (i.e. places with a lot of ice,) and not at all coincidentally, very white populations.  It's not like they're trying to be a majority white league on purpose.  It's just that there don't happen to be a whole lot of ice hockey prospects coming out of Haiti or Angola or Colombia, at the moment... for reasons I cannot comprehend! 😒

On 5/24/2023 at 3:25 PM, MDC26 said:

Yeah, I don't think the racial makeup of the city has anything to do with it, but just people in the South in general.  While there are definitely hockey fans in the South, I just don't think its in the same numbers as you will find in Mid-West or Northern cities, and definitely less compared to NFL/NBA/MLB fans in the South.  Weather and lack of ice rinks throughout the South prohibit as many kids growing up playing hockey, so there's not that funnel to becoming of fan of something you play as a kid.  Some larger metropolitan cities in the South can achieve adequate support for the NHL, but they are helped with larger quantity of people and if they have high numbers of people that have relocated there from the Mid-West or Northeast.  Atlanta failed to keep an NHL team.  Houston, the 4th largest city in the country has never had an NHL team.  I don't watch or keep up with the NHL, but if Memphis got a team, I would likely become a fan.  I don't have any strong opinions on whether Memphis could or could not support a hockey franchise, I just think it is very unlikely that an ownership group would look towards Memphis as a relocation city, when there's numerous other cities that look much better on paper.  Especially if there's not any initiative from the city leaders in garnering support to bring in a team, or having a plan to bring in a team.  

I think Memphis would be great for a WNBA franchise.  They are planning on expanding in the next year or two with two new franchises.  Many cities have presented plans for an expansion franchise.  Nashville had a detailed report with local surveys and everything.  I think they are down to 12 finalists, and Nashville is considered one of the leading cities.  I've heard nothing of Memphis pursuing one.  They do prefer their WNBA teams to be able to partner with NBA teams, but its not necessary.  A renovated MSC would be great for a WNBA team, but there's also the FedEx Forum, as many WNBA teams play in NBA arenas.  I think a women's professional soccer team would be great too, but that won't happen until we get a soccer stadium.  Hopefully with the new state funding, it will happen.  And ideally not at the expense of the MSC.  

https://lastwordonsports.com/basketball/2022/06/17/possible-wnba-expansion-cities/

I agree that having the right infrastructure, in place, is important to build a strong fan base. Look at what they are doing with rugby and soccer in the city. However, I am old enough to remember the discussions about Memphis getting an NBA and NFL franchise too, and all of this occurred while the RiverKings were playing in the Coliseum.

Memphis’s history with hockey should not be dismissed and hockey would still be an active sport, in the Memphis area, if the RiverKings had never changed leagues and owners, and if the U of M had joined a conference with schools that played hockey. The arrogance and greed of the owners of the RiverKings is why hockey no longer played here.  

There are a lot of deep pocket Memphians that attended those RiverKings’ games, before they relocated to Southaven, and I believe if the right deal were presented, they would consider investing and relocating an NHL franchise to Memphis. I know hockey originated in Canada, but it is also sport that is appreciated even in the deep South, like Miami.

I had a conversation with a local figurehead in the last election and this person said, “people doubt Memphis because of its large black population, and this has even affected the decisions of some elected leaders…However, if you give Memphians something to support, and a reason to support it, they will show up and show out.” Then I was asked for my vote.

Having said that, we need to look for leadership that is aggressive and understand the more diverse the amenities the more appealing is Memphis.

I personally believe the WNBA would be supported by the city, because we have some NBA players that are incredibly supportive of the WNBA. I imagine if the WNBA were to award a franchise to Memphis, we have several players that would more than likely become minority owners.

On 5/24/2023 at 4:55 PM, Memphisborn said:

Agreed and we already have the facility. Which huge as a start. 400 million is on the low low end for NHL franchises I could see Richard Smith doing something like this. You made an excellent point about ford exces being on board with this, I can see them giving corporate support to this. While many may feel we would not support it I disagree the river kings had good success and they were minor league you bring NHL downtown with all the new condos/ apts/ hotels either being built or proposed and u would see a lot of young millennials black & white @ the games. Also that might help solve the MSC issue if u think about it, NHL would be the logical second tenant and get dates & The tigers could go BACK to MSC as the anchor tenant in a renovated MSC it’s closer to campus for students and they would be right next to football team @ LB it just makes sense and they would have control of the arena as far as scheduling goes. The coyotes may go for less than 400 mil. The Florida panthers were just sold for 250 million plus arena operations rights.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1788377-florida-panthers-reportedly-sold-to-vincent-viola.amp.html

I doubt the Tigers would give up FedEx Forum, but I would like to see the MCS retain its arena component while also adding a museum, brewery/ sports centered restaurant/ retail, and a family friendly component. I am so glad that we are having this discussion, about hockey, because if we're thinking about it, I hope the powers to be will start to discuss it as well. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 5:36 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

There is diversity in the crowds, because there are a lot of black people that love hockey too. 

9 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

I doubt the Tigers would give up FedEx Forum, but I would like to see the MCS retain its arena component while also adding a museum, brewery/ sports centered restaurant/ retail, and a family friendly component. I am so glad that we are having this discussion, about hockey, because if we're thinking about it, I hope the powers to be will start to discuss it as well. 

With the forum set for renovation I strongly believe a possible NHL team has been discussed by the powers that be. A lot happens in terms of discussions behind the scenes that the general population knows nothing about. If Robert Pera has interest in a NHL team it could realistically happen. No need to ask for taxpayer dollars to fund a arena that’s been done with the 350 million state funds. Relocation could be a reality 

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I mean... I'm as pro diversity as the next progressive person, but it seems a little weird to hold a "lack of diversity" against the NHL when the sport they represent is generally only popular in places with frigid (i.e. places with a lot of ice,) and not at all coincidentally, very white populations.  It's not like they're trying to be a majority white league on purpose.  It's just that there don't happen to be a whole lot of ice hockey prospects coming out of Haiti or Angola or Colombia, at the moment... for reasons I cannot comprehend! 😒

I’m not holding it against the NHL, the demographics are what they are. I’m all for it being in Memphis but I just wish hockey was more of worldwide game like futbol or basketball so everyone can relate and be unified. I’m not for division in anyway. In order for hockey to be successful here, it must be marketed and promoted so the younger generations and current generation of all creeds, colors, ethnicities can enjoy it together. I was introduced to hockey when messier and Gretzky were at the top. I enjoyed looking at some games on ESPN. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I’m not holding it against the NHL, the demographics are what they are. I’m all for it being in Memphis but I just wish hockey was more of worldwide game like futbol or basketball so everyone can relate and be unified. I’m not for division in anyway. In order for hockey to be successful here, it must be marketed and promoted so the younger generations and current generation of all creeds, colors, ethnicities can enjoy it together. I was introduced to hockey when messier and Gretzky were at the top. I enjoyed looking at some games on ESPN. 

Ah, I gotcha.  That is very fair... my apologies for misunderstanding your post.   

11 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I agree that having the right infrastructure, in place, is important to build a strong fan base. Look at what they are doing with rugby and soccer in the city. However, I am old enough to remember the discussions about Memphis getting an NBA and NFL franchise too, and all of this occurred while the RiverKings were playing in the Coliseum.

Memphis’s history with hockey should not be dismissed and hockey would still be an active sport, in the Memphis area, if the RiverKings had never changed leagues and owners, and if the U of M had joined a conference with schools that played hockey. The arrogance and greed of the owners of the RiverKings is why hockey no longer played here.  

There are a lot of deep pocket Memphians that attended those RiverKings’ games, before they relocated to Southaven, and I believe if the right deal were presented, they would consider investing and relocating an NHL franchise to Memphis. I know hockey originated in Canada, but it is also sport that is appreciated even in the deep South, like Miami.

I had a conversation with a local figurehead in the last election and this person said, “people doubt Memphis because of its large black population, and this has even affected the decisions of some elected leaders…However, if you give Memphians something to support, and a reason to support it, they will show up and show out.” Then I was asked for my vote.

Having said that, we need to look for leadership that is aggressive and understand the more diverse the amenities the more appealing is Memphis.

I personally believe the WNBA would be supported by the city, because we have some NBA players that are incredibly supportive of the WNBA. I imagine if the WNBA were to award a franchise to Memphis, we have several players that would more than likely become minority owners.

I don't think the WNBA has named any of their expansion city finalists, but it would be a shame if Memphis isn't on there because the city put no effort into it at all.  Memphis is a great basketball city, has a very well supported NBA team, and has an All-Star/DPOY who's mother works for the WNBA-PA, and another superstar that is very vocal in supporting the WNBA.  

I hadn't thought about the renovation plans for FEF could be done in mind for having a potential hockey franchise.  I think it would require having someone like Pera or Smith with close ties to Memphis and believes in Memphis, to buy a franchise like the Coyotes, and move them to Memphis.  I find it very unlikely an outside ownership group would have Memphis at the top of their list unless someone did some very good convincing.  At the very least, I hoped for renovation of MSC for plans of getting minor league hockey and WNBA.  There are other options for a soccer stadium than tearing down MSC.  

• Like 2

The unwavering support by the NHL for the Coyotes in Arizona is kinda sad.  They went bankrupt.  Then the league blocked the sale and relocation of the team to Hamilton, ON and bought the team themselves before reselling it to someone to keep it in Arizona.  The Coyotes have been kicked out of two arenas (Footprint & Gila River), and are now relegated to playing in a 5,000 seat University multi-purpose facility.  They tried to get taxpayer's to pay to build a new $2.1 Billion arena project that failed this month.  One of their owners was just arrested for felony strangulation/assault on his wife.  They are perennial bottom 3 in attendance every year.  Have missed the playoffs in 10 of the last 11 years.  NHL wants them to stay in Phoenix Metro just because its top 10 population in the US.  If the majority owner doesn't sell, they likely relocate to Houston or Salt Lake City.  If he does sell, then depends on who buys it.  

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

I hadn't thought about the renovation plans for FEF could be done in mind for having a potential hockey franchise.  I think it would require having someone like Pera or Smith with close ties to Memphis and believes in Memphis, to buy a franchise like the Coyotes, and move them to Memphis.  I find it very unlikely an outside ownership group would have Memphis at the top of their list unless someone did some very good convincing.  At the very least, I hoped for renovation of MSC for plans of getting minor league hockey and WNBA.  There are other options for a soccer stadium than tearing down MSC.  

FedExForum was not built to accommodate a hockey team, let alone NHL, and no amount of renovations is going to make it suitable for such a franchise. Period. There's a reason why the Islanders moved out of Barclays Center in Brooklyn to an arena of their own in nearby Belmont, and why the Florida Panthers don't share an arena with the Miami Heat. Those venues were built and designed specifically for basketball usage. Not so much for hockey, as the sight lines would be absolute hell for spectators on one side of the arena that wouldn't be able to see the entire ice rink for games. Those are simple facts.

We would have a much better chance at getting an AHL or ECHL team to play at Landers Center or in a renovated Coliseum than have one play at the Forum. It's not gonna happen.

11 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

The unwavering support by the NHL for the Coyotes in Arizona is kinda sad.  They went bankrupt.  Then the league blocked the sale and relocation of the team to Hamilton, ON and bought the team themselves before reselling it to someone to keep it in Arizona.  The Coyotes have been kicked out of two arenas (Footprint & Gila River), and are now relegated to playing in a 5,000 seat University multi-purpose facility.  They tried to get taxpayer's to pay to build a new $2.1 Billion arena project that failed this month.  One of their owners was just arrested for felony strangulation/assault on his wife.  They are perennial bottom 3 in attendance every year.  Have missed the playoffs in 10 of the last 11 years.  NHL wants them to stay in Phoenix Metro just because its top 10 population in the US.  If the majority owner doesn't sell, they likely relocate to Houston or Salt Lake City.  If he does sell, then depends on who buys it. 

Gila River Arena in Glendale was built for reasons I just mentioned with the Islanders. Footprint Center (originally America West Arena) was not a good place for hockey to be played, and the Coyotes wanted a venue of their own. Moving the team back there was never an option.

I do agree that the franchise itself has been poorly managed, which is why they got evicted from Gila River in the first place.

Edited by James Owen

5 hours ago, James Owen said:

FedExForum was not built to accommodate a hockey team, let alone NHL, and no amount of renovations is going to make it suitable for such a franchise. Period. There's a reason why the Islanders moved out of Barclays Center in Brooklyn to an arena of their own in nearby Belmont, and why the Florida Panthers don't share an arena with the Miami Heat. Those venues were built and designed specifically for basketball usage. Not so much for hockey, as the sight lines would be absolute hell for spectators on one side of the arena that wouldn't be able to see the entire ice rink for games. Those are simple facts.

We would have a much better chance at getting an AHL or ECHL team to play at Landers Center or in a renovated Coliseum than have one play at the Forum. It's not gonna happen.

Gila River Arena in Glendale was built for reasons I just mentioned with the Islanders. Footprint Center (originally America West Arena) was not a good place for hockey to be played, and the Coyotes wanted a venue of their own. Moving the team back there was never an option.

I do agree that the franchise itself has been poorly managed, which is why they got evicted from Gila River in the first place.

Just FYI for the comments about FedEx Forum not being built for hockey.

1) It was initially built from day one with the ability to host ice hockey.

2) With 300-400 million dollar renovations on tap u can certainly address the sight line issues if there are prohibitive to hockey.

3) The arena has hosted NHL once and there are no reports I’ve seen that state the sight lines were horrible for hockey.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedExForum