• Jordan-Hare Stadium(Auburn)
    • Neyland Stadium(Tennessee)
    • Razorback Stadium(Arkansas)
    • Sanford Stadium(Georgia)
    • Scott Field(Mississippi State)
    • Vanderbilt Stadium(Vanderbilt)
    • Vaught-Hemmingway(Ole Miss)
    • Williams-Brice(South Carolina)

Tiger Stadium's renovations to replace the west side upper deck built in 1979 are almost complete. It will add about 3,000 seats and bring the cpacity up to around 95,000 so tiger stadium will surpass sanford stadium in capacity. There is also talk for a renovation to be done between 2010-2020 that would connect the upper decks to make a horseshoe that would bring the capacity up to 115,000, making it the biggest in the NCAA.

isnt there a renovation going on for bryant denny stadium as well?

• 4 months later...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"isnt there a renovation going on for bryant denny stadium as well?"

Yes, there is ! The North End expansion is progressing nicely & will be ready in time for the 2006 season:

http://www.rolltide.com/images/20395.jpg

There will be a pedestrian plaza area between this expansion and University Blvd ( replacing the DKE fraternity house ), but I don't know the timetable on that.

There are preliminary talks about the south end zone, though that will be a few years happening.

Anyway, to the question, I haven't been to enough SEC stadiums recently to make an informed opinion, though I have heard friends who are into football more say great things about Arkansas' (specifically, that it makes places like Neyland and Jordan-Hare seem rather junky and overrated by comparison, even though they're much larger - though they might be just a little bitty bit biased :) .

As ExpatBaman mentioned, one of the greatest arguments in favor of Bryant-Denny is that it's adjacent to Sorority Row.

Neyland Stadium is huge, intimidating, and loud. As far as stadiums go, Neyland is usually either at the top or close to it whenever stadiums are ranked. As far as someone making the "cheap" comment, that's probably because since there was no room to build out (land and building restrictions) they had to build the structure straight up. Also along those lines, Neyland Stadium is planning a massive renovation that will make both the inside and outside better looking and all around nicer.

http://www.phillipfulmer.com/neyland/neyland-front.html

You can look at the renderings of how the stadium will look after the $107 million renovation.

Question for y'all:

How do you pronounce Neyland Stadium?

Neeland as in knee

or Neighland as in neigh

It varies a bit here, but East Tennesseans seem to use Neighland alot.

Nashvol, It is Neeland. That was a question years ago to General Bob Neyland's widow, and that is how she pronounced it.

• 2 weeks later...

Bryant-Denny, of course... the home of more SEC championship teams than any other stadium. It's on campus within walking distance of everything, and more importantly, adjacent to sorority row. Roll Tide.

Bryant-Denny's really been behind the curve of SEC stadia but that current renovation may make it the nicest one in the conference. I went there and was underwhelmed but from everything I've seen the redo should put it ahead of pretty much all the others.

Thanks to the Waltons and Tysons all of Arkansas' facilities have been redone over the last decade and are as nice as any in the country. The football stadium is really first class - it has the largest television screen in the world and more skyboxes than any stadium, pro or college. However, the 72k capacity is still on the lower end of the SEC.

Tiger Stadium and Neyland are terrific old stadia but really need redos, especially the latter. I'd seen where it was going to be difficult to modernize Neyland and it would essentially have to be rebuilt and the cost of that project is considered prohibitive right now. UT's still looking into it and it will have to happen at some point.

My vote is for Sanford Stadium at UGa right now though I bet I might change that to Bryant-Denny when it's redone.

Tiger Stadium and Neyland are terrific old stadia but really need redos, especially the latter. I'd seen where it was going to be difficult to modernize Neyland and it would essentially have to be rebuilt and the cost of that project is considered prohibitive right now. UT's still looking into it and it will have to happen at some point.

Check my link to the new Neyland renovation plan. It's going to be pretty nice when it is done.

I wonder if there could be some sample bias in this poll? Williams-Brice is #2 in the SEC? USC's stadium is a good place to watch a game (have seen several games there) but the location leaves a lot to be desired as far as far as college atmosphere is concerned. The best stadia should actually be nestled on the university campus (exs. Bryant-Denny and Sanford, esp the latter) but not towering over the rest of the buildings (ex. Auburn). UT is certainly big, but the girder structure is not terribly attractive. UF's stadium is a bit garish with all the blue and orange-more a pro stadium vibe.

• 2 weeks later...

How in the hell is Williams-Brice doing so well?

Go to a sports forum and do this same poll, and I bet Williams-Brice will finish about 5th-6th at best.

I'll go start a poll tomorrow on one of my sports forums and I'll post the results in a couple of days.

How in the hell is Williams-Brice doing so well?

Go to a sports forum and do this same poll, and I bet Williams-Brice will finish about 5th-6th at best.

I'll go start a poll tomorrow on one of my sports forums and I'll post the results in a couple of days.

Its only the home Fighting Gamecocks. At this wonderful stadium you can partake in some great tailgating with some of the best fans out there. Win or lose, we always come back for more Gamecock football. Plus the stadium itself has one of the more unique designs out there, and it offers a great view of the city. Whats not to love!? :shades:

I'll agree that WB is a nice design to look at, but everyone voting for it is dillusional about the location and atmosphere there. It is very dirty, plain, and little or no trees are to be found in such rediculously stagnent air. <_<

News Alert!

Soup companies around the World are eager to give large sums of money to the University of South Carolina for it's well-kept secret. It seems the Gamecocks have found a way to make chicken fall apart in a bowl every time. :lol:

Actually, I've been to a few games there (a few games too many)! :huh: I was going to include something else in the above post, but cut it for sportsmanship's sake. I think the Gamecocks should improve drastically over the next few years, but don't think for a minute I'm going to become a fan. :P

I too had trouble with my decision, I'm an Alabama fan but I could not vote for Bryant-Denny Stadium. If you vote by size, of course you would have to vote Neyland. Neyland is only that, big and loud. If you go with atmosphere then I would have to go with my beloved Tide and Bryant-Denny Stadium. The filling you get at Bryant-Denny is like going to the White House, you fill its prestigious past history, you fill like you

If you vote by size, of course you would have to vote Neyland. Neyland is only that, big and loud.

i have to disagree that it is only big and loud. it is consistantly ranked number one in the country as having the best tailgating and football atmosphere by espn. it also helps that i am a tennessee fan. haha. but then again, after a season like we had this year, i'm sure any stadium had a better atmosphere than neyland. and yes, even vanderbilt. haha.

Archived