Tradition Tower

downtowninvestor

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just from a superficial perspective (and my opinion), it just looks like a more expensive product. It's my favorite architecturally. I think all the highrises proposed look pretty decent. But I think TT is spectacular.

In fact, I still think it's almost unbelievable to envision something like it going up in O-town.

You see stunning, I see gaudy. That first rendering of TT made my eyes hurt. It's Spanish! It's Old Florida! It's got Palm Trees growing on top of the connecting bridge! Ugh.

The last rendering was better...the slight color change made TT appear to look more in keeping with the Orange County Courthouse.

I would love to see the latest rendering with more details.

Of course, if they actually build this thing, you won't hear me complaining. At least not too much.

So you prefer that it be basically white ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The color scheme doesn't bother me nearly as much as the particular style of this building. I don't care for TT or Ridgley Manor, as they're modern designs, coated with a thin veneer of older, historical styles. I think that's a hard look to pull off, and neither of these buildings do, IMO. Plus, I think 20 years from now, TT will look hopelessly out of date.

But that's my personal taste, nothing more.

On the flip side, I think it's exciting that Orlando is getting several different styles of buildings. That way we can each find something we like.

I absolutely love TT and Ridgley...but not sure which one i like better. TT has a better location and will be a few dollars cheaper but Ridgely will be taller and have that neo 30's NYC look which i like. Ridgley is also more pompous and arrogant with the way they came out of the gate and still maintain stealthness to the plan. Tradition Towers will make Central Blvd and Rosalind for that matter look awesome. I mean anything is better than a surface lot and an old ugly greenish/grey 3 story club for hoytie toytie elitists. :w00t:

The only really worthwhile building that has gone up downtown in the past 15 years is the courthouse. If that were to be established as a stylistic vocabulary (just as the City Hall beveled corners have been for the cluster along 'lower Orange'), Rosalind could be a nice street. Two towers bridged at the midsection is a little chintzy to begin with, and even the amended design (closer to all-white than that previous pastel carnival) is too golf-resort to be taken seriously as a commanding urban building.

Unfortunately, the courthouse interacts horribly with the street. The courtyard facing Orange could do as an ersatz civic plaza, but the Magnolia and Amelia walls are just awful. Amelia is a sadly wasted street between the Interstate and Magnolia-- even if Pizzuti and any future redevelopment of the Sentinel surface lot engage it well, it will never really work as a vibrant space because of all the other assualts it's had to take. I live a few blocks further east on Amelia and wish it didn't have to lose its soul once it reaches Magnolia.

I think this is another problem with Tradition and everything else-- nothing seems to have ground-floor street-engaging uses all the way around: there's at least one dead wall on each of these projects. So our 'city,' viz. civitas, isn't improving at all: we're just getting more leasable space.

The only really worthwhile building that has gone up downtown in the past 15 years is the courthouse.  If that were to be established as a stylistic vocabulary (just as the City Hall beveled corners have been for the cluster along 'lower Orange'), Rosalind could be a nice street.  Two towers bridged at the midsection is a little chintzy to begin with, and even the amended design (closer to all-white than that previous pastel carnival) is too golf-resort to be taken seriously as a commanding urban building.

Unfortunately, the courthouse interacts horribly with the street.  The courtyard facing Orange could do as an ersatz civic plaza, but the Magnolia and Amelia walls are just awful.  Amelia is a sadly wasted street between the Interstate and Magnolia-- even if Pizzuti and any future redevelopment of the Sentinel surface lot engage it well, it will never really work as a vibrant space because of all the other assualts it's had to take.  I live a few blocks further east on Amelia and wish it didn't have to lose its soul once it reaches Magnolia.

I think this is another problem with Tradition and everything else-- nothing seems to have ground-floor street-engaging uses all the way around: there's at least one dead wall on each of these projects.  So our 'city,' viz. civitas, isn't improving at all: we're just getting more leasable space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, well. I guess many of the great unwashed like myself rather fancy our 410 ft. golf resorts.

FORE !!!

I fancy the buildings but agree they all aren't perfect.

55W interfaces great with Chuch but Pine is screwed.

PremiereTrade Plaza has a great Orange avenue face but Pine is walled off and so is Church.

It looks like Paramount will however engage Central and Pine. With resendents entering on Pine and grocery shoppers on Central.

Sanctuary, Jackson, and the two 205 S Eolas don't show a lot of street interface, and it's a crime to not expand on the street life started along Central in that area.

Ridgley claims to have a lot of interface but can't really tell from the renderings.

The Vue does nothing at ground level that I can tell.

Can you (or somebody else) put that rendering online?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried to scan it but it does not turn out good. It looks the same as the old rendering but is in black and white and blown up. No real changes.

Can anyone please post the older and newer colors of the TT? I've only seen the pictures on orlandoskyscrapers.com but none of the new touchups you guys are talking about.

I hope the design doesn't change much accept for getting taller :D

Sometimes the spanish roman style is good for a modern city. It gives a city variety and adds a sense of history to a city, even it its only skin deep. Just look at NYC. Except that is the real thing. History at its finest.

Can anyone please post the older and newer colors of the TT? I've only seen the pictures on orlandoskyscrapers.com but none of the new touchups you guys are talking about.

I hope the design doesn't change much accept for getting taller  :D

Sometimes the spanish roman style is good for a modern city. It gives a city variety and adds a sense of history to a city, even it its only skin deep. Just look at NYC. Except that is the real thing. History at its finest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There the 4 images at the bottom of the Orlanodskyscrapers website page for Tradition Towers.

Archived