Another new highrise announced in Columbia

waccamatt

I just saw where another new condo development has been announced to be built across the street from Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia. The 10-story building looks pretty cool and the parking section will have an eighth floor rooftop entertainment and parking area.

walk_main.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool.

I know it's a few years into the future, but it would be cool to see urban infill between the Strom Thurmond Wellness Center area (Assembly/Blossom intersection) and the state fairgrounds/stadium area. The redevelopment of the Hardees block as part of the research campus and the renovation of Olympia mill (if I'm not mistaken it's Olympia) a little further down the street shows that this will eventually happen, IMO.

It's coming! I talked with Mike Dawson at the River Alliance recently and he had some really exciting things to say about that area. The railroad will be rerouted soon and that'll further open things up for redevelopment. There's plenty of space around Cap. City Stadium to redevelop -- that will eventually happen. And lots of exciting stuff is going on in that stretch of Olympia just south of Assembly between the Greek Village and Cap City Stadium... various apartments and townhomes/condos being talked about for that area. And that's where my wife and I may build our house! :) Also, the Mill Village River Link will officially open soon along Lincoln St -- call boxes and lights to be installed. And the Rocky Branch portion of the greenway will run through that area (and all the way up to 5 Pts.) once the funds are approved.

I just saw where another new condo development has been announced to be built across the street from Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia. The 10-story building looks pretty cool and the parking section will have an eighth floor rooftop entertainment and parking area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to get back on topic... this is *sweet*. I like the way it looks!

It is nice to see that area around Williams Brice and the Fairgrounds is becoming much more densely utilized. It does seem that all of these new condo projects in that area are either going to be used by students or as corporate entertainment spots, don't really see to many working folks buyings these places as homes. And the Olympia Mills places seem more like student housing also.

It would be nice to hear about some new highrise residential that really targeted the professional class as buyers. Any more details on the new building on South Main yet?

There is alot of greatly under-used space between the stadium and downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I wish it was closer towards downtown and the university. I think this continues to be Columbia's problem. Its redevelopment projects are too spread out. Greenville's effort is much more focused on a smaller area around downtown and the west end. What if Columbia could roll the developments by the statium, the Bull Street property, CCI, the Vista projects, the Main Street projects, etc. where in a smaller area. It would create a great urban space.

With the stadium and now 2 mid/highrise developments around it, maybe that area will transform into a highrise residential oasis with a mini skyline. The area around the stadium has been mostly old warehouses for a long time, but with these 3 condo developments, the movement of the farmer's market and redevelopment as a sports complex, etc., maybe the southside of Columbia with the Olympia developments will become a hot spot. There is so much development going on right now I can barely keep up with it. The First Citizens Building is starting to get its cladding now and the Hilton and USC Research Campus construction should be starting very soon.

• 5 months later...

Archived