PROPOSED: Richmond Square mixed-use

If you know where Eastside Market is -sort of south of Wayland Square - you would just keep going East on Pitman past the Salvation Army to get to Richmond Square.

Or head east on Waterman and miss the curve onto the Henderson Bridge, which is how I first found Richmond Square and got lost in the weird parkland along the river.

Richmond Square is so weird. It used to be a joke at the last place I worked, someone had an appointment at a place that had an address of ## Richmond Square, and she had no idea where Richmond Square was (and you can't look it up as an address on MapQuest). So she was asking everyone where Richmond Square was. And she was a Providence native, and other Prov/RI natives didn't know where it was. So later the joke became, if you couldn't find something, it must be in Richmond Square.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could be completely wrong but I seem to remember that the "historic gatehouse" is slightly up river a few hundred yards and off screen in those pictures. The Gatehouse restaurant just looks at the gatehouse.

Nope, it's in the photos. In the top photo, the Gatehouse is the smaller building attached to the pink building on the river...

If you know where Eastside Market is -sort of south of Wayland Square - you would just keep going East on Pitman past the Salvation Army to get to Richmond Square.

Similarly, you can just travel East on Waterman as well. Waterman and Pitman join at Richmond Square...

- Garris

To answer the question, the only building that would go is the small building that is on the same parking lot as the pink building, but is separate. The best view of it is in the third picture. It is just below and to the right of the pink building.

My wife worked in the biggest bulding with the gold topped tower back in 2000. We lived in Quincy, MA then and I came along with her on the interview. Devil of a time finding the place, but we did. While she was interviewing, i got out and walked around and remember feeling that this place was a twilight zone. Albeit one with some really cool buildings.

I have no problem with developing there, but it needs to fit well. The designs I have seen do not fit well at all. The area deserves a lot better.

And why do people waste time being upset at height and not the design? Possible because it is such an easy target. It takes more thought to understand nuances and textures and how they will play out over the long term. Height is immediate and can be envisioned a lot easier by most.

• 4 weeks later...

the small historic building that will be razed for this project is the one that currently houses "Simple Pleasures."

and folks get uptight about height, i suspect, because that's where you can hang your legal hat. There are very few design standards you can take to court, but getting a height or dimensional variance means that abutters have a leg to stand on if they want to appeal the zoning decision.

the small historic building that will be razed for this project is the one that currently houses "Simple Pleasures."

and folks get uptight about height, i suspect, because that's where you can hang your legal hat. There are very few design standards you can take to court, but getting a height or dimensional variance means that abutters have a leg to stand on if they want to appeal the zoning decision.

glad to hear someone put it that way

about the zoning variances, exactly what it is

Archived