Greenville Convention Center?

Exile

I haven't seen any talk about the proposed convention center. At one point, there was talk about it going up somewhere off of Verdae. I hope that idea has been killed. That would be a big mistake.

Textile Hall--how's it doing these days?--is just in a bad location.

IMO, a reasonably sized convention center (maybe one that could accommodate up to a couple thousand conventioneers) along with a hotel near the west end would be mahvelous. I know that would probably spell doom for Textile Hall, but think about it. Here in Bham, I have heard on more than one occasion people comment on Greenville's downtown and how appealing it is. I can't imagine it would be too difficult to drum up small to medium-sized convention business with all Gville's downtown has going for it. There are already, what, 600 or 700 first-class hotel rooms downtown or under construction/renovation (Hyatt, Poinsett, Hampton at Riverplace)? Seems to me the groundwork for such a venture is already laid.

Is there ANY talk along these lines?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be confused, but I am pretty sure Textile Hall was torn down years ago.

The only talk of a convention center I have heard recently involves the one on Pleasantburg Rd. I forget which but either the City of Greenville or the County bought it and it is going through renovations and additions in the very near future.

I may be confused, but I am pretty sure Textile Hall was torn down years ago.

The only talk of a convention center I have heard recently involves the one on Pleasantburg Rd.  I forget which but either the City of Greenville or the County bought it and it is going through renovations and additions in the very near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I mean "Palmetto Exposition Center." Years ago that building was unofficially called "Textile Hall" by a lot of people, but maybe that isn't the case any more. Apologies for the confusion.

The City bought the Palmetto Expo Center a couple of years back and is planning to renovate/reconfigure it. It is a very large center for the areas population, but is outdated in many ways.

A renovated and expanded Expo Center is one of the "anchors" of the Pleasantburg Drive redevelopment project.

As for the County, they have thus far not lifted a finger to help with the project, even though they would directly benefit from it. With some of the new council members being elected, there was some talk of the county assisting, but it's only talk so far.

The City bought the Palmetto Expo Center a couple of years back and is planning to renovate/reconfigure it.  It is a very large center for the areas population, but is outdated in many ways. 

A renovated and expanded Expo Center is one of the "anchors" of the Pleasantburg Drive redevelopment project.

As for the County, they have thus far not lifted a finger to help with the project, even though they would directly benefit from it.  With some of the new council members being elected, there was some talk of the county assisting, but it's only talk so far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IMO, that is a flaw in an otherwise admirable effort to "design" a better Greenville.

I've been to many conventions, and without exception I've found (not just by personal opinion, but by talking to others and reading reviews) that the best ones are in locations that require little or no motorized transport once you've checked into your hotel, but do not confine you to just a few options when you aren't in a meeting. That seems to be one reason why Atl is so popular as a convention destination.

There seems to me to be little chance that Palmetto Expo Ctr can ever be brought up to that standard, unless some genius comes up with a way to make that section of 291 pedestrian friendly along with a sufficient number of walking-distance hotel (not motel) rooms and attractions for off-hours. As it is, the Expo Ctr will probably have to make do with boat shows and the like--which are valuable. But it will probably never be a serious contender for sizable professional meetings.

But even assuming 291--i.e., Pleasantburg Dr.--could be so transformed, it would take years and still might never happen. It's already happened downtown. The foundation is in place.

Check out this link,

Pleasantburg Drive

take time to read throught the mastrplan and market study.

Your ideas are what Greenville wants to do there, they want more hotels near by, they want Pleasantburg Dr. to become pedestrian friendly, add sidewalks bring buildings to the street, etc. Create a downtown atmosphere. Yes it will take a while, but it can happen.

Check out this link,

Pleasantburg Drive

take time to read throught the mastrplan and market study.

Your ideas are what Greenville wants to do there, they want more hotels near by, they want Pleasantburg Dr. to become pedestrian friendly, add sidewalks bring buildings to the street, etc.  Create a downtown atmosphere.  Yes it will take a while, but it can happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Brad. If any city knows how to make it happen, it is Greenville. It will be quite a financial burden without help from the county though. The County Council needs to step up on this.

I don't think there is any doubt that had the Expo Center not already been in place, the city would have built a new convention center downtown. However, an existing facility at a bargain price was too much to pass up.

Also, in order for Pleasantburg to be revived, it needs a purpose and some strong anchors. A convention center provides that.

You guys remember that it was shortly after buying the Palmetto Expo Center that the City of Greenville was faced with a shortage of funds to build/renovate a baseball stadium for the Greenville Braves? I certainly hope that price wasn't paid for mediocrity in the long run, because it has hurt part of the community deeply. I think they will strive for something of higher quality someday. Hope renovation begins soon. :)

I remember seeing a design for improving Palmetto Expo a few years ago. Plans were to unify all three exhibit halls into one space, create a new main entrance from North Pleasantburg, expand the building towards Lowdes Hill Road, and build a new midrise hotel.

Some roads nearby could use some improvement. It's being discussed that Lowdes Hill/Woods Lake Road will be widened to four lanes in a few years to accompany a new four lane connector road from West Washington @ Laurens to North Pleasantburg. (Woods Crossing/Congaree Road is also under consideration for widening to four lanes.)

I think that a convention center downtown in the West End would be optimal, with hotels and restaurants nearby. Like it or not, it seems that the Palmetto Expo Center is going to be the long-term solution. I haven't looked at the master plan yet, but the idea of it being the kind of anchor we need to revitalize Pleastanburg is encouraging.

Yeah, it would be more fun to build an awesome one downtown by 2007 and add a few hotels too, but long-term it seems that the Pleasantburg idea can be quite valuable. That area is definitely in dire need of improvement, and with the master plan being put in place I think Pleasantburg will be a very popular area eventually. Think about its prime location between Haywood and downtown. If we ever get mass transit in the form of high-speed or light rail, we can certainly have a Convention Center stop and that will surely cause the area to grow up and improve even more. Hotels, shopping, and restaurants are badly needed there, and that would certainly help.

Archived