Georgia Population Figures

teshadoh

As provided by Census Bureau, 2004 estimates for cities.

Top Ten

1 Atlanta city 419,122

2 Augusta-Richmond County 191,326

3 Columbus city 182,850

4 Savannah city 129,808

5 Athens-Clarke County 102,744

6 Macon city 94,990

7 Roswell city 85,044

8 Albany city 76,253

9 Marietta city 60,547

10 Warner Robins city 56,305

Of noteworthiness - 5 cities over 100k, 10 over 50k, & 23 over 25k.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really hope the census is off on the Augusta estimate... It just keeps spiraling downward at what seems to be an increasing rate... There's no reason that with as large as Augusta's city limits are (and the amount of new sprawl development in the county) that the city should still be losing population. Damn you Columbia county...

It is sad that Richmond County is slowly losing population. I would imagine it will continue to until Columbia County becomes so congested it chokes on its own growth. Most of the sprawl growth in Richmond County is in shopping centers/suburban offices and not much housing. All new new mega-subdivisions are out in Evans or Grovetown.

Well, do keep in mind that according to these census figures, Hephzibah city and Blythe City are not included in that Augusta-Richmond county figure. They are listed seperate, but this still is a surprising rate of decline for this population, but unfortunately more than likely. :(

And You said it TopHer1 ( :angry: at Columbia County)

Sandy Springs now makes it into the top ten cities, apparently as number 7 or number 8 since it has around the same population as Roswell. That means that three of the top ten will be Atlanta suburbs.

I find it very interesting that Augusta-Richmond is loosing people. It seems that most urban counties would be growing at least a little bit (in the sunbelt at least). Is there a negative image or something with the consolidated government that has developers building only in the suburban counties? In addition to Columbia County, I know Aiken County across the river in SC is growing a good rate. At any rate, it is better to have a city of 191,000 loosing people that city of 40,000 or so loosing people (ie, the pre-consolidation situation).

Savannah also continues to loose population and really should push consolidation with Chatham County.

It's just flight to the suburbs in Augusta. Aiken Co. is a culprit, but its only growing at an modest rate... It's only added about 6500 people since Census 2000.

The real culprit is Columbia Co., GA, which is growing like an Atlanta suburb. It's population has increased from 89,000 to nearly 101,000 since 2000. The population of Columbia Co. was only 66,000 in 1990.

As far as Augusta, it is led by the most incompetent group of politicians that I've seen. It seems there's a new major impropriety investigation almost every week, and the citizens don't have faith in the govt (a few weeks ago, a new Civic Center, Performing Arts Center, and 20 story judicial center were voted down by the voters, largely due to their distrust in the govt). For a real circus, just check out the online Augusta Chronicle every now and then. It's a real embarrassment.

A lot of the older parts of the city are almost unreclaimable. It will take a major boom and significant reinvestment to make some inner parts of Richmond Co. desirable. There are some huge areas of true poverty (looks like black-belt Mississippi) just a mile or so from downtown. Parts of the county are still nice, but I do think that the tax rates are significantly lower in the suburban counties as well, which helps to fuel the exodus.

Fortunately, people are realizing that they can get the same house in South Augusta for about half the price they'd pay in Columbia Co., and people are finally coming back. It's still sprawl, but at least its starting to balance out a bit.

• 2 months later...

Acording to the county census, it says that Fulton County has lost population. I thought more people were moving into the inner city. What gives??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apparently more people are moving into Atlanta, but even more are moving out of Fulton in general.

Columbus's figures seem to be off too. Columbus is consolidated with its county many years ago. The population of Columbus-Muscogee County was 185,702 in 2003. That has to be up because the city has been exploding with residential development. Plus, Fort Benning is expanding which is said to bring an additional 28,000 new residents to Columbus. These are high paying jobs as well. Columbus has also had a lot of suburban flight to Harris County and Lee County, Ala. It is good in a way because Lee County (Auburn/Opelika) will one day be apart of Columbus's metro population. That would add an additional 130,000+ to Columbus's metro area. Looks like Columbus will regain its position as #2 again in the state very soon. Watch out Augusta, here we come!

Columbus city may overtake Augusta city one day, but it would take a long time before the metro area ever caught up. In 2000, Augusta metro had 477,000. 2004 estimates are around 515,000. For Columbus in 2000 it was 274,000 for metro. Probably at about 300,000 now. Add in Auburn/Opelika and Lee county (which probably should be added to the metro but who knows if it will be) and the population of Columbus is still only about 428,000. Add another 28,000 people(that are supposedly moving to Columbus) and you have 60,000 people LESS than the Aug. metro. And you have to remember Augusta is a fastly growing metro. Columbia and Aiken counties are booming and from what ive heard even Fort Gordon will be adding soldiers....not as many as Ft. Benning, but it will be growing.

Columbus city may overtake Augusta city one day, but it would take a long time before the metro area ever caught up.  In 2000,  Augusta metro had 477,000.  2004 estimates are around 515,000.  For Columbus in 2000 it was 274,000 for metro.  Probably at about 300,000 now.  Add in Auburn/Opelika and Lee county (which probably should be added to the metro but who knows if it will be) and the population of Columbus is still only about 428,000.  Add another 28,000 people(that are supposedly moving to Columbus) and you have 60,000 people LESS than the Aug. metro.  And you have to remember Augusta is a fastly growing metro.  Columbia and Aiken counties are booming and from what ive heard even Fort Gordon will be adding soldiers....not as many as Ft. Benning, but it will be growing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What counties are included in Augusta's metro area? Do you have the population break down too?

ATLman, this is off-hand. Not 100 percent sure but I know Im close.

Richmond County- 191,000

Aiken County- 145,000

Columbia County-100,000

These are the urban/suburban counties in metro Augusta.

McDuffie co. Ga. and Edgefield co. SC are also in the MSA but have low populations (less than 30,000) and are mostly rural in character.

Richmond county has the city of Augusta and is mostly urban, with some suburban areas to the South (blue collar) and West (white collar). Extreme south Richmond co. is still rural in nature. Ft. Gordon is in south-western Richmond co.

Aiken county is a middle class area, about half urban/suburban, half rural. The southern and western portions (North Augusta, Belvedere, Aiken, Midland Valley) are the most populated parts. Both North Augusta and Aiken have near or above 20,000 people and have nice, charming Downtown areas. North Augusta and Aiken also have lots of suburbs, (both white and blue collar.)

Columbia County is the affluent, suburban county of Augusta. Most of the population lies in Martinez, Evans and growing Grovetown areas. A really booming county with some huge commerical areas underconstruction and planned now.

Hope that helps..;)

^ Add another rural county, Burke Co., GA to Augusta's metro.  Burke was added in the 2003 census dept. MSA definitions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, some sources have different figures on AUG's estimated pop for post-2000. I've seen some sources at 201,000 (2002 est., Microsoft Mappoint) for Richmond county with a very LOW growth rate, while I've seen some with negative declining percentage possibly down to 190,000 by 2010, likely because of the outward county sprawl, but it's really hard to say at this point whether the city is definitely growing or losing people.

It's also predicted off of Columbia County's website under the "Arena Fasibility Study" that the AUG MSA could be well over 650,000 by 2025

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, It should reach 10 million within the next 5 years I would say. NW GA is actually the fastest growing area of the state (outside of Metro ATL). It is predicted to double in size over the next couple decades, add in the growth from both Columbus, Macon, and Augusta, as well as Metro Atlanta, and you should see another million people. Just conjecture, but still a possibility I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Just outta curiosity, where did your census estimate figures come from? The Wikipedia site on Marietta, for example, lists Marietta at about 61,200, while your figures say 60,500. It shows Atlanta to be 423,000, while yours say 419,000. They both claim 2004 figures. I wonder why there is such disparity in the numbers floating around?

• 4 months later...

Archived