Georgia Population Figures

teshadoh

Unlike Aiken, Edgefield actually vastly exceeds minimum commuting requirements, with 44% of its workforce commuting into the core metro counties. Since Aiken Co receives the largest number of Edgefield commuters, if Aiken hypothetically split, Edgefield would probably go with it.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It may interest you to know that the MSA statistics are not entirely created from objective population and commuter data. Sometimes politics comes into play, and counties will be joined together even if they aren't "technically" supposed to be. The best example that I know of is the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson CSA. Originally Spartanburg split from Greenville and Anderson after the last Census to form its own separate CSA with Cherokee and Union Counties- but the politics and economics of the Upstate are otherwise joined at the hip, even if commuting data don't support it. So the CSA statistic was changed to reflect that, and its now one big happy CSA again.

My guess is that Aiken County would act in much the same way, particularly since so many commuters probably live in the western portion and commute accross the river. I wouldn't be suprised if Edgefield was pulled into the mix as well.

the distiction -- again -- is MSA vs. CSA.

G'ville and S'burg are considered separate MSA's but together (with Anderson and some other cenus tracts) they form a CSA.

Since they are so connected, it is hard to believe that they should not form a single CSA notwithstanding their separate MSA status. Likewise with Augusta/Aiken. If -- HYPOTHETICALLY -- Aiken formed its own MSA, then everybody KNOWS that they would certainly form a single CSA -- like G'ville and S'burg.

If -- HYPOTHETICALLY -- Aiken ever did satisfy the criteria for a new SMA, I am not sure whether SC would block it (assuming that it could). I thik that SMA status confers certain financial consideration on an area. It is, after all, a statistic of the OMB (Office of Manangement and Budget). If Aiken met the criteria but declined the "honor," I suspect that that would have adverse financial/budget consequences. Does not matter financially whether G'ville MSA and S'burg MSA form a single CSA. It is their separate MSA status that is important budget-wise.

the distiction -- again -- is MSA vs. CSA.

G'ville and S'burg are considered separate MSA's but together (with Anderson and some other cenus tracts) they form a CSA.

Since they are so connected, it is hard to believe that they should not form a single CSA notwithstanding their separate MSA status. Likewise with Augusta/Aiken. If -- HYPOTHETICALLY -- Aiken formed its own MSA, then everybody KNOWS that they would certainly form a single CSA -- like G'ville and S'burg.

If -- HYPOTHETICALLY -- Aiken ever did satisfy the criteria for a new SMA, I am not sure whether SC would block it (assuming that it could). I thik that SMA status confers certain financial consideration on an area. It is, after all, a statistic of the OMB (Office of Manangement and Budget). If Aiken met the criteria but declined the "honor," I suspect that that would have adverse financial/budget consequences. Does not matter financially whether G'ville MSA and S'burg MSA form a single CSA. It is their separate MSA status that is important budget-wise.

The Census Bureau does occasionally defer to local opinion with metro areas. Several metros that were broken apart in 2003 have had some reuniting. The Tri- Cities of Tennessee were broken into three SMA's in 2003, Johnson City,TN; Kingsport-Bristol, TN and Bristol, VA. Kingsport-Bristol, TN and Bristol, VA were recombined. In the case of Greenville-Spartanburg, the Census Bureau did not even consider the two to be a CSA in 2003, instead having a Greenville-Anderson CSA and Spartanburg-Gaffney CSA only to recognize a CSA containing the Greenville and Spartanburg SMA's one year later.

The Augusta-Richmond SMA should be renamed Augusta-Richmond-Aiken to reflect the role of Aiken as a distinct node of the Augusta urbanized area. There is a great deal of non-commute ties that should be applied in determining an metropolitan relationship-newspaper circulation, television station viewership, retail draw, etc. The August River Site was responsible for much of Richmond Co and Aiken Co. growth in the postwar era and most residents consider themselves part of greater Augusta.

The Augusta-Richmond SMA should be renamed Augusta-Richmond-Aiken to reflect the role of Aiken as a distinct node of the Augusta urbanized area.

The designation indeed used to be the Augusta-Aiken GA, SC MSA--before Augusta and Richmond County consolidated. Then it became the Augusta-Richmond County MSA.

• 4 months later...

Augusta has lost over 1,000 residents per year for the last 7 years. Won't be long till Columbus regains its status os second largest city in Georgia.

I really hope the census is off on the Augusta estimate... It just keeps spiraling downward at what seems to be an increasing rate... There's no reason that with as large as Augusta's city limits are (and the amount of new sprawl development in the county) that the city should still be losing population. Damn you Columbia county...

Savannah also continues to loose population and really should push consolidation with Chatham County.

Not no, but hell no! Chatham County taxes are high enough as it is. No way they'd also want to pay Savannah city taxes!

Savannah's losing population for many of the same reasons as other cities (white flight, poor public schools, high taxes, etc.).

Like more professional corporate jobs(instead of factories, warehouses & etc.)also modernize develpments which draws in these people because alot of the newcomers are from faster cities like NY, FL cities and others, that why atlanta is always gaining pop., the 2nd tier cities need to catch up(speed up) and stop holding on to history and perservations so to where it's hender them from growth. because it causing them to lose out on so many opportunties...Like having height restriction(cancels High/Mid-rise developments), not wanting to cut down a 100 year old trees(cancels Residential/commerical growth) or demolishing century old un used,condemed building(less space for modernize structures) and etc. If they want growth they are going to have to accomidate....

History & preservation is one of the reasons people come to Savannah, fall in love with her & her "slow pace", and decide to move here. What you're saying is utter nonsense.

Augusta has lost over 1,000 residents per year for the last 7 years. Won't be long till Columbus regains its status os second largest city in Georgia.

Augusta gained in population last year. I already told you that on the other board. It would be nice if you are going to make comments that you use facts to back them up.

I thought this was a intresting piece of info. We always talk about how large GA cities are well i searched wikipiedia for the largest cities in the US and its pretty neat that out of nearly 18,000 incorporated places nationwide this is where our cities rank according to population. ACTUAL POPULATION NOT MSA or CSA:

Atlanta- 34th largest city in the United States Population-486,411

Augusta-116th largest city in the United States Population-189,366

Columbus-117th largest city in the United States Popluation-188,660

Savannah- 186th largest city in the United States Population-127,889

Athens- 218th largest city in the United States Population- 111,580

There list only goes for cities with over 100,000 residents so these are the only GA cities that qualify. There are 258 cities on that list. Out of 18,000 incorporated places our states cities do have some real population power nationally. Its hard to belive that our states top 3 cities are larger than places like Fort Lauderdale, FLA; Salt Lake City, Utah; Little Rock, Arkasnsas; Jackson, Mississippi; Syracuse, Ny; Our states top 4 cities are more populated than places like Green Bay Wisconsn; Topeka, Kansas, Columbia, SC; Its just wierd anyone who wants to view the complete list can go to wikipiedia and search United States most populated cities for the complete list.

The population figures are based on US Census estimates as of July 1, 2006

other notable population of GA Cities:

Albany- 76,939 (2000 census)

Macon- 97,606(2005 estimate)

Rome- 31,980 (2000 census)

Valdosta- 43,724 (2000 census)

Warner Robbins-48,804 (2000 census)

Trying to find richmond county population is very strange. I have seen it as low as 189,366 where you have it above and as high as 207,000. I don't know if some are adding hephzibah or blythe to augusta or not. I thought even though both hephzibah and blythe are in south richmond they are seperate.

Augusta 203,160

http://www.augustagausa.com/ourtown/population.shtml

Augusta, GA 199,501

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bp...hots/31528.html

The population of Augusta,GA 197,815

http://www.nextag.com/home-mortgage/2/GA/Augusta.html

This has richmond county population at 195,796

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_County,_Georgia

Here is a article that says richmond county and metro augusta population will double in the next 5 yrs. It also says augusta has over 7000 businesses which will also double in the next 5 yrs

http://www.augustabiz.com/info/about_augustabiz.htm

Augusta did gain in population last year. Disgusta, are you the same as Disgustasucks on Citydata or whatever that other forum is. If that is you PLEASE dont bring that garbage over onto this forum. I know there are boosters over here but Id rather see a booster than someone who CONSTANTLY trashes a city. Thats why I made it a point never to go back to that forum. Making a point about a certain aspect of a city is one thing....Ive done that before. However, when every post you make is taking a jab at a city it gets really old.

How is stating the population statistics of a city taking a jab at it? The fact is Augusta's population has declined since the 2000 census by about 6,000... that's simply a fact.. you may not like it but it's true. It is true that the decline as tapered off.. in the last year the pop did rise by about a couple a hundred.. but it will take a few years of data to spot a trend and if the decline is over. BUt if current trends continue, Columbus will likely overtake Augusta by the 2010 census as the second largest city in Georgia.

I have know idea what citydata forum is.. but this is a discussion forum where facts should be able to be discussed. You seem to want to just censor out what facts you don't like because the don't jibe with your overly optimistic POllyanna view of Augusta.

Augusta did gain in population last year. Disgusta, are you the same as Disgustasucks on Citydata or whatever that other forum is. If that is you PLEASE dont bring that garbage over onto this forum. I know there are boosters over here but Id rather see a booster than someone who CONSTANTLY trashes a city. Thats why I made it a point never to go back to that forum. Making a point about a certain aspect of a city is one thing....Ive done that before. However, when every post you make is taking a jab at a city it gets really old.

The most current census figures for Augusta has the population at 189,366.. as you can see that is very close to Columbus.. but if you look at the figures from the last several years Columbus has been gaining population and Augusta has been losing population..however Augusta did add a couple hundred ppl last year.. but Columbus is growing faster. If these rates continue Columbus will be the 2nd largest city by 2010.. but I mean really they are so close that it really will just be a bragging rights thing.

I thought this was a intresting piece of info. We always talk about how large GA cities are well i searched wikipiedia for the largest cities in the US and its pretty neat that out of nearly 18,000 incorporated places nationwide this is where our cities rank according to population. ACTUAL POPULATION NOT MSA or CSA:

There list only goes for cities with over 100,000 residents so these are the only GA cities that qualify. There are 258 cities on that list. Out of 18,000 incorporated places our states cities do have some real population power nationally. Its hard to belive that our states top 3 cities are larger than places like Fort Lauderdale, FLA; Salt Lake City, Utah; Little Rock, Arkasnsas; Jackson, Mississippi; Syracuse, Ny; Our states top 4 cities are more populated than places like Green Bay Wisconsn; Topeka, Kansas, Columbia, SC; Its just wierd anyone who wants to view the complete list can go to wikipiedia and search United States most populated cities for the complete list.

According to the census websites in 2003 Columbus lost over 3000 people...so really you can't predict whats going to happen. The bottom line is the metro population since that is what everyone goes by anyway...the msa or the csa are the main sources of population. But if it makes you feel better thinking about Augusta negatively, go right ahead.

Yeah it's interesting that our cities do have a lot of population...but most people only go by the metro statistics and that is why some of those smaller cities may be more well known...their metros are bigger. Atlanta is considered one of the ten biggest cities in the country...but I had no idea it was number 34 and I'm sure most people don't. This topic mostly started off talking about metros...but Disgusta had to bring up the actual city population to try to put Augusta down....for what I don't know. It's the same exact argument, verbatim he used on the city data board that socaguy mentioned. And he can deny all that he wants that he is the not the same person....but I was born 25 years ago, not yesterday.

I have know idea what citydata forum is.. but this is a discussion forum where facts should be able to be discussed. You seem to want to just censor out what facts you don't like because the don't jibe with your overly optimistic POllyanna view of Augusta.

I'm still laughing that this person said they don't know what citydata forum is. How funny is that, what a joke. Anything about aug on that site this person leaves the same negative, long, ramblings about nothing on that site like he has started to do on this one. Im not a member on citydata and i do remeber this same name. If you go to the georgia forum its the same name, and the same negative post. Atleast if you don't like a city be truthful about. Don't lie like a little kid and say you aren't the same person, and you have no idea what citydata forum is. Everybody knows you are the same person, why try to lie about something that is obvious. You must have lived in aug like 15 yrs ago or something and now stay in atlanta probably. Because all of your ramblings are about stuff that happen 10 yrs ago. When its something newer you give the same line about you follow aug chronicle and now you think you know what happen or is happening in augusta.. Either you got beat up in augusta or something, because you have left the exact same negative post about augusta on two sites.

Word of advice GA WITHOUT ATLANTA WOULD BE A MISSISSIPPI. PPL HAVE SEEN YOU LEAVE THAT ON CITYDATA. PPl have said that no it wouldn't be now on 2 sites. If you going to lie you should consider not to MAKE the same comments. It would be LESS obvious, just some advice.

Btw if you want to see what city is growing the fastest outside of atlanta. A good indicator is new transportation projects, they ususally mean a city is growing bc the city needs bigger interstates & highways for its population. Aug has one project that cost over 180 million dollars happening right now on I-20/520 . Does columbus, savannah, or macon have one transportation project that big or somewhere near.

I'm still laughing that this person said they don't know what citydata forum is. How funny is that, what a joke. Anything about aug on that site this person leaves the same negative, long, ramblings about nothing on that site like he has started to do on this one. Im not a member on citydata and i do remeber this same name. If you go to the georgia forum its the same name, and the same negative post. Atleast if you don't like a city be truthful about. Don't lie like a little kid and say you aren't the same person, and you have no idea what citydata forum is. Everybody knows you are the same person, why try to lie about something that is obvious. You must have lived in aug like 15 yrs ago or something and now stay in atlanta probably. Because all of your ramblings are about stuff that happen 10 yrs ago. When its something newer you give the same line about you follow aug chronicle and now you think you know what happen or is happening in augusta.. Either you got beat up in augusta or something, because you have left the exact same negative post about augusta on two sites.

Word of advice GA WITHOUT ATLANTA WOULD BE A MISSISSIPPI. PPL HAVE SEEN YOU LEAVE THAT ON CITYDATA. PPl have said that no it wouldn't be now on 2 sites. If you going to lie you should consider not to MAKE the same comments. It would be LESS obvious, just some advice.

Btw if you want to see what city is growing the fastest outside of atlanta. A good indicator is new transportation projects, they ususally mean a city is growing bc the city needs bigger interstates & highways for its population. Aug has one project that cost over 180 million dollars happening right now on I-20/520 . Does columbus, savannah, or macon have one transportation project that big or somewhere near.

Sure and Even Bigger.... Right Now the Spit of I-475/75 is being reconstructed larger, and DOT is about to reconstruct the I-16/75 Spaghetti junctions split in Macon, I-16 and parts of 75 Downtown will be 12-14 lanes wide.... It not a lie there is a topic on this forum called (The New I-75/I-16) and it also on city forum and DOT site..... That what going on to Augusta i-20/520 I know is a big thing for Augusta but it old to Macon, Macon has 3 of these junctions 1.) at 475/75 north, 2.) 475/75 south and 3.) 16/75 DT which they are all being reconstructed even larger....

I tell you guys before you criticize you need to research first... to be honest right now after all the development in Augustan Savannah and proposed in Columbus, it's nothing compared to development in Macon right now.... Macon has over 3-4 million sq ft retail development under construction in just north Macon and 2 million in south Macon near the 475/75 split area and that not including the highways and small commercial and residential developments in these areas and other parts of the city... Right now riverside Drive is also under construction it is being expanded to 4lanes wide all the way to Monroe county because of the area filling up with so much Commercial & residential development and has to be completed by march to support the traffic for the new open-air mall that opens in March 2008 and 3 other lifestyle centers all under constructions now in North Macon, Also in North Macon they are constructing Providence Town Center - 750,000 sq. ft. it like a smaller version of Atlanta’s Atlantic station with a town like concept which will include hotels and office complexes. I can go on but I’ll let you do the research.....

Sure and Even Bigger.... Right Now the Spit of I-475/75 is being reconstructed larger, and DOT is about to reconstruct the I-16/75 Spaghetti junctions split in Macon, I-16 and parts of 75 Downtown will be 12-14 lanes wide.... It not a lie there is a topic on this forum called (The New I-75/I-16) and it also on city forum and DOT site..... That what going on to Augusta i-20/520 I know is a big thing for Augusta but it old to Macon, Macon has 3 of these junctions 1.) at 475/75 north, 2.) 475/75 south and 3.) 16/75 DT which they are all being reconstructed even larger....

I tell you guys before you criticize you need to research first... to be honest right now after all the development in Augustan Savannah and proposed in Columbus, it's nothing compared to development in Macon right now.... Macon has over 3-4 million sq ft retail development under construction in just north Macon and 2 million in south Macon near the 475/75 split area and that not including the highways and small commercial and residential developments in these areas and other parts of the city... Right now riverside Drive is also under construction it is being expanded to 4lanes wide all the way to Monroe county because of the area filling up with so much Commercial & residential development and has to be completed by march to support the traffic for the new open-air mall that opens in March 2008 and 3 other lifestyle centers all under constructions now in North Macon, Also in North Macon they are constructing Providence Town Center - 750,000 sq. ft. it like a smaller version of Atlanta

this has be pop growth.... It can't be development....

No that's the amount of retail in each metro. Check out the census website for yourself. I had already given the amount of population growth in another thread and those are not the same numbers. This was taken from the 2005 Msa Business section from the line marked retail trade.

This also falls in line with what I said a few months ago when I said that population is the real determing factor of growth. If a metro is the twice the size of population than another metro, it's only natural that it would have twice the amoun of retail.

More information form the census webiste. This includes the number of lodging and restuarant establishments in each second tier metro.

Augusta = 1,287

Savannah = 1,161

Columbus = 705

Macon = 580

This includes the amount of Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation Establishments in each second tier metro

Augusta = 1,076

Savannah = 900

Columbus = 484

Macon = 413

Ths includes the total amount of business in each metro (health, retail, wholesale, arts, lodging, restaurants etc.)

Augusta = 40,873

Savannah = 28,733

Columbus = 22,017

Macon= 19,774

The follwing is the ranking of who had the most development or new business from the previous year 2004.

Augusta = 2,152 new businesses

Savannah = 1,734 new businesses

Columbus =1,575 new businesses

Macon = 1,051 new businesses

I tell you guys before you criticize you need to research first... to be honest right now after all the development in Augustan Savannah and proposed in Columbus, it's nothing compared to development in Macon right now.... Macon has over 3-4 million sq ft retail development under construction in just north Macon and 2 million in south Macon near the 475/75 split area and that not including the highways and small commercial and residential developments in these areas and other parts of the city... Right now riverside Drive is also under construction it is being expanded to 4lanes wide all the way to Monroe county because of the area filling up with so much Commercial & residential development and has to be completed by march to support the traffic for the new open-air mall that opens in March 2008 and 3 other lifestyle centers all under constructions now in North Macon, Also in North Macon they are constructing Providence Town Center - 750,000 sq. ft. it like a smaller version of Atlanta

Archived