Georgia Population Figures

teshadoh

When do you guys think Columbus will reclaim its position as Georgia's second largest city? Columbus is expected to lead the state in job growth and population for the next 5 years according to the Terry College of Business at UGA. Fort Benning's expansion is expected to bring 30,000 to the city of Columbus in the next 2 to 4 years. They compared it to bringing a city the size of LaGrange or a campus around the size of the University of Georgia to Columbus. Columbus and Augusta keep fighting for the position. Any thoughts on what year Columbus will retake the title?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It could take over as the second largest actual city...its only a few thousand different. But metrowise, Augusta is still going to be bigger for a long time.

You may well be right -- however

If Lee County AL (130k +) is eventually included in a consolidated metro count (a possibility based on new Ft Benning hirees living there but

commuting to the core county of Chattahoochee)

and

Troup County GA (60k+) is also included in consolidated metro (a possibility if KIA builds there and large % of hirees come from Harris, Muscogee Counties)

that is ~ 200k+. Not counting 30k+ expected with BRAC and AFLAC expansion. Add ~ 225-250k to the present metro population, and Columbus would pretty much be on parity with Augusta (which has the advantage of being next to SC with its relative large-size counties)

Actually, the real contest is not which city will be second largest, but which is city, Atlanta included, is the best. Now, that is a contest that NONE will ever agree on! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A little disingenuous since the population of 2 of these "cities" are really the population of the surrounding county?

Not really -- Muscogee (Columbus) and Richmond (Augusta) are fairly small counties in area AND

Muscogee (and I suspect Richmond too) are even "smaller" yet due to military installations (I know that population of

bases are counted in county census, but the population of the areas occupied by bases, if available for civilian use, would undoubtedly be greater). Thus, the actual land area occupied by Columbus and Augusta is probably not that much greater than other cities with similar populations. In Muscogee, almost all available land is urbanized and "suburbs" are really located in adjoining counties, Harris to the north and Lee in AL to the west.

Also Athen/Clarke, the other consolidated govt is quite small in area -- I think the smallest of the three

A little disingenuous since the population of 2 of these "cities" are really the population of the surrounding county?

And Indianapolis, Jacksonville, & Louisville should be chastised for daring to consolidate their counties as well? Nothing is disingenious, those are the municipal populations, it is irregardless if their population is skewed in some arbitrary manner, as all municipal populations are in the end - arbitrary.

Also, what is the fascination with replying to ancient posts? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no one seems to have corrected the statistics, so in case anyone new reads this here goes...

Fulton County challenged the Census Bureau's figures, and they won the challenge. Census updated Fulton County to 905,000 people and the city of Atlanta to 425,000 for 2004. They also updated the figures for most municipalities in Fulton County. Alpharetta and Roswell have added significant numbers of people since 2000, but I'm not sure what the actual numbers are. North Fulton continues to grow rapidly, although I imagine it is now spreading into Forsyth, as predicted, and it has slowed somewhat.

Atlanta's economy is heating up yet again, and should be the main driver of Georgia's economic and job growth as it always is. During the 90's, Atlanta lead the nation in job growth.

• 9 months later...

From the lastest Census press release

Top 10 Fastest-Growing states

State Percent Change

1. Arizona 3.6

2. Nevada 3.5

3. Idaho 2.6

4. Georgia 2.5

5. Texas 2.5

6. Utah 2.4

7. North Carolina 2.1

8. Colorado 1.9

9. Florida 1.8

10. South Carolina 1.7

Top 10 Numeric Gainers

State Change

1. Texas 579,275

2. Florida 321,697

3. California 303,402

4. Georgia 231,388

5. Arizona 213,311

6. North Carolina 184,046

7. Washington 103,899

8. Colorado 90,082

9. Nevada 83,228

10. Tennessee 83,058

State -- Population 7/1/06

1. California - 36,457,549
  2. Texas - 23,507,783
  3. New York - 19,306,183
  4. Florida - 18,089,888
  5. Illinois - 12,831,970
  6. Pennsylvania - 12,440,621
  7. Ohio - 11,478,006
  8. Michigan - 10,095,643
  9. Georgia - 9,363,941
  10. North Carolina - 8,856,505

Georgia 231,388

I would wager that of that 231,388 newcomers to Georgia, 219,819 of them moved to greater Atlanta. 10,000 of them moved to North Georgia (outside of greater Atlanta) and the remaining 1569 moved to other parts fo Georgia. If only we could get some of these newcomers to spread out. Maybe encourage 25,000 to Columbus, Macon, Savannah and Augusta and Atlanta will take the rest. :D

I would wager that of that 231,388 newcomers to Georgia, 219,819 of them moved to greater Atlanta. 10,000 of them moved to North Georgia (outside of gretaer Atlanta) and the remaining 1569 moved to outher parts fo Georgia. If only we could get some of these newcomers to spread out. Maybe encourage 25,000 to Columbus, Macon, Savannah and Augusta and Atlanta will take the rest. :D

I agree with that, but all the 2nd tier cities need to work hard to create some attractions to encourage more newcomers into the 2nd tier cities. Like more professional corporate jobs(instead of factories, warehouses & etc.)also modernize develpments which draws in these people because alot of the newcomers are from faster cities like NY, FL cities and others, that why atlanta is always gaining pop., the 2nd tier cities need to catch up(speed up) and stop holding on to history and perservations so to where it's hender them from growth. because it causing them to lose out on so many opportunties...Like having height restriction(cancels High/Mid-rise developments), not wanting to cut down a 100 year old trees(cancels Residential/commerical growth) or demolishing century old un used,condemed building(less space for modernize structures) and etc. If they want growth they are going to have to accomidate....

It will be interesting to see what the 2010 census figures say for "the rest" of Georgia. I think the mid-sized cities will see a nice but not significant increase, as usual. North Georgia and SE Georgia will probably see the highest increases due to half-backs and retirees. I live here in the Upstate area of SC but often work in areas of NE Georgia (Hartwell, Lavonia, Toccoa) and these towns seem to be growing very nicely. I just hope that with the growth these towns somehow try to preserve their historically important Dowtowns. One case in point, Hartwell Georgia, with a beautiful little Downtown area just tore down a nice strip of older buildings for an ugly ass Walgreens in the CENTER of town. Another strip of less appealing buildings is being tore down right across the street for what looks like an attractive multilevel retail/loft building with streefront retail. Seems like opposing forces are at work here but shows how places like this should and shouldnt grow. I also hope that Brunswick Ga., which seems to be a future up and comer, retains some of its charms with all the highrise development going on Downtown.

It will be interesting to see what the 2010 census figures say for "the rest" of Georgia. I think the mid-sized cities will see a nice but not significant increase, as usual. North Georgia and SE Georgia will probably see the highest increases due to half-backs and retirees. I live here in the Upstate area of SC but often work in areas of NE Georgia (Hartwell, Lavonia, Toccoa) and these towns seem to be growing very nicely. I just hope that with the growth these towns somehow try to preserve their historically important Dowtowns. One case in point, Hartwell Georgia, with a beautiful little Downtown area just tore down a nice strip of older buildings for an ugly ass Walgreens in the CENTER of town. Another strip of less appealing buildings is being tore down right across the street for what looks like an attractive multilevel retail/loft building with streefront retail. Seems like opposing forces are at work here but shows how places like this should and shouldnt grow. I also hope that Brunswick Ga., which seems to be a future up and comer, retains some of its charms with all the highrise development going on Downtown.

Thats sad about the tacky Walgreens. I have a lot of family in Hartwell, and although its not the most exciting place to visit, it is a wonderful community with a lot of potential - especially as Lake Hartwell eventually will become another resort destination. I cant believe they allowed that, they just finished remodelling their downtown streetscape.... hmm. That doesnt make sense.

From the lastest Census press release

Top 10 Fastest-Growing states

State Percent Change

1. Arizona 3.6

2. Nevada 3.5

3. Idaho 2.6

4. Georgia 2.5

5. Texas 2.5

6. Utah 2.4

7. North Carolina 2.1

8. Colorado 1.9

9. Florida 1.8

10. South Carolina 1.7

Top 10 Numeric Gainers

State Change

1. Texas 579,275

2. Florida 321,697

3. California 303,402

4. Georgia 231,388

5. Arizona 213,311

6. North Carolina 184,046

7. Washington 103,899

8. Colorado 90,082

9. Nevada 83,228

10. Tennessee 83,058

State -- Population 7/1/06

1. California - 36,457,549
  2. Texas - 23,507,783
  3. New York - 19,306,183
  4. Florida - 18,089,888
  5. Illinois - 12,831,970
  6. Pennsylvania - 12,440,621
  7. Ohio - 11,478,006
  8. Michigan - 10,095,643
  9. Georgia - 9,363,941
  10. North Carolina - 8,856,505

I think we can obtain the #5 spot sooner than we think. Illinois, Penn, Mich & Ohio are all clumped right there waiting for us to take the lead. I can definately see us becoming #5, and Florida obtaining #3. That would be nice to be situated next to NY in ranks and FL in geography!

I would wager that of that 231,388 newcomers to Georgia, 219,819 of them moved to greater Atlanta. 10,000 of them moved to North Georgia (outside of greater Atlanta) and the remaining 1569 moved to other parts fo Georgia. If only we could get some of these newcomers to spread out. Maybe encourage 25,000 to Columbus, Macon, Savannah and Augusta and Atlanta will take the rest. :D

I don't really doubt that Atlanta is capable of growing at that rate, but it seems to me that Atlanta grows between 90,000 and 120,000 every year for the last few years. Since Atlanta now makes up a little over half of our population, then I would expect it to capture about half the people who moved here, which seems to be the case. I think Augusta, Macon, Columbus, Savannah, et al, are growing at good rates that can compare to most other sunbelt towns.

I think the Census needs to report two different sets of figures for Georgia: metro Atlanta, and the rest of the state.

I wish they would. I'm curious. Though I do believe we would still be a fast growing state.

Out of curiosity - I relooked at my first post which were the 2006 most popolous GA cities & included the new 3 cities.

1 Atlanta city 419,122

2 Augusta-Richmond County 191,326

3 Columbus city 182,850

4 Savannah city 129,808

5 Athens-Clarke County 102,744

6 Macon city 94,990

7 Roswell city 85,044

(8) Sandy Springs 85k

-9 Albany city 76,253

(10) Johns Creek 65k

-11 Marietta city 60,547

-12 Warner Robins city 56,305

Milton 20k

Of course, Warner Robins may very well be back in the top 10 with their aggressive annexing, but it looks like for likely over a century - Marietta is out of the top 10 for good. Albany will probably slip as well, as there is very little hope for that city to gain in population, unless they annex into Lee County (which liklihood is as likely as Atlanta annexing Cobb County).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The census bureau has consistently underestimated the growth in metro Atlanta since the late-70's. I suspect when the 2010 census results are tabulated, Fulton and DeKalb in particular and Cobb will have a considerably greater population than the census estimates project beyond 2006. Doughtery, Muscogee and Richmond are also estimated to be declining and I think by 2010 Muscogee and Richmond both will surprise census demographers by posting increases, very small for Richmond and the largest gain for Muscogee since the 1960 census. I hope Doughtery will regain some of its losses, as recent as the early-80's, Albany was the fastest growing Georgia metro outside of Atlanta and Lee county has continued to grow at a rapid clip. Bibb has been a consistent slow gainer since 1960, and the 2006 estimates continue that pattern. The Macon region's population gains will continue to be fueled by Houston county and Warner Robins with Jones and Monroe posting solid gains.

Another area the census has consistently underestimated is the counties bordering Alabama, which include Columbus-Muscogee. Carroll County and Harris County have been the only two the Census Bureau has estimated to be growing rapidly while Walker, Chattatooga, Dade, Floyd, Polk, Haralson, Heard, Troup and Muscogee has long been underestimated when compared to final census figures. Most of these won't be big gainers, but they will have added more than the bureau estimates. Dade, Haralson and Heard may even turn out to be solid growth. Kia will most certainly benefit Troup, Harris and Heard by 2010. Polk and Floyd are going to see more Atlanta spillover, increasing their growth rates. Rockmart in eastern Polk may well be suburban in the next decade. Walker is eventually going to pick up more growth as Catoosa County builds up. The Chicamauga bypass and 4 laning 27 along will GA 2 access to GA 193 and Flintstone/Chattanooga Valley will soon pick up steam and boom if Tennessee completes the proposed replacement of TN 17 which becomes GA 193 and the St. Elmo area of Chattanooga gentrifies.

• 1 month later...

Yay. The 2006 county estimates are out! New census releases are like Christmas to me. Here's my quick calculations of the 2nd tier metros growth. As always, feel free to correct any inaccuracies, as these calculations were done pretty quickly...

2006 Census Estimates:

Augusta MSA:					  523,249

Columbus MSA:					288,847

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA		437,222

Macon MSA:					  229,326

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	 381,641

Savannah MSA					320,043

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	  394,066

2005-2006 Numeric Change:

Augusta MSA:					  + 5,394

Columbus MSA:					+ 6,373

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA	   + 8,942

Macon MSA:					  + 1,357

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	 + 3,615

Savannah MSA					+ 6,587

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	 + 8,800

2005-2006 Percent Change:

Augusta MSA:					 + 1.04%

Columbus MSA:					+ 2.26%

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA	   + 2.09%

Macon MSA:					   + 0.59%

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	  + 0.96%

Savannah MSA					 + 2.10%

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	  + 2.28%

2000-2006 Numeric Change:

Augusta MSA:					  + 23,566

Columbus MSA:					+ 7,079

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA	   + 16,317

Macon MSA:					  + 6,958

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	 + 24,840

Savannah MSA					+ 27,043

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	 + 29,152

2000-2006 Percent Change:

Augusta MSA:					  + 4.71%

Columbus MSA:					+ 2.51%

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA	   + 3.88%

Macon MSA:					  + 3.13%

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	 + 6.96%

Savannah MSA					+ 9.23%

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	 + 11.00%

Yay. The 2006 county estimates are out! New census releases are like Christmas to me. Here's my quick calculations of the 2nd tier metros growth. As always, feel free to correct any inaccuracies, as these calculations were done pretty quickly...

2006 Census Estimates:

Augusta MSA:					  523,249

Columbus MSA:					288,847

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA		437,222

Macon MSA:					  229,326

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	 381,641

Savannah MSA					320,043

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	  394,066

2005-2006 Numeric Change:

Augusta MSA:					  + 5,394

Columbus MSA:					+ 6,373

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA	   + 8,942

Macon MSA:					  + 1,357

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	 + 3,615

Savannah MSA					+ 6,587

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	 + 8,800

2005-2006 Percent Change:

Augusta MSA:					 + 1.04%

Columbus MSA:					+ 2.26%

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA	   + 2.09%

Macon MSA:					   + 0.59%

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	  + 0.96%

Savannah MSA					 + 2.10%

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	  + 2.28%

2000-2006 Numeric Change:

Augusta MSA:					  + 23,566

Columbus MSA:					+ 7,079

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA	   + 16,317

Macon MSA:					  + 6,958

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	 + 24,840

Savannah MSA					+ 27,043

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	 + 29,152

2000-2006 Percent Change:

Augusta MSA:					  + 4.71%

Columbus MSA:					+ 2.51%

Columbus/Aub-Ope/Tusk CSA	   + 3.88%

Macon MSA:					  + 3.13%

Macon/Warner Rob./Ft. Val. CSA	 + 6.96%

Savannah MSA					+ 9.23%

Savannah/Hines-Ft. Stew. CSA	 + 11.00%

Why does it seem that my area(Savannah) is growing faster. At least faster than I would expect. It feels slow. I would also bet that the city limits lost population while metro and CSA grew. I stay in the city, maybe that's why I rarely notice growth(except for out in the GeorgeTown area).

Archived