Georgia Population Figures

teshadoh

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It appears you are correct yerocal. I did the research and its true that Macon Mall is the states second largest below is a link I found from the Augusta Chronicle that shows the states 10 largest indoor shopping malls and Macon mall does fall second Augusta Mall is 9th the good thing is these are the only two malls in the state outside of Metro Atlanta that make that list that is something to be proud of either way:

Georgia's 10 largest malls from Augusta Chronicle

Hey Do your research man, the only mall in ga larger than Macon Mall is the mall of ga..... Until this year the Macon mall is Anhored by Dillards, Macy, Sears, JC Penney, Belks and Parsianbefore the buy out and 200 specialities stores and the new mall is also will include a Dillards and Belks....

It appears you are correct yerocal. I did the research and its true that Macon Mall is the states second largest below is a link I found from the Augusta Chronicle that shows the states 10 largest indoor shopping malls and Macon mall does fall second Augusta Mall is 9th the good thing is these are the only two malls in the state outside of Metro Atlanta that make that list that is something to be proud of either way:

Georgia's 10 largest malls from Augusta Chronicle

That article is 10 years old. The Mall of Georgia wasn't built yet, Augsuta Mall was 900,000 sq. feet at the time and has expanded twice since then, the Perimeter Mall has expanded since then, and the Stonecrest Mall wasn't built then. That article has Lenox Mall listed as the largest mall which is wrong.

Now it may still be the largest outside of Atlanta but there are a few malls in Atlanta that are bigger than the Macon Mall. Isn't the Macon Mall like 1.3 millions square feet?

That article is 10 years old. The Mall of Georgia wasn't built yet, Augsuta Mall was 900,000 sq. feet at the time and has expanded twice since then, the Perimeter Mall has expanded since then, and the Stonecrest Mall wasn't built then. That article has Lenox Mall listed as the largest mall which is wrong.

Now it may still be the largest outside of Atlanta but there are a few malls in Atlanta that are bigger than the Macon Mall. Isn't the Macon Mall like 1.3 millions square feet?

Give Up Dude, the Macon Mall under went a huge expansion about 10 years ago too adding Dillards, Parsions and about new 20 stores bring it to 6 anchors.. that means now the Macon is even larger than when that article was printed, Reality check, There is NO other Mall in this STATE larger that the Macon Mall as of yet other than the Mall of GA.. not even Augusta Mall.. Also the Macon Mall is researching plans to explan or redeveloped part of mall somewhat like whats happening at the augusta Mall to compete with the new mall on the north side....but no final Plans has been released...Who knows what going to happen I sure something very spectaclar....

Out of stonecrest, perimeter, and lenox 2 are probably bigger than macon and augusta mall. Stonecrest is not that big it just has alot of strip malls and hotels surrounding it. So the sprawl around makes it seem alot bigger. But atlanta probably has the top 3 or 4 biggest malls in ga.

Augusta mall was 1.3 million sq. ft before the lifestyle center addition. So macon mall was biggest outisde of atl in ga until 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusta_Mall

wikipedia says macon mall is just the largest in central georgia now

it does say The the Village at Riverwatch in augusta will be the largest lifestyle center in the state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shopp...e_United_States

Out of stonecrest, perimeter, and lenox 2 are probably bigger than macon and augusta mall. Stonecrest is now that big it just has alot of strip malls and hotels surrounding it. So the sprawl around makes it seem alot bigger. I don't know whats the biggest mall outside of atl btw macon and augusta. I would assume though with aug mall new lifestyle addition it should be the biggest outside of atl. But atlanta probably has the top 3 or 4 biggest malls in ga.

wikipedia says macon mall is just the largest in central georgia now

it does say The the Village at Riverwatch in augusta will be the largest lifestyle center in the state

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shopp...e_United_States

Well we all know by now that wikipedia has a lot of incorrect information from experience of previous topics and forums, but i will find the infor and make sure i share it....

Round three for Macon, 1.) Macon has the second Largest Hosptial in the state, Medical Center of Central Ga, 2.) The Largest Multi-funtional faculity out side of atlanta the Centre plex/Coliseum 3.) the state's second largest Mall...... Wow

1 large hospital is good but 3 large hospitals is better. Augusta is the medical center of the southeast. Ppl from columbia, savannah, and athens come to augusta for injuries. The Medical College of GA is still in augusta

Three of our top hospital are expanding at the same time

Doctors Hospital isn't alone in its 55 million dollar construction. University Hospital is in the midst of a $94 million renovation, Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics is planning $110 million in projects in the next few years, and the school is planning a $124 million new building for the School of Dentistry that will likely be part of a larger medical education complex with new facilities for the School of Medicine. Thats 383 million on hospitals in augusta

Macon does have one of the largest malls in ga but is not the state's 2nd largest. Im sure macon mall is about 1.3 to 1.5 million sq. ft probably a little more than augusta mall was before it expanded. Atlanta has the top 2 to 4 largest malls in ga then augusta, followed by macon. When macon's mall add a lifestyle portion then it may be bigger than aug mall, but not right now

1 large hospital is good, but augusta is the medical center of the southeast. Ppl from columbia, savannah, and athens come to augusta for injuries. The Medical College of GA is still in augusta

Three of our top hospital are expanding at the same time

Doctors Hospital isn't alone in its 55 million dollar construction. University Hospital is in the midst of a $94 million renovation, Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics is planning $110 million in projects in the next few years, and the school is planning a $124 million new building for the School of Dentistry that will likely be part of a larger medical education complex with new facilities for the School of Medicine.

Macon does have one of the largest malls in ga but is not the state's 2nd largest. Im sure macon mall is about 1.3 to 1.5 million sq. ft probably a little more than augusta mall was before it expanded. Atlanta has the top 2 to 4 largest malls in ga then augusta, followed by macon. When macon's mall add a lifestyle portion then it may be bigger than aug mall, but now right now

Lol, Until you can find proof then Macon Mall is the still the 2nd largest Mall in Ga.... Oh yeah the Medical center is expanding as we speak its building a huge 9 story high-rise Cardic center which opens in 2008...

heartcenter.jpg

I figured you didn't know what a lifestyle center was.

Lullwater at Bass is an apartment complex.

Marketplace at Bass is power center not a lifestyle center.

Opus Shoppes of Macon is not a lifestyle center...it has stores like CVS, Advanced Auto Parts Store and Publix. If you consider that a lifestyle center then Augusta has plenty of those. If you want to count stores like those, Augusta has plenty of those being built.

Hartley Station isn't a lifestyle center either. It's much bigger than that. Plans include an elementery school and houses. Lifestyle centers don't have those. That's more like a town.

North Winds was changed from a lifestyle center to a big box development. (Augusta is building plenty of those now).

The only three developments that you named that are actually lifestyle centers are LullWater Village and Providence Town Center (and has there been any update on that. That actually sounds like a nice development). The Shoppes at River Crossing is the third one.

Hey expert, you are exactly right Lullwater at bass is an apartment complex but if YOU look across the street you will also see it's lifestyle Retail Center where the ground has been broken and a huge sign which show the renderings of the retail center....lol make sure you have all your facts before you comment..

Well obiviously a lot of people and developers don't know what a lifestyle center is, because that what they all are calling them unless you don't know what one is, Like I mentioned Macon has 7 LS centers underconstruction and you need come to reality about the growth and in macon instead of try to knock the development or act as if augusta has more or say something better.....when it's not...

Providence Town Center

northmacon.jpg

Shoppes at River Crossing

958-101707_Shopping008_-1.jpg

I don't think anybody know for sure who is adding more retail out of the 2nd tier cities. Some people have a diffrent opinion on what a shopping, power, or lifestyle center is. Will have to see in the next 3 to 5 yrs.

wikipedia is right sometime and is says the village at riverwatch will be the largest lifestyle center in the state of ga. Belk, Costco, Starplex Cinema, specialty stores, large format retail, restaurants and two hotel

riverwatch2sc5.jpg

Augusta Mall

52924085215_0_ALB.jpg

72924085215_0_ALB.jpg

92924085215_0_ALB.jpg

The Macon Mall is 1.4 million sq. feet. There are three malls that I know of that are bigger, and they are the Mall of Georgia, Lenox Mall, and Stonecrest Mall. The Macon Mall has over 100,000 sq. feet of vacant space due to the closing of Parisian which put its current active square footage at 1.3 million.

Augusta has two enclosed malls, the Augusta Mall (1.3 million square feet) and the Aiken Mall (couldn't find the exact size).

Savannah has two enclosed malls as well. Savannah Mall (960,000 sq. ft.) and Ogelthorpe Mall (948,000 sq. ft.)

The Macon Mall is 1.4 million sq. feet. There are three malls that I know of that are bigger, and they are the Mall of Georgia, Lenox Mall, and Stonecrest Mall. The Macon Mall has over 100,000 sq. feet of vacant space due to the closing of Parisian which put its current active square footage at 1.3 million.

Augusta has two enclosed malls, the Augusta Mall (1.3 million square feet) and the Aiken Mall (couldn't find the exact size).

Savannah has two enclosed malls as well. Savannah Mall (960,000 sq. ft.) and Ogelthorpe Mall (948,000 sq. ft.)

Well if you want to include aiken for Augusta then Macon has the Galleria in WRobins/centerville....

You are also correct I did not notice the date i figured it was a more recent article when it showed up as one of the top article in my google search. My mistake i'll attempt to find more current numbers

Aiken is a suburb of Augusta...Warner Robbins is it's own metro. Those are two totally different relationships. The Galleria is in Warner Robins.

For the area WR is consider apart of Macon Metro, although some sites say Warner Robins has is own metro and some say it not, but when the galleria is listed as a Macon area Mall... According to everyone favorite site Wikipedia, Macon is the sixth-largest city (by population) and third-largest Metropolitan Statistical Area in Georgia, behind Atlanta and Augusta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macon,_Georgia#_note-0

I can remember a time when the Regency Mall in Augusta was one of the top 3 malls size-wise in Georgia...back in the late 70's.

Before we all get scolded here I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Macon may be adding more retail space now but Augusta still is far ahead because it already has double the amount of existing retail space. Look at that massive Power Center with close to a million sq. ft. itself, (Augusta Exchange) in West Augusta. The Power Centers on Bobby Jones Expressway and the MASSIVE amount of retail on Washington rd. and Wrightboro rd., (around the Augusta Mall.) Not to mention the all of the new Power Centers out in Evans and North Augusta.

Right now there is probably about 1 million sq. ft. of space being added across the metro area, (UC) with several more millions being planned.

Augusta also already has a Lifestyle Center and has had one for many years. It is called Surrey Center and is located in the heart of one of Augustas historical areas. It is a 2 level shopping center with more than 40 shops including Talbots, Chicos, JosABanks and other stores normally seen in malls/LSCenters. The cool thing about this shopping center (adorned in wrought iron and fountains) is that there is such a broad selection of cool little shops, eateries, fine dining and some of Augustas best nightclubs.

I can remember a time when the Regency Mall in Augusta was one of the top 3 malls size-wise in Georgia...back in the late 70's.

Before we all get scolded here I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Macon may be adding more retail space now but Augusta still is far ahead because it already has double the amount of existing retail space. Look at that massive Power Center with close to a million sq. ft. itself, (Augusta Exchange) in West Augusta. The Power Centers on Bobby Jones Expressway and the MASSIVE amount of retail on Washington rd. and Wrightboro rd., (around the Augusta Mall.) Not to mention the all of the new Power Centers out in Evans and North Augusta.

Right now there is probably about 1 million sq. ft. of space being added across the metro area, (UC) with several more millions being planned.

Augusta also already has a Lifestyle Center and has had one for many years. It is called Surrey Center and is located in the heart of one of Augustas historical areas. It is a 2 level shopping center with more than 40 shops including Talbots, Chicos, JosABanks and other stores normally seen in malls/LSCenters. The cool thing about this shopping center (adorned in wrought iron and fountains) is that there is such a broad selection of cool little shops, eateries, fine dining and some of Augustas best nightclubs.

Exaggerations !!! Augusta does not have double the existing amount of retail space in Macon, for a short time Augusta and savannah wasn’t the only 2nd tier cities with 2 enclosed malls, Macon once had a 2 malls, which was called the Westgate Mall and the present Macon Mall in the late 80’s early 90’s the Westgate mall which included a Westgate cinema was converted into a shopping center… For Existing Macon Retail about 4 years ago Macon had a very huge power center developed, called Eisenhower crossing anchored by Target, Best Buy, Goodys,Old Navy, Dicks, Marshall, Ross, Pet Smart, Home Depot, Staples & Kroger’s which included a host of restaurants and small stores…. Macon has existing locations of pretty every things that in augusta and the only thing that i know that augusta had that Macon did not was 2 Dillards which will soon change in March of 2008 when the new Open air Mall opens...

I agree. And for the record.. Warner-Robins is considered to be a part of the Greater Macon metro Area.. that's from The US Census bureau, not Wikipedia.

For the record.. I would much rather have a thriving downtown area like Athens then a generic Mega Mall or lifestyle center.. or whatever they are calling them now.

The silly banter back and forth between Macon and Augusta boosters is amusing..

Augusta and Macon.. which is better?

That's like asking the question, Which is better? Hemmorhoids or Diarrhea?

Wow.....fighting back and forth like little girls.

This shows us how the 2nd tier cities are growing. GA dot site

Bibb I-75 Bibb 3 projects, Houston 3, Peach 4,

I-475 Bibb 1

http://acp.dot.state.ga.us/cfusion/cwp/vie...nterstateSearch

Savannah I-95 Chatham 2 projects, Bryan 4

Columbus I-185 Muscogee 3 projects, Harris 2, Troup 1

Augusta I-20 Richmond 5 projects, Columbia 5, Mcduffie 1

I-520 Richmond 2

Augusta cleary is dominating to become the second biggest metro in terms of apperance. Sc dot has projects on their site for I-20 and I-520

The fact is Augusta has lost population from the last census.. why don't you try actually doing real research instead of getting numbers from Wikipedia? Go to the census bureau's website and see for yourself. True Augusta gained slightly from the last year(about 200).. but overall the population has declined by nearly 6,000 people since the last census. That's not growth.

I don't think there is anyone else on this fourm who has made more unsupported exaggerations about Augusta than you. post='901175']

Augusta gained in population last year. I already told you that on the other board. It would be nice if you are going to make comments that you use facts to back them up.

I think PJA got that augusta gain population from the AJC article in another thread. The article breaks down population gains by county. I dont think it was from wikipeida

But when they see this im sure they will respond for theirself

Also when people move to south richmond county in hephzibah or blythe augusta gets no added population. Thats 10,000 ppl who are missing from augusta population but are in living in south richmond.

This shows us how the 2nd tier cities are growing. GA dot site

Bibb I-75 Bibb 3 projects, Houston 3, Peach 4,

I-475 Bibb 1

Savannah I-95 Chatham 2 projects, Bryan 3

Columbus I-185 Muscogee 3 projects, Harris 2, Troup 1

Augusta I-20 Richmond 5 projects, Columbia 5, Mcduffie 1

I-520 Richmond 2

Augusta cleary is dominating to become the second biggest metro in terms of apperance. Sc dot has projects on their site for I-20 and I-520

the only thing I can say is read this article please http://www.macon.com/198/story/208541.html

Archived