Georgia Population Figures

teshadoh

These are the FACTS about the population trends for Augusta and Columbus repectively according to the US Census.

Augusta-Richmond County

2000 pop 195,182

2006 pop 189,366

the "gain" you are talking about was a whopping 200 residents from July 1, 2005 to the latest figures from July 1, 2006.. but as you can see the overall population has declined by almost 6,000 ppl since 2000..

here's the table from the census website:

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/DTTab..._EST_G2006_T001

Columbus-Muscogee County

2000 pop 186,291

2006 pop 188,291

with the exception of 0f 02 to 03 Columbus-Muscogee has gained in population for each year and is up from the 2000 census

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/DTTab..._EST_G2006_T001

In the last year of data alone, Columbus gained almost 3,000 residents compared to 200 in Augusta..this is why it is very likely that by the 2010 census, Columbus will outrank Augusta in population.

What part of this is so difficult for you to comprehend??

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the only thing I can say is read this article please http://www.macon.com/198/story/208541.html

I understand macon is growing with transportation projects. Ga dot is doing more in macon and metro macon than in columbus and savannah but not augusta. All of augusta projects on the ga dot site have already started construction this year. This project is very nice but will not start construction for atleast 5 to 6 years. Richmond county had 7 next was columbia with 5 which is apart of metro augusta. Richmond 7, columbia 5, bibb 4, peach 4, and bryan 4. I agree that macon is growing faster in terms of transportaion than savannah, and columbus, but not augusta.

Richmond county according to dot has more construction going on in transportation than any county outside metro atlanta. Which means richmond county will definitely be the most urban county outside atlanta. When alot of this construction is done im sure macon will feel like a metro area when driving down the interstates. But riding through augusta interstates it will feel bigger.

GA dot by city

1. Atlanta

2. Augusta

3. Macon

4. Savannah & Columbus

done by july 2009. Just look at the pic http://www.palmettoparkway.org/default.shtml

St. Sebastian in downtown augusta

http://i.spotted.augusta.com/user/1/zoom/176571.jpg

For the area WR is consider apart of Macon Metro, although some sites say Warner Robins has is own metro and some say it not, but when the galleria is listed as a Macon area Mall... According to everyone favorite site Wikipedia, Macon is the sixth-largest city (by population) and third-largest Metropolitan Statistical Area in Georgia, behind Atlanta and Augusta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macon,_Georgia#_note-0

I agree. And for the record.. Warner-Robins is considered to be a part of the Greater Macon metro Area.. that's from The US Census bureau, not Wikipedia.

For the record.. I would much rather have a thriving downtown area like Athens then a generic Mega Mall or lifestyle center.. or whatever they are calling them now.

The silly banter back and forth between Macon and Augusta boosters is amusing..

Augusta and Macon.. which is better?

That's like asking the question, Which is better? Hemmorhoids or Diarrhea?

For the last time the US census does not include Warner Robins in Macon's metro. Wikipedia is not a reliable the source. All you have to do is go to www.census.gov and you will see that Macon and Warner Robins are seperate. No matter what other "unreliable" information you look for, Warner Robins and Macon do not interact enough to form a Metropolitan area. That is from the US census, not from me.

BTW, nowhere have I ever said that Augusta was better than Macon. Yerocal would have you to believe that there are just as many businesses in Macon as the other second tier cities. I have proven with facts from the cenus site that his beliefs are very incorrect. That is my whole point.

Probably a good idea to establish as a ground rule that Wikipedia is NEVER to be cited as authority for ANYTHING. Since it is unregulated, way too easy to plant entirely false, misleading information on it and then tout it as "fact." When dealing with population and other statistics, should limit citation to census and other reliable sources.

I understand macon is growing with transportation projects. Ga dot is doing more in macon and metro macon than in columbus and savannah but not augusta. All of augusta projects on the ga dot site have already started construction this year. This project is very nice but will not start construction for atleast 5 to 6 years. Richmond county had 7 next was columbia with 5 which is apart of metro augusta. Richmond 7, columbia 5, bibb 4, peach 4, and bryan 4. I agree that macon is growing faster in terms of transportaion than savannah, and columbus, but not augusta.

Richmond county according to dot has more construction going on in transportation than any county outside metro atlanta. Which means richmond county will definitely be the most urban county outside atlanta. When alot of this construction is done im sure macon will feel like a metro area when driving down the interstates. But riding through augusta interstates it will feel bigger.

GA dot by city

1. Atlanta

2. Augusta

3. Macon

4. Savannah & Columbus

done by july 2009. Just look at the pic http://www.palmettoparkway.org/default.shtml

St. Sebastian in downtown augusta

http://i.spotted.augusta.com/user/1/zoom/176571.jpg

Think of what you just said Macon has more interstates access than any city in Ga than atlanta, The little 520/20 ordeal in augusta is something that Macon already with 475/75,Macon aready has 3 interchange that exits and right now the split/interchange of 75/475 is being reconstructed larger in South Macon and when the huge $300 million interchange of 75/16 is conpleted it will give Macon more of a even larger city feel. Just because Augusta has more going at this present time doesn't means " Augusta/richmond county will definitely be the most urban county outside atlanta" I think NOT.....

For the last time the US census does not include Warner Robins in Macon's metro. Wikipedia is not a reliable the source. All you have to do is go to www.census.gov and you will see that Macon and Warner Robins are seperate. No matter what other "unreliable" information you look for, Warner Robins and Macon do not interact enough to form a Metropolitan area. That is from the US census, not from me.

BTW, nowhere have I ever said that Augusta was better than Macon. Yerocal would have you to believe that there are just as many businesses in Macon as the other second tier cities. I have proven with facts from the cenus site that his beliefs are very incorrect. That is my whole point.

Well let me tell you all for the last time, I don't care what the US census, Wikipedia or any other site says Macon and Warner Robins are separate I have lived in the Macon and Warner Robins area for over 27 years and Macon and Warner Robins has always been consider together Warner Robins interact with Macon on everything parades, work/jobs, shopping, Economic development, Advertisements, Phones services, TV & radio. Everything puts them together, nothing in this area shows no signs of Macon and Warner Robins are separate; it’s all listed as the Greater Macon metro area. Macon and WR has so much development going right now that in the next 2-3 years at some point in south Macon you will not be able to tell what is Macon and what is WR.. And this is not from the US census it from me opening my eyes and look at actuality... Commons sense tell us that there are no way us census can keep up with all the current/ day to day development and changes of any area because those censuses are taken by year....not by day.... And in order to see what the increase you would have to wait another year, not what they said in 2005 or 06 but what’s going in 2007. And who ever takes the US census and say that Warner Robins and Macon do not have enough interact to be combine they need to be replaced because it too obvious to anyone that's not true...

The facts not exagerrations are that Augusta does have double the retail than Macon. I already posted it before from www.census.gov website.

Augusta = 5,081

Savannah = 2,982

Columbus = 2,465

Macon = 2,225

I also posted the urban are for each metro because you said Macon "feels" bigger than the other metros. I posted the urban areas for each metro.

1. Augusta 231.79 square miles

2. Columbus 136.16 square miles

3. Savannah 102.39 square miles

4. Warner Robins 80.91 square miles

5. Macon 80.53 square miles

6. Athens 79.56 square miles

7. Albany 65.89

As you can tell I deal in facts. When you're talking about how big something is...that can be proven. The people at the US census have taken their time and these are the numbers they came up with. We don't have to like them. That doens't mean they aren't true. If you want to say Macon is better than all of the metros, then that's your opinion and you have every right to your opinion. But when you want to say Macon has more retail or is bigger than other cities, you're wrong, and I didn't come up with those numbers. The US census did.

BTW bigger isn't always better anyway.

Of course Columbus and augusta is going to have more sq mileage because it's combine with the county (light bulb) if macon consolidated with bibb county it would have a higher sq mileage too.. this morning Macon's new mayor wants to annex the size of the Macon city limits because of so much growth... And for the record I'm not the only one who say macon feel or look bigger EVERYONE else said that too.....

Oh yeah, to prove your point, Make sure that you watch the Middle Ga Regional X-mas pararde in DT Macon which show little interaction between metro Macon and metro WR......

Of course Columbus and augusta is going to have more sq mileage because it's combine with the county (light bulb) if macon consolidated with bibb county it would have a higher sq mileage too.. this morning Macon's new mayor wants to annex the size of the Macon city limits because of so much growth... And for the record I'm not the only one who say macon feel or look bigger EVERYONE else said that too.....

You may not understand what an urbanized area is. The urbanzied area is the developed part of a metro. That means that in the Augusta metro, there are 231.79 sq. miles of continuous developed area. The consolidation has nothing to do with how much urban area a metro has. As a matter of fact, in Augusta-Richmond county there are some rural places that are not included in the urbanzied area because there is not enough development. Even if Augusta deonsolidated, there would still be 231.79 square miles of development because those businesses and houses in the urban area would not disappear.

You may not understand what an urbanized area is. The urbanzied area is the developed part of a metro. That means that in the Augusta metro, there are 231.79 sq. miles of continuous developed area. The consolidation has nothing to do with how much urban area a metro has. As a matter of fact, in Augusta-Richmond county there are some rural places that are not included in the urbanzied area because there is not enough development. Even if Augusta deonsolidated, there would still be 231.79 square miles of development because those businesses and houses in the urban area would not disappear.

I know what a urbanized area is that may be true about Augusta, there are 231.79 sq. miles of continuous developed area but you have to consider why Macon is in bibb county which is one of the smallest counties in Ga which is 80% developed with Macon, also Macon's growth run into Monroe, jones & twiggs county... Earlier this year bibb and monroe county has a dispute how they was going to handle the growth of macon into monoe county... and now macon's development is starting to grow into houston and peach county...

Think of what you just said Macon has more interstates access than any city in Ga than atlanta, The little 520/20 ordeal in augusta is something that Macon already with 475/75,Macon aready has 3 interchange that exits and right now the split/interchange of 75/475 is being reconstructed larger in South Macon and when the huge $300 million interchange of 75/16 is conpleted it will give Macon more of a even larger city feel. Just because Augusta has more going at this present time doesn't means " Augusta/richmond county will definitely be the most urban county outside atlanta" I think NOT.....

Augusta already has interchanges on its interstates just like macon. Dot is constructed them to have fly overs which are more likely to be seen in cities like atlanta, houston, or la.

You forget that alot of the major projects in ga go through richmond county

Bibb I-14

fall line freeway

Chatham I-3

Savannah river

Muscogee I-14

fall line

Richmond I-3

savannah river pkwy

fall line

I-14

Ga dot is already doing more construction this year in richmond than any county outside metro atlanta. So saying richmond county will be the most urban county outside atlanta is not a stretch.

Btw wikipedia and us census both give estimates. The us census doesn't use a special device or something that others sites don't use. They both are not exact just estimates

Well let me tell you all for the last time, I don't care what the US census, Wikipedia or any other site says Macon and Warner Robins are separate I have lived in the Macon and Warner Robins area for over 27 years and Macon and Warner Robins has always been consider together Warner Robins interact with Macon on everything parades, work/jobs, shopping, Economic development, Advertisements, Phones services, TV & radio. Everything puts them together, nothing in this area shows no signs of Macon and Warner Robins are separate; it

I have been worried that Columbus might someday in the distant future become no more than a far-flung suburb of Atlanta. Now I see that the much bigger and more imminent threat is that it will become a mere suburb of Macon. :-)

Forget the next Atlanta! When Columbus, Augsuta and Savannah become suburbs of Macon, it will be bigger than Atlanta.

Augusta already has interchanges on its interstates just like macon. Dot is constructed them to have fly overs which are more likely to be seen in cities like atlanta, houston, or la.

You forget that alot of the major projects in ga go through richmond county

Bibb I-14

fall line freeway

Chatham I-3

Savannah river

Muscogee I-14

fall line

Richmond I-3

savannah river pkwy

fall line

I-14

Ga dot is already doing more construction this year in richmond than any county outside metro atlanta. So saying richmond county will be the most urban county outside atlanta is not a stretch.

Having more interstate access will not make Richmond county more urban. An urban area is not defined by how much interstate access it has.

Btw wikipedia and us census both give estimates. The us census doesn't use a special device or something that others sites don't use. They both are not exact just estimates

EXCEPT that the Census Bureau estimates are prepared by professional statisticians who apply a consistent applicable standard in reaching its estimates.

Whereas any yahoo can add his or her "estimate" on Wikipedia based on any standard he or she feels like and then site the "estimate" as a fact.

One is a scientific estimate and as reliable as statistics can be. The other is as likely to be based on boosterism and puffery as any thing else.

I totally 100 percent agree. I like to read Wikipedia...but you must always check the sources before you take anything that you find on that site at face value. And that shouldn't be your main source. The people at the Census Bureau get paid to do this and I would rather take their word than the word of someone who is just out to make their metro look good.

In any reasonable debate or discussion, a standard has to be agreed upon. The standard should be the us census...and since you don't care what they say, there is no point of me discussing this matter any further with you because I deal in facts not not wishful thinking.

You Could not have said anything better, because i'm tried of going on about Macon and Augusta, Because what I say is not wishful thinking but actullality..... Just like wikpedia the us census is only an estimates and numbers which has no way of tracking every single development move when it only take per year..... In my opinion I still rate Macon Number 2 after atlanta....

Forget the next Atlanta! When Columbus, Augsuta and Savannah become suburbs of Macon, it will be bigger than Atlanta.

Having more interstate access will not make Richmond county more urban. An urban area is not defined by how much interstate access it has.

I totally 100 percent agree. I like to read Wikipedia...but you must always check the sources before you take anything that you find on that site at face value. And that shouldn't be your main source. The people at the Census Bureau get paid to do this and I would rather take their word than the word of someone who is just out to make their metro look good.

well if they are they need a pay cut because it obvious they are falling behind..... with US census....

Yerocal, you rate Macon number 2 after Atlanta in what? Places you like? That would be about the only thing it would rank as. Augusta has twice the population (metro area), twice the amount of urbanized (built up) area, and twice the amount of retail, (as shown by the US Census bureau thanks to PJA.) It has more tall buildings, (check emporis for stats), more jobs, more influence, more hotel rooms, more hospital beds....blah blah blah the list could go on forever.

Retail development wise Macon may have more planned right now but Augusta isnt far behind that.

You have the Village at Riverwatch with 900K sqft., The Forum with roughly 350,000K sq. ft., Marshall Square with roughyl 100K sq. ft, (not including residential office and hotel), Hammonds Ferry, basically an extension of Downtown North Augusta with residential office and retail, Mullins sq. phase 2 with 3-400K sq. ft. of retail, The new Home Depot and shopping center attatched in Evans, (probably 200K sq. ft.), the new Walmart Supercenter and shopping center attatched in South Aiken, (probably 200K sq. ft.), another planned Walmart super Center in Grovetown, The Augusta Mall expansion and probably an additional 100K sq. ft of retail in standard strip malls going up in Evans. ....This is JUST retail and doesnt include any office or residential space that will come along with some of the developments like Hammonds Ferry, Forum, and Marshall Sq.

Oh and BTW, The Interchange at 520 and 20 in Augusta may not be bigger than the one planned for Macon but most of the Interstate construction is going on in South Carolina in North Augusta with the extension of 520 to 20 to make a complete loop around Augusta. So basically there are 2 large interchanges being worked on on I-20, one in Georgia, the other in South Carolina. Not to mention the 2-3 other interchanges on the new part of 520.

I agree with you that interstates are not everything. But the larger the metro grows the more interstate access it will have. Fulton county had 23 projects on ga dot site. I-20, I-75, I-85, and I-285. When riding down atlanta interstates you feel like you are in the city miles before you even are. Fulton 23, richmond 7, bibb 4, muscogee 3, chatham 2. Atlanta because of this feels more urban if you drive or walk around the city.

All of ga cities are growing alot faster than before though. Columbus, savannah, macon, and augusta, will look alot diffrent by 2015.

Yerocal, you rate Macon number 2 after Atlanta in what? Places you like? That would be about the only thing it would rank as. Augusta has twice the population (metro area), twice the amount of urbanized (built up) area, and twice the amount of retail, (as shown by the US Census bureau thanks to PJA.) It has more tall buildings, (check emporis for stats), more jobs, more influence, more hotel rooms, more hospital beds....blah blah blah the list could go on forever.

Retail development wise Macon may have more planned right now but Augusta isnt far behind that.

You have the Village at Riverwatch with 900K sqft., The Forum with roughly 350,000K sq. ft., Marshall Square with roughyl 100K sq. ft, (not including residential office and hotel), Hammonds Ferry, basically an extension of Downtown North Augusta with residential office and retail, Mullins sq. phase 2 with 3-400K sq. ft. of retail, The new Home Depot and shopping center attatched in Evans, (probably 200K sq. ft.), the new Walmart Supercenter and shopping center attatched in South Aiken, (probably 200K sq. ft.), another planned Walmart super Center in Grovetown, The Augusta Mall expansion and probably an additional 100K sq. ft of retail in standard strip malls going up in Evans. ....This is JUST retail and doesnt include any office or residential space that will come along with some of the developments like Hammonds Ferry, Forum, and Marshall Sq.

i'm tried of this discussion Macon has just as much exisiting, now under construction and future planned as Augusta the only thing that augusta has morer than Macon is people, there is no reason to contiune this never ending discussion..... Like i said the Us census is just estimates because according to the US census it doesn't even includes all the development what going on right now....

I've tried to stay out of the fight, so I'll just add a bit of non-inflammatory opinion.

I recently drove from Orlando to Atlanta, and obviously went through Macon. I took 75 through on the way up and 475 on the way down. Anyone from Augusta who thinks our highways (including new construction) are more "impressive" are wrong. Macon's highway infrastructure is much larger AND there are HUGE new projects going on. I'll also add that Savannah has a larger, more comprehensive highway network than Augusta, including the 520 expansion.

However, did I think this made Macon feel any more "big-city?"... Not at all. It's no coincidence that the larger, busier highway, and the major interchange improvements are benefiting I-475, the highway which bypasses Macon's core. The city has a LOT more thru-traffic. Wide highways and impressive interchanges mean NOTHING about the size of the city in many cases. The 2 new flyovers at the ends of I-520 aren't going to suddenly make Augusta appear more "big city," simply because the surroundings don't reflect that (mid-density suburban at the GA end and low-density suburban at the SC end).

If highway size were of ANY consideration, I'd have to conclude that metro Tifton on I-75 or the megalopolis of Woodbine on I-95 were larger cities than Augusta, since they lie on long stretches on 6-lane highway apart from any major cities, whereas I-20 through the Augusta metro is 4-lane the majority of time.

Archived