Ugliest building in Minneapolis?

MrSmith

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh yes --the City Center/Multidfoods tower is not attractive. Up close the concrete used to build it looks like hardened vomit. At least is is so boring it blends into the skyline and just fades away. Here is a photo.

3154minneapolis-downtown-2.jpg

Although I like the look of Grant Park at the street level, the tower is really busy --and when the top is lit at night it reminds me of the Parthenon or some government memorial.

grant_park-34.gif.

Grant Park is totally ridiculous. Like a quaint brownstone that also wants to be a chic highrise. And fails on both. Its sad this is now one of the first buildings people see driving up 35W from the airport.

The Multifoods tower is beyond bland. I had to laugh at a website which described its color as a "rotten meat hue". I agree with the Denver comment.

My vote goes for Block E. What a piece of garbage that whole thing turned out to be. Disgusting.

Grant Park is totally ridiculous. Like a quaint brownstone that also wants to be a chic highrise. And fails on both.  Its sad this is now one of the first buildings people see driving up 35W from the airport.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not familiar with driving around Minneapolis, but I'm just wondering, would Skyscape help with this problem once it is built?

I'm not familiar with driving around Minneapolis, but I'm just wondering, would Skyscape help with this problem once it is built?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm assuming you mean if Skyscape will block out Grant Park from the 35W perspective. My thought is no. It's hard for me to visualize where exactly Skyscape will fall into the skyline from that angle, but I'm thinking it will be off to the side of Grant Park, or maybe even a bit tucked behind. Looks like Grant Park will be sticking out like a wart on a witch's nose for quite some time. Although, there is a plot of land in front of Grant Park that seems to have a condo proposal (not sure) that could hide some it. (Oops, Northstar mentioned that above)

Skyscape is behind and to the right of Grant Park.

5th Avenue Gateway (20 stories) just got it's funding in order, and will rise directly in front of Grant Park.

Skyscape will eventually be blocked by 1010 Park. 4 buildings, including a 27 and 31 story towers.

Skyscape is behind and to the right of Grant Park.

5th Avenue Gateway (20 stories) just got it's funding in order, and will rise directly in front of Grant Park.

Skyscape will eventually be blocked by 1010 Park. 4 buildings, including a 27 and 31 story towers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When did 5th Avenue Gateway get it's funding?

I thought I was the only one that thought the Panera was Awful!!! I never minded the colonial fron that has been there for years -- I actually thought it was sorta cute -- and I always thought it would make a great restaurant.

But, that gateway they built to the patio is awful. It is a totally different style and obscures the patio and building --making it dark and scary.

"If they had never built the tower, it would have been a very pleasing building."

If they hadn't built the tower there would be no building.

I don't think the tower is the cat's meow or anything but compared to any other existing (not proposed or under construction) towers in the city, what is better? Just curious since I can't think of any that are even good.

True, but you can't even compare Grant Park another tower which is it's contemporary (its the first of the condo boom). You'd have to page back to the 70s and 80s towers, which wasn't necessarily a beacon of esthetics. For 2002 Minneapolis, I just think the design was underpar.

Certainly you can't compare the grant Park tower to a glass one but if i compare it to Loring Green or the Marquette, it just isn't as pleasing -- and those towers are 20 years old. I just think it has too much going on for such a tall building.

I actually don't think the Multi-Foods tower looks all that bad, at least compared to that new jail (the Crossbar Hilton) they build for downtown a couple years ago. Hardly any windows on that big block of cement next to the court house. I walked by that huge rock, and yes indeed it's definitely "affordable" housing! But no, I'm not interested in renting there, thank you very much... :rofl:

MrCoffee

• 1 month later...

Archived