Memphis and Nashville Interstate Systems

Fellowmann20

Which city(Memphis or Nashville) has better commute times and less traffic jams on their interstate systems?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which city(Memphis or Nashville) has better commute times and less traffic jams on their interstate systems?

• Memphis
    • Nashville

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In our opinion the Memphis interstate system is a lot less complex. Nashville has an interstate interchange every couple of miles, and a lot of them are under construction. Also a lot of people in Nashville do not know how to drive. It always seems like they are on the edge of their seats. Although Memphis has a lot of incompleted interstates it is still not as confusing as Nashville's tangle of interstate.

P.S. IF ANY ONE KNOWS HOW TO POST PICTURES PLEASE TELL US.

Memphis or Nashville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In terms of design, I would have to say Nashville. It has the benefit of more total miles and major interchanges that (in my experience) seem to be able to be engineered correctly for their traffic load. Also, no matter where you are in metropolitan Nashville you seem to be fairly close to an interstate (except maybe Sumner County).

Memphis' interstate system suffers from the fact that it was not completed as designed. There are three Memphis interchanges (40/240 east, 40/240 midtown and 55/Crump/Bridge) where the main expressway essentially stops at the interchange and through traffic is forced to use single-lane ramps, designed only for local traffic. However, projects are underway or in planning to fix all three interchanges and once that's done and the I-269 bypass is built, Memphis should have a very efficient system. Once concern is that running I-69 traffic down Midtown 240 and Whitehaven/Southaven 55 will add to congestion there.

I've never seen Memphis's interstate system, but knowing Nashville's, it has to be better. Considering that if you want to continue on I-65 through town, you have to go on I-40, I-25, I-440, and a couple others, I would say it's very messed up. Just my opinion though. I don't drive.

I've never seen Memphis's interstate system, but knowing Nashville's, it has to be better. Considering that if you want to continue on I-65 through town, you have to go on I-40, I-25, I-440, and a couple others, I would say it's very messed up. Just my opinion though. I don't drive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We don't drive either, but we have been to Nashville and it looks like a maze to us.

To us Memphis's interstate isn't so confusing.

Right now I would say Memphis is better because of not being as confusing to drive through as Nashville. If you dont know the roads and the correct lane to be in, you could be on the wrong road and not even know it. The worst part of the Nashville system is the I40/I24 route that runs together through downtown. The state is working hard to fix the system around town, but that section will always be a disaster until the get rid of it. Another problem are the inbound Interstates being widened to 4 or 5 lanes and when you get to downtown you have 2 or 3 interstates merged into 4 lanes. Sorry Nashville, but Memphis is one up on us. The interstate system has been under construction since I came here in 1995. It looks as if there will be road construction here till dooms day.

P.S. IF ANY ONE KNOWS HOW TO POST PICTURES PLEASE TELL US.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you go to reply, click on the "IMG" button above the box where you're writing your message.

A new box appears. Then paste the url into that box and click OK.

I would definitely have to say Memphis. Nashville's connections are great, but its interstate system seems to chop up the entire city. Memphis's interstate system is very similar to those of Houston and Indianapolis. Memphis and Houston have inner loops around the core of the city with stretches that connect downtown and outer loops for access to the suburbs. The only difference is that downtown Memphis isn't in the center of the city. Memphis' outer loop is only half finished, but when TN 385 is finished it will form the outer loop that stretches from Millington to Collierville via a couple of miles through Fayette County. It will eventually become I-269 and will connect with Mississippi through Marshall County with a connection for the future I-22 that will directly connect Memphis and Atlanta. All of which is in progress now.

http://www.i69info.com/memphis.html

TO: TourNashville

I am trying to look at this from an objective standpoint. The Nashville interstate system was designed in the 50's. It is not very well planned at all. If you would take a look at the plan of Nashville, you would see they want to dig the 3 interstates up that run into downtown Nashville and turn them into a tree lined blvd.. As for as not liking to drive, well I have driven well over a million miles and in most every large city in the coutry. I know a disaster when I see one. Another big problem with the interstate here, is the fact that I-440 is too close to the downtown area and 840 is too far out.

the quotes from above just answer this discussion in whole. "memhphis is not as confusing", this is a quote from people who dont like to drive and who do not have a vast knowledge of what an interstate system is suppost to be and how it is suppost to work. go to any major city(except memhis) and you will find a vast interconnecting interstate system that connects you to all major and most minor parts of the city to get people to and from where they need to go. memphis lacks heavily in this area because they "had" a large scale prject that would create a large interstate system to connect the different parts of the city to eachother, but was in turn, never built, and that is very evident when your driving in town, and all of the sudden, the highway turns into a secondary almost immediatly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Outside Memphis' loop the suburban areas are well connected with freeways.

In the early 70's (the re-routing of I-40) it was decided that the use of a freeway to "connect you to all major and most minor parts of the city to get people to and from where they need to go" was an inappropriate use of transportation resources for the innercity (within the loop). In other words, the decision was that freeways aren't needed to take a 5 mile trip within a central city.

I think that decision was farsighted and to Memphis' credit. Plowing I-40 through Overton Park and Midtown would have destroyed at least 2 historic districts and blighted the area.

Additionally, within the loop, Memphis has excellent arterial roads for making those 5 mile trips.

I am trying to look at this from an objective standpoint. The Nashville interstate system was designed in the 50's. It is not very well planned at all. If you would take a look at the plan of Nashville, you would see they want to dig the 3 interstates up that run into  downtown Nashville and turn them into a tree lined blvd.. As for as not liking to drive, well I have driven well over a million miles and in most every large city in the coutry. I know a disaster when I see one. Another big problem with the interstate here, is the fact that I-440 is too close to the downtown area and 840 is too far out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Nashville needed an inner loop extending about 6-7 miles from downtown, with an outer loop closer in than 840.

I am trying to look at this from an objective standpoint. The Nashville interstate system was designed in the 50's. It is not very well planned at all. If you would take a look at the plan of Nashville, you would see they want to dig the 3 interstates up that run into  downtown Nashville and turn them into a tree lined blvd.. As for as not liking to drive, well I have driven well over a million miles and in most every large city in the coutry. I know a disaster when I see one. Another big problem with the interstate here, is the fact that I-440 is too close to the downtown area and 840 is too far out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We agree with you smeagolsfree I-440 is too close to downtown Nashville and I-840 is too far out. :thumbsup:

We agree with you smeagolsfree I-440 is too close to downtown Nashville and I-840 is too far out.  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'd give 840 about 10 years, then see what happens. that area is exploding right now. it's also much faster from murfreesboro to franklin than taking 96. and now those in murfreesboro don't have to drive northwest to nashville so they can drive east to knoxville.

smeagolsfree : the plan of nashville is not a go project, and most likely wont be. it is only as it says "a plan" one of the many propsed, this would deter traffic onto avenues and further complicate things. the only reason people think nashville's interestate systems are messed up is mainly because traffic. yes, this is a problem, and that is why we are fixing it by widening highways and adding more secondaries. this will take care of what people lightly see when they just pass through nash and think they have it all figured out.

Memphis Twins: who is we?

satalac : your right, this area is booming heavily right now, this is why we put 840 "so far out" **rolls eyes, lol, the projected growth in nashville is taking place here, this is to support the traffic in the area that is up and coming.

sleepy : briley loops around north and east of downtowm, 440 takes care of the souther part of town.

sleepy : briley loops around north and east of downtowm, 440 takes care of the souther part of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I know where 440 is--not far enough out to be part of what I considered to be a 6-7 mile inner loop. And to get on 440 from Briley, at least on the west side, requires you to get on I-40 and head east towards downtown which sorta defeats the purpose of a loop.

Lol.

Just now got around to reading the poll language:

"Which city(Memphis or Nashville) has better commute times and less traffic jams on their interstate"

Most likely Memphis since it's not as spread out and has a more utilized public transportation system.

I don't know who's is better or not, or whether 440 is too close or not. But I've been driving these systems a long time now and am perfectly at ease with transitions. I can get where I want when I want with no problems. If there's traffic ahead I choose to avoid, I can jump off the interstate, hop on an arterial and get where I'm going hassle-free. I guess being the road warrior that I am for so long has taught me how to use the system. It's all in knowing how to do it. I get just as confused as anyone else when I'm in other cities and not familiar with the roads. I think we have a great system with 440 looping the south and Briley's looping the north. What appears to be a tangled mess only appears that way to people who really don't quite understand the system. 440 connects three major interstates with an easy 8 mile drive just south of town. It's infinately convenient. One can pick an interstate, go a bit south, catch Old Hickory Blvd. and use that as a more southerly loop. It works well except during peak times...and at those times, interstates don't do much good either. I don't think I'd be too keen on the idea of another freeway cutting through the southern area of Davidson County, it's not necessary and it would further slice up areas that have remained beautiful and pristine.

Let's give this new construction a chance to do what it's designed to do. I think most will consider the changes worth the wait. Road construction is a fact of life in any growing city. The projects here are enormous and will provide huge improvements. I might add that I've been impressed with the fact that I've been able to drive during the whole process without being unduly inconvenienced. TDOT requires open lanes during construction and for the most part, they've lived up to that.

We all want urban growth I think. That is why we are on this forum. The northern section of 840 is indefinately on hold. The southern portion is not too for from completion. There will be a lot more sprawl south of town because of this road, that was the intent of the road to begin with. The state wanted to increase development as an economic boon to the area. As for Briley PW, the norther part of that road could be used as a northern loop. That will not happen until the do the fly over ramps at Briley & I-40. In order to have interstate status the roads must meet federal guidelines. I think this is what is going to happen. They also increased the hight of the James road overpass, which makes me think this as what the State is planning.

smeagolsfree : the briley/40 flyovers have been completed, the only contrsuction in that area right now is the 40 construction where they are widening the highway. It was all over the news about a week ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Only half of the fly overs are finished. there will be 2 more ramps built. One from forty eastbound to Briley, and the other from Briley to 40 westbound. I do not think this has been funded yet. I drive it almost everyday. Briley is not marked as a by-pass around Nashville. I know the route myself , but all the thru traffic is the problem. Ma & PA Kettle from Kansas dosnt know it. For example, when the interstate is down to one lane for construction or a wreck has blocked the Interstate, there is no way around, other than the back roads. If you dont know those you are stuck for the duration. Yes the state is working to fix the problem, but I have seen the city gridlocked because of a wreck at the 40/24/440 interchange. The big problem is the interstate connectors are screwed up. The two busiest stretches of road in the state are in downtown Nashville. The 40/24 route thru Fesslers and 24 going towards 65.

I know the route myself , but all the thru traffic is the problem. Ma & PA Kettle from Kansas dosnt know it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I meant when I said that Nashville could have used a loop further out. There's too much local and through traffic converging downtown it seems.

Archived