Memphis and Nashville Interstate Systems

Fellowmann20

Which city(Memphis or Nashville) has better commute times and less traffic jams on their interstate systems?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which city(Memphis or Nashville) has better commute times and less traffic jams on their interstate systems?

• Memphis
    • Nashville

I have lived and driven in Nashville, Atlanta, Chicago and Los Angeles, and have always found the Nashville interstates as easy to maneuver as any of those cities. The traffic in Nashville is nothing compared to Atlanta and L.A.--w/o a doubt. As far as saying that the city wants to tear the interstates up b/c they are so ineffective is just wrong. You must understand that the Plan of Nashville progresses in stages within a well thought out, slowly developing plan. Sure if you tore up the downtown interstates today it would be a mess. But the plan only suggests doing that after the inner core has truly developed into a 'city of neighborhoods' that depends on mass transit. Only then would boulevards over interstates work. The reason the plan suggests removing the inner core interstates is b/c they were planned with no reguard for the neighborhoods they cut through and ultimately destroyed. Only some of the many ideas in the book will be adopted by the city and actually realized b/c it is really just a book of ideas that really looks to change our idealogy about better, or at least more thoughtful city planning in the future.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashville is getting more votes because the city has more members on this forum. The poll question is which city's interstate system is more efficient. Memphis's loop is obviously more efficient than Nashville's many interchanges and connections. Take a look.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searc...ate=TN&zipcode=

I think we've failed to mention that 40/Briley is not just one location, but two, many miles apart. One, by the airport is far from complete, but getting very dramatic in scope. The other, which just opened is on the other side of town at 40 West. It has amazing ramps 70 feet off the ground and now that it's open, traffic has improved dramatically. On the 40E/Airport side that part of Briley will be 8-10 lanes wide converging with 40 East which at that point will be 10 lanes. No one's even mentioned Ellington Parkway which is accessible from 24 at downtown and runs between Dickerson Road and I-65, a logical alternative to north 65 since Briley and Ellington coverge less than half-mile from I-65 north with major flyover ramps onto 65 which at that point is 14 lanes for a short distance, reducing to 12 at OHB and 10 to Vietnam Veterans Parkway. Speaking of loops, 440 is close in, but it's fine with me in that it begins at 24, passes over 65 and merges on the other end with 40. It's only 8 miles long, but you have three major freeways to take you further south, then you take an arterial such as OHB which is a large multi-lane thoroughfare to find your destination. I can see no use in plowing a major loop into that area except to chop up neighborhoods and screw up the environment out there. Construction is a hassle, but when it's all said and done, Nashville will take the back seat to very few when looking at our overall system of vehicular transportation. People scream for urbanity, then lament the good sense of NOT placing another loop through established neighborhoods for the mere convenience of automobiles and the people who are just speeding through. No thanks.

smeagolsfree : the plan of nashville is not a go project, and most likely wont be. it is only as it says "a plan" one of the many propsed, this would deter traffic onto avenues and further complicate things. the only reason people think nashville's interestate systems are messed up is mainly because traffic. yes, this is a problem, and that is why we are fixing it by widening highways and adding more secondaries. this will take care of what people lightly see when they just pass through nash and think they have it all figured out.

Memphis Twins: who is we?

satalac : your right, this area is booming heavily right now, this is why we put 840 "so far out" **rolls eyes, lol, the projected growth in nashville is taking place here, this is to support the traffic in the area that is up and coming.

sleepy : briley loops around north and east of downtowm, 440 takes care of the souther part of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^_^ Since UrbanPlanet doesn't allow more than one user name and because we only have one computer my twin brother and I go by the Memphis Twins. When we were creating this pole we did it together and went by "we."

:) We will be more than happy to answer any more questions.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IT MEANS WHEN A IMAGE URL IS TOO DYNAMIC?

mandrws1 : and how can you tell, i would like to see the census of the site where it shows nashville has more members on it than those from memphis. it just sounds a little odd to mee seeing how memhis has a larger population than nashville.

it's just dave : i so agree with your points. i completly forgot about elington, and i use it often though. hmm...lol, anyways, it takes much less time to travel the same amount of distance as you would on 65 and it basically takes you to the same places that 65 can.

Memphis Twins : thanks for the explination!!! ;)

There isn't a census, but from many of the posts, it seems to me that Nashville is well represented on urban planet. That wasn't meant to be an excuse because although I'm a native Memphian, I love Nashville too. I'm very proud to be from Tennessee mainly because of Memphis & Nashville (Chatt & Knox too :)) and the many things this state has to offer. But it seems like Nashvillians (I don't know if thats correct) don't give us enough credit.

Nashvillians is correct. Hmm, seems like it would mean villians from Nashville ... well, anyway.

Not giving Memphis enough credit is part of our birthing process. I can't speak for others, but I've truly gained a new appreciation for Memphis since joining these forums. So many of the things I really like about cities exist in Memphis, and I, for one, take many opportunities to dispel some untruths that seems to run rampant. Memphis is a cool place, so close, so different ... I can see a visit in my near future. Many people seem to dwell on the negative. I think if they'd give themselves a chance to explore the postitive sides of the city, they'd change their tunes.

I agree with all here on the fack that many Nashvillians down Memphis & how people in Memphis down Nashville. I took the side of Memphis because I was trying to have an open mind even though I live just outside Nashville. Seems to me we could take a poll and see where everyone is from. I think it is great having an open discussion on subjects, but if vote for either city on any poll, you need to leave your bias alone and try to see the big picture. If you are voting on something and you have never been there or seen it, you should do the research first and then make a decision. Then state the reason why you voted the way you did.

I agree, smeagolsfree. We see polls all the time in which we see votes from people who can't compare because they've never been there. Same goes with many city polls. People vote who've never been in one community or another or haven't been in the recent past. Who can say who's system is better in this one, really. Each community vastly different in topography, layout and such. Where Memphis is flat and begins at the Mississippi and moves east and is served well by the loop(s) and wide arterials, Nashville's roadways have to skirt tall hills which make for a more rambling, random, radiating from the central city layout. I know our system well, and really like it. If we get around well in each of our Tennessee cities, then good for us. I've seen many other states with nothing that can compare to what we both have.

I agree with all here on the fack that many Nashvillians down Memphis & how people in Memphis down Nashville. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surprisingly, there are plenty of people in Memphis who also down Memphis and talk about how much better Nashville is. Their reasons are rarely objective, or fair. I've lived in both cities and I believe both are very different yet have much to offer.

I just wish the average Memphian would appreciate their city as much as the average Nashvillian.

I think locals in any city are the harshest critics of their city.

I've got relatives in Chicago who despise everything about Chicago. New Orleanians constantly put NO down. I've heard people in Minneapolis talk about how their city's turning into a dump. Etc., etc.

When I taught in New Orleans, the constant complaint of students--"there's nothing to do in New Orleans, we wanna go to Houston"!

And of course, all citizens of Memphis, New Orleans, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chicago, Philadelphia will insist that THEIR city is the most politically corrupt, even while bemoaning the corruption.

Nashville is getting more votes because the city has more members on this forum.  The poll question is which city's interstate system is more efficient.  Memphis's loop is obviously more efficient than Nashville's many interchanges and connections.  Take a look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's only efficient if you stay on the loop. I doubt anyone in the traffic backed up halfway across the DeSoto bridge at 5pm anytime in the last few decades would agree with you that the Memphis interstate system is efficient.

it's only efficient if you stay on the loop.  I doubt anyone in the traffic backed up halfway across the DeSoto bridge at 5pm anytime in the last few decades would agree with you that the Memphis interstate system is efficient.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably an easier commute across a large body of water than most places--try the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, or the lone river bridge in downtown New Orleans, etc.

Do you live in West Memphis? Anyway, since 90% of commuting doesn't go to Arkansas anyway, I don't think it's a big factor for most.

• 2 weeks later...

Nashvillians is correct. Hmm, seems like it would mean villians from Nashville ... well, anyway.

Not giving Memphis enough credit is part of our birthing process. I can't speak for others, but I've truly gained a new appreciation for Memphis since joining these forums. So many of the things I really like about cities exist in Memphis, and I, for one, take many opportunities to dispel some untruths that seems to run rampant. Memphis is a cool place, so close, so different ... I can see a visit in my near future. Many people seem to dwell on the negative. I think if they'd give themselves a chance to explore the postitive sides of the city, they'd change their tunes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We agree...........Memphis is downgraded a lot. We have a lot of things to do, especially in downtown, like Mud Island, Beale Street, riverboat rides, main street, the trolly system, many good restruants to eat at, Tom Lee Park, Auto Zone Baseball Park, Fed Ex Forum, even the Pyramid where they are have a motorcycle exibit til November,and don't forget the Peabody Place Hotel and Mall. There are also countless other things to do outside downtown Memphis. :D

• 5 months later...

I would say Nashville's is better if you are driving through, but as mentioned earlier, Memphis's is a little more easy to navigate. The problem I see with Memphis's from a drivers perspective is that you have to go up and around town on I-40 if you are headed to Arkansas. There is no straight through path. Nashville's interstates don't really change direction too much except for at the loop downtown. I guess in a sense I am saying that Memphis's inner loop is "too big" and creates a big obstruction.

If you are going from a "frequently travelled" perspective...Nashville's is much better when it isn't under mass construction (like 6-7 years ago).

P.S. - Thank God Knoxville wasn't on this poll. Thier interstate system is terrible...how many cities under 1,000,000 people have a regular Sunday afternoon traffic jam BOTH in and out of town. :angry:

.S. - Thank God Knoxville wasn't on this poll. Thier interstate system is terrible...how many cities under 1,000,000 people have a regular Sunday afternoon traffic jam BOTH in and out of town.

I agree 100%. The problem there is there is no way around it if you are heading towards I-81. They may get the by-pass built in the next 20 years or so, by the time we have flying cars. Then we will not need it. :lol:

I would say Nashville's is better if you are driving through, but as mentioned earlier, Memphis's is a little more easy to navigate. The problem I see with Memphis's from a drivers perspective is that you have to go up and around town on I-40 if you are headed to Arkansas. There is no straight through path. Nashville's interstates don't really change direction too much except for at the loop downtown. I guess in a sense I am saying that Memphis's inner loop is "too big" and creates a big obstruction.

In the early 70's, interstate 40 was stopped from going straight through Memphis by a citizens group--Friends of Overton Park. The interstate would have plowed through the park and several historic neighborhoods, and would have chewed up midtown pretty badly.

The money that was allocated for interstate 40 was used, instead, to build Memphis' trolley system in the early 90's.

In the early 70's, interstate 40 was stopped from going straight through Memphis by a citizens group--Friends of Overton Park. The interstate would have plowed through the park and several historic neighborhoods, and would have chewed up midtown pretty badly.

The money that was allocated for interstate 40 was used, instead, to build Memphis' trolley system in the early 90's.

I have heard that before, and I think that is a good thing. However, that still makes it harder to navigate.

Cutting across town is easier in Nashville, since you can jump interstates via I-440 and Briley Pkwy.

I prefer Memphis. Its alot easier for me to navigate from each part of town, esp. if I am doing so for the first time. I think its much easier to navigate its primary and secondary non-interstate roadways and keep a clear idea of where your heading within town. In Nashville I can get on the interstate and get all turned around as to where I'm at in relation to the city, ie there is more disconnect of how the parts of town fit together, as a result of that fact I tend to use the Pikes more than the interstates, I learn(ed) more about the city that way.

I don't have much experience with Memphis interstates. It seemed like a big loop to me, but I don't live there. I would imagine I could navigate quite nicely if I knew more about it, but I couldn't tell where I was most of the time I was there. Nashville's not a problem for me. With the inner loop, 440 and Briley Parkway, Ellington, Vietnam Vets all connecting six legs of interstate, and now 840, there's not anyplace I can't get to in short order. I can't compare, but I think our system works well for those who know how to get around. I'm sure it's the same in most cities. If you know where you are and where you're going, navigation is simple. If the interstates are clogged, I've got several contingencies with the arterials.

I've driven both interstates. Nashvilles interstates gives you complete access to most of the major cities in the MSA (Murfessboro, Frankin, Lebanon, Dickson, etc). The only cities Memphis has complete access to is West Memphis, Hernando, and Southhaven. Sommerville is way off to the south of 40, Covington is way off to the north of 40.

However, traffic flow in and around Memphis is better than it is in Nashville. Most people in Nashvilles MSA don't live in Davidson. Davidson has like 600k in the county and that leaves 900k outside of Davidson. Shelby County has 900k people and that leaves 300k out of Shelby. Since most people in Memphis live and work in the same county, the traffic is spread out between roads and interstates. Since most people live and work all over the MSA in Davidson, interstate access is more heavily used. Also Memphis doesn't have to shut down interstates for blasting like Nashville does. If the question was which has easier access i wouldve voted Nashville but since it says less traffic, I voted Memphis.

I agree with your points about the Interstates reaching the major cities in the MSA.

It stands to reason that in cities with flatter terrain and fewer natural barriers, there are more surface options. I've seen this comparison in a grand way between Atlanta and Dallas.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I'm a huge advocate for mass transit, I-40 through Memphis is a mess in 1 word. The rerouting of I-40 onto I-240 was a huge mistake that TDOT is trying to makeup for now with all of the major interchange reconstruction. A great alternative to that would have been the tunnelling of I-40 through the central city to the currrent midtown I-40/240 interchange with ramps to nowhere. I would have preserved the historical districts while still serving the central area the trouble of today. Yes, I do know about the seismic activity around Memphis due to the New Madrid fault, but both LA and SF have tunnels that are work fine and are safe.

Although I'm a huge advocate for mass transit, I-40 through Memphis is a mess in 1 word. The rerouting of I-40 onto I-240 was a huge mistake that TDOT is trying to makeup for now with all of the major interchange reconstruction. A great alternative to that would have been the tunnelling of I-40 through the central city to the currrent midtown I-40/240 interchange with ramps to nowhere. I would have preserved the historical districts while still serving the central area the trouble of today. Yes, I do know about the seismic activity around Memphis due to the New Madrid fault, but both LA and SF have tunnels that are work fine and are safe.

I've heard there was a proposal like that but it was turned down. Extremely expensive and upkeep costs wouldve been astronomical. I honestly think if they built the tunnel, they shouldve built it with 12 lanes or more because construction would be really tough. Also the water wells maybe underground somewhere nearby and the tunnel mightve sunk slowly. The Big Dig in Boston was neccessary because many roads there were from the pre car era and traffic was really bad. Memphis' roads don't have that problem.

The only problem is the signs don't alert people soon enough or some people just aren't paying attention to the signs that tell what lane they should be in. Maybe in the future the Big Dig of Memphis will come up again but not for a long, long time. IMO the loop works just fine if the signs are early and easy to follow.

I would actually like to see them paint signs onto the roads along with the overhead signs.

Archived