Committee leaning toward 4 a.m. last call

bobliocatt

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also from the daily record.

"The Eclate Jazz Club on East Bay street has closed for renovations. No word on when they will reopen and the phone number has been disconnected."

Renovations my arse. Eclate is closing due to utter lack of business. I'm sure people can twist this bit of news into either a pro or con for the 4am ordinance. Personally, I think it helps show that downtown bars need a competitive advantage which a 4am last call would provide.

I think the 4am thing would work if more bars and clubs opened up. Right now, to the best of my knowledge, the late night scene is limited to Twisted Martini and Eclate, which is in the process of "renovating". We need more on the Bay Street Town Center, the Landing, and Adams.

Yea, I went to Eclate like 3 weeks ago on a saturday night and the place was almost completely dead! There were about 15 people, including the bartenders. I think Eclate has totally failed in advertizing and promoting itself to a specific group. I was confused on who they were trying to attract. I mean its called Eclate Jazz Club, but why were they only playing Hip-Hop? I love hip hop to death but it just didnt seem like the right enviroment. PLus that place is way too small to be an actual club. I think it would prfit them more to be a cafe or something along that line. Or maybe they should convert the top floors to a part of the club..just a thought

Also from the daily record.

"The Eclate Jazz Club on East Bay street has closed for renovations. No word on when they will reopen and the phone number has been disconnected."

Renovations my arse. Eclate is closing due to utter lack of business. I'm sure people can twist this bit of news into either a pro or con for the 4am ordinance. Personally, I think it helps show that downtown bars need a competitive advantage which a 4am last call would provide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, they were only open for a little over a year. The last thing they needed was renovations. Imo, they may have been more successful if they were located near the Landing, or near the Burrito Gallery/London Bridge area. Its time we focus on locating these types of uses together (off Adams) so they can breed off of each other. The Bay Street plan is a noble concept, but it will be hard to establish as long as the county courthouse and city hall annex is located across the street. The pattern is already set for Adams and it will be strengthened, as long as Peterbrooke doesn't end up in the Haydon Burns.

^Speaking of Adams, are there any retail spots facing Adams in the Carling?  I walked by, and most of the doors led into a hallway for like residents or something.  There was maybe one actual dedicated retail spot in there.  Any tenants announced?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Carling has a retail "mall" in the interior - mostly on the right-hand side as you face the building on Adams. It will probably turn out very nice; however, I doubt they will be able to lease out "shop" type retial. There's just no market for that downtown yet. I would expect botique/professional offices in the retail space.

As far as clubs go ... how many young people live within, let's say, a two mile radius of downtown? Not freaking many. Much fewer than most downtowns. While downtown's "streetcar" suburbs certainly have some young people, it's not the donimant demographic like most downtowns. Most of our young people live closer to tinsletown and the beaches than downtown. Until that changes, clubs will probably struggle to garner their business. It really doesn't help that UNF is on JTB ... but what can you do? Hence, the southside and beaches are where the nightlife is.

The Carling has a retail "mall" in the interior - mostly on the right-hand side as you face the building on Adams. It will probably turn out very nice; however, I doubt they will be able to lease out "shop" type retial. There's just no market for that downtown yet. I would expect botique/professional offices in the retail space.

As far as clubs go ... how many young people live within, let's say, a two mile radius of downtown? Not freaking many. Much fewer than most downtowns. While downtown's "streetcar" suburbs certainly have some young people, it's not the donimant demographic like most downtowns. Most of our young people live closer to tinsletown and the beaches than downtown. Until that changes, clubs will probably struggle to garner their business. It really doesn't help that UNF is on JTB ... but what can you do? Hence, the southside and beaches are where the nightlife is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent points Captain, especially about UNF. That's just one reason why I wanted to see Coastal Law head downtown.

If the downtown clubs can offer something unique, they can thrive IMO. The primary unique thing to have is a cluster of clubs/bars/restauarants that folks can stroll between. Something similiar to 5 points, but a greater concentration of venues, and not geared to just one demographic.

As for The Carling, it would help if Vestcor accepts a shorter term lease than the 10 year setup they have for 11 E. Maybe they have learned a lesson.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived