Metro Birmingham Projects List

ironchapman

Post any comments or updates on what's being built in Birmingham or its metro here.

I go to the city often (about once a month) because of relatives and I have seen some of the work that's been done on places like the Shelby Biomedical Research Building, so I may bring back some pics of these places every now and then.

Edited by ironchapman

Post any comments or updates on what's being built in Birmingham here.

I go to the city often (about once a month) because of relatives and I have seen some of the work that's been done on places like the Shelby Biomedical Research Building, so I may bring back some pics of these places every now and then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IC I live in Charlotte now, but I am from B'ham. I went this last weekend and I can truly say they are doing a ton of awesome residential in the Highland community. I have always loved that area of town. It is truly a gem in the South. It is unique because of its gorgeous parks and trees and its wonderful location perched among the rolling hills that overlook the dtwn area. It has some really great restraunts, and bars. I love the Garage and Botega's. Really Unique.

BTW, midtown ATL is really blowing up too. I had not been for a few months. I usually go at least once a month for my job, but have I also lived in ATL for a few years. I was there last week on business and they have some really unique skrapers going up. One of them (probably 30-40 stories) looks like it should be in China or Hong Kong. Very Modern. :thumbsup: The GaTech complex is also coming along quite nicely.

These are just some things I found on the internet. I moved to Jacksonville, FL three weeks ago, but my family is still in Birmingham, so hopefully the next time I'm there I will be able to take some pics of these buildings.

City Federal Condos, 1913 downtown landmark,condos and retail space

90 units approx, 190

In Gardendale (in northern metro BHM), there is a project called Caufield Square which has been approved and will see construction begin soon. It will be similar to the Soho Square project in Homewood. Caufield Square will range from 2-3 floors and have retail along the lower level with condos for purchase on the upper level. Also as part of the development, there will be a bowling alley and a movie theater- the first movie theater for northern metro BHM (yes I know it's hard to believe).

In other Gardendale news, work has begun to transform 1,000 acres of undeveloped land that was recently annexed into Gardendale into commercial and residential developments. This is along I-65S just south of the Fieldstown Rd. exit.

$18M condo project in Vestavia Hills

Kaija Wilkinson

Staff

Pending re-zoning approval for four acres on the site of a former soccer field on Old Columbia Road, developers Skip Deupree and Lee Carroll will build an $18 million, 60-condo development called Westminster Vestavia Hills.

Deupree and Carroll are no strangers to condo projects in Vestavia, having broken ground last month on the $8.5 million Dunwoody project.

On Dunwoody, Carroll's company, Carroll Green Group Inc., is general contractor for Deupree and several silent partners.

Deupree and Carroll say 21 of the 30 units at Dunwoody are spoken for, and based on market research, the area has room for similar projects.

"There is a huge empty-nester population in Vestavia that is not going to impact the school system because 40 percent of our units will be one bedrooms," Deupree says, noting that those who reserved units at Dunwoody are primarily home buyers whose children have moved out and started families of their own.

"We've got to provide homes for these people who want to downsize but don't want to leave Vestavia, who don't want to fight the I-65 or 280 jungle."

---The rest can be read here http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stor...27/daily27.html

In northeast metro BHM... New Urbanism development:

Developers plan a quaint community along Cahaba River

Kaija Wilkinson

Staff

June 27 will mark what Hearthstone Properties LLC hopes will be a new era for Trussville, one that will transform a 160-acre stretch of property along the Cahaba River into a quaint paradise resembling neighborhoods of the past.

Developer Barry Stalnaker has tapped the prestigious Miami firm of Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co. to oversee the design of the project. The firm has designed more than 100 such communities throughout the country, such as the one made famous by "The Truman Show," Seaside, Fla.

Members of the firm, including co-founder Andr

Edited by Blazer85

No really huge news here, but just some news that Birmingham Metro is being eyed for several big projects including one within the city limits. Here's an excerpt from the article:

The seven-county Birmingham-Hoover metro area is in the running for several projects, while at least one of the companies is looking in the Birmingham City limits, Wade said. He wouldn't disclose any specifics about the projects.

To read the full article, click here: http://www.al.com/business/birminghamnews/...2700.xml&coll=2

In northeast metro BHM... New Urbanism development:

Developers plan a quaint community along Cahaba River

Kaija Wilkinson

Staff

June 27 will mark what Hearthstone Properties LLC hopes will be a new era for Trussville, one that will transform a 160-acre stretch of property along the Cahaba River into a quaint paradise resembling neighborhoods of the past.

Developer Barry Stalnaker has tapped the prestigious Miami firm of Duany Plater-Zyberk & Co. to oversee the design of the project. The firm has designed more than 100 such communities throughout the country, such as the one made famous by "The Truman Show," Seaside, Fla.

Members of the firm, including co-founder Andr

Hi folks! Newbie here. Thought I would add a few things to the list.

Here are some developments i thought were interesting in the City of Birmingham

lyric25ci.th.png

Fundraising for Lyric Theatre: ONB is

working with Landmarks Inc, which also owns

the Alabama Theatre, to establish a board of

directors to oversee a multi-million dollar

fundraising campaign to renovate this historic

Vaudeville-era theatre (see rendering above).

Birmingham Mayor Bernard Kincaid has included

a $200,000 pledge in his 2006 budget

to help get the effort underway. The restored

theatre will be able to host many of the smaller

acts the Alabama is now forced to turn away.

The Lyric is a key component of the Theatre

District proposed in the City Center Master

Plan.

New Social

Security Building

Plans Shared

at Briefing

ssab2nn.th.png

Officials from the Government Services

Administration and Opus South shared plans

at the May ONB May Breakfast Briefing for

the new Social

Security

Building to be

constructed

on a twoblock

site in

the northwest

section of

downtown

Birmingham.

The state-ofthe-

art building

(see rendering above) will have more than

587,000 square feet of rentable space, have

1765 parking spaces and house more than

2200 workers. It will include amenities such

as a child care center, cafeteria and fitness

center and will also incorporate the latest in

security and safety designs mandated by the

federal government. It will also include

Brasfield & Gorrie wraps 1, starts 3 more at UAB

Brasfield & Gorrie LLC won't be leaving the University of Alabama at Birmingham campus anytime soon, despite the company's recent completion of a four-story buildout for UAB's Justice Science department. UAB has awarded the Birmingham construction company three new projects.

For the rest of the story, read here: http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stor...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Edited by Blazer85

Birmingham group would convert vacant Pizitz into housing

alapizitz6ku.jpg

By Michael Tomberlin

The Birmingham News

Sloss Real Estate Group is finalizing a plan to buy the vacant Pizitz department store and put as many as 100 homes there, a project that could accelerate the pace of downtown redevelopment projects.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/NEWSV5...5onpizitz20.htm

Big News: The Birmingham News has broken

ground on its new office building at the corner

of 4th Ave N and 23rd St. The

handsome new structure designed by

Williams-Blackstock Architects will sit

on the site of the parking lot directly

across from the current building.

Employees have moved their cars to

the City deck at 23rd St., and 4th

Ave N.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did the old brick BN building get torn down as part of this? I thought that was part of their original plan.

Inverness condo projects clear planners

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

DAWN KENT

News staff writer

The Hoover Planning and Zoning Commission on Monday approved plans for 243 condominiums to be built in the Inverness community in separate projects near U.S. 280 in Shelby County.

The projects include an eight-story building on the site of the existing Inverness Country Club and a four-story building behind Inverness Corners Shopping Center.

Both developments are set to include condominiums with prices of $300,000 or more.

For the rest of the story, continue here: http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde...2310.xml&coll=2

You must not forget that the Cabana Hotel renovation is set to being soon which in my opinion carries almost the same level of importance as renovating City Federal. Another important project is that UAB bought the old Sears building and is renovating it to relocate their business incubator program. Both of these are very important projects.

Northern Metro BHM:

1,000 acres that Gardendale recently annexed will become:

-216 acres of R-G zoning garden homes

-335.5 acres of R-2 single family (homes)

-44 acres R-4 zoning apartments

-290.50 acres institutional

-92 acres C-2 commercial

*The Inst-1,C-2 and R-4 will be along I-65. The R-2 borders Shady Grove and along a proposed road from Shady Grove to the West of I-65.