Metro Birmingham Projects List

ironchapman

^ Pretty much... it's not a matter of if though. It is being built. The only section that remains purely a proposal right now is a section extending the east end of the Northern Beltline down to I-20. The Northern Beltline will likely carry the name I-459 (just like the southern half of the beltline), but since it doesnt line up to make an exact loop, it MAY not carry the I-459 name. I-459 is actually used more by local people than it is passers-through. Essentially, the Northern Beltline will give the northern suburbs more connectivity and more visibility. The Northern Beltline is expected to be as much an economic development project as it is a transportation project. It is expected to create a similar boom in the northern suburbs as what was seen in the southern suburbs after I-459 was built. I-22 will also encourage development in the north and northwestern areas of Jefferson Co.

I really, really despise this northern beltline abomination. The last thing that Birmingham needs is another major incentive to increase suburban sprawl. The suburbs have been subsidized enough, it's time to focus on the urban core and real needs like transit. This thing will increase the traffic problem over time and draw more people out of the city.

^ Dont really agree. Birmingham DOES need this to make downtown traffic a little more manageable for the average driver. Do you have ANY idea the problems we have when one of the bridges at malfunction junction is knocked out (as has happened twice in the past few years)? The Northern Beltline gives all kinds of relief to problems at malfunction junction in general.

I think the Northern Beltline will act a bit like a magnet by drawing alot of the sprawl back up from the southern suburbs back up through downtown and to the northern suburbs. I'd rather Birmingham be more balanced out between north and south rather than continuing to grow southward and southward. Something needs to stop the southward sprawl, and the northern beltline is part of the solution to that problem. Birmingham can still continue to focus on the urban core, but let's not think that this is pulling resources from another area. This has been on drawing board a long time and it has federal dollars behind it... not local. It is only fair to the northern suburbs and northern and western reaches of downtown Birmingham for the Northern Beltline to be built.

I dont think it's wise to let the population continue southward further and further. This is as much about Jefferson County as a whole as it is about downtown Birmingham. It is an economic development tool. I would rather our suburban population be centered all around the city... not like an unbalanced wheel with all of our suburban population to the south of the city. BTW, the Northern Beltline will likely draw more people from southern suburbs than it will draw from downtown residents. I'm all for urban revitalization and building up the urban core, but this is very good for Birmingham and Jefferson County overall. I've heard little to no criticism from Birmingham city leaders. But it doesnt matter whether it should or shouldnt happen, because it's already been decided that it will be built.

Edited by Blazer85

A couple more projects in Metro BHM:

Ross Bridge Resort and Spa- $65-million, 4-star luxury resort next to Oxmoor Valley Robert Trent Jones Golf Course in the Hoover area(Bruno's Memorial Classic moving from Greystone to Ross Bridge). As part of the development, there will also be a resort town of up to 2,400 residents and over 1,000,000sqft of retail and commercial space.

photo_large_19.jpg

Bass Pro Shop -$75-million Bass Pro Shop is planned for the Leeds area. The 108 acre mixed-use development will include an outdoor nature park and a 250-unit hotel.

Colonial Pinnacle at Tutwiler Farms -$70-million retail development of nearly 500,000sqft in the Trussville area. Expected completion is October of 2006.

Colonial Promenade at Alabaster -$75-million retail development of 800,000sqft in the Alabaster area. Expected completion is October of 2005.

Major Metro BHM Residential Projects

Rank Residential Development Build-Out Units County

1 Liberty Park 2,000 Jefferson

2 Highland Lakes 1,858 Shelby

3 Riverwoods 1,700 Shelby

4 Hillsboro 1,600 Shelby

5 Old Cahaba 1,600 Shelby

6 Carrington 1,500 Jefferson

7 Grands View 1,400 Shelby

8 Lake Cyrus 1,100 Jefferson

9 Ross Bridge* 1,178 Jefferson

10 Brocks Gap 1,080 Jefferson

11 Weatherly 1,000 Shelby

12 Brook Highlands 961 Shelby

13 Chapel Hills 900 Jefferson

14 Deerfoot 870 Jefferson

15 Waterford 800 Shelby

16 Forest Lakes 675 Shelby

17 The Preserve 650 Jefferson

18 Furnace Creek 650 Tusc / Jeff

19 Leston Farms 650 Jefferson

20 Narrows 600 Shelby

21 Forest Parks 572 Shelby

22 Lake Forest 500 Shelby

23 Mt. Laurel 500 Shelby

24 Fox Hollow 500 Saint Clair

25 Grand River 400 Jefferson

26 Longmeadow 400 Jefferson

Edited by Blazer85

Bayer, the developer of The Summit lifestyle center, has announced plans for a 200-300 unit luxury hotel in the phase of the project. They have indicated that there may even be room for an additional hotel. The luxury hotel planned for phase IV is expected to be completed by 2007. No word yet on the number of floors.

Blazer, I realize that the northern beltline is a done deal and has been for a while. I-459 drove most of the massive southward movement from the mid-80s onward, and the northern beltline will likely have the same impact. I doubt it will have much impact on the southern sprawl area, it will likely finish off Pinson, Center Point, Hueytown and such areas. The older areas, Wylam, Ensley, Woodlawn etc. will stay dead for years to come and the dead zone will extend to the older auto suburbs like Center Point.

Birmingham has sprawled further than much larger Boston already, and it will only get worse. The other 3 major cities in AL are on the same path. ALDOT doesn't do transit.

Glad to see the Cabana is set for renovation.  Why would they can the dirigible mooring mast?  That's a big part of what makes the building interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know... I think they didnt understand the history of it or much about it. Hopefully after hearing about it and its historic value, they'll keep it.

Blazer, I realize that the northern beltline is a done deal and has been for a while.  I-459 drove most of the massive southward movement from the mid-80s onward, and the northern beltline will likely have the same impact.  I doubt it will have much impact on the southern sprawl area, it will likely finish off Pinson, Center Point, Hueytown and such areas.  The older areas, Wylam, Ensley, Woodlawn etc. will stay dead for years to come and the dead zone will extend to the older auto suburbs like Center Point.

Birmingham has sprawled further than much larger Boston already, and it will only get worse.  The other 3 major cities in AL are on the same path.  ALDOT doesn't do transit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. I know MANY people that considered relocating to northern suburbs, but instead opted to move to southern suburbs because property values are higher, more retail options, and better transit among other things. I really think the northern beltline will pull more from southern suburbs than downtown residents. People in the southern suburbs are getting tired of the traffic nightmares, but some are determined not to live downtown, so they'll move to the quieter, smaller northern suburbs in hopes of getting in on the ground floor. You'll always have your folks that prefer the suburbs. IMO, you might as well have a more balanced suburban population around the perimeter of your city. Not only this, but the more development north of Birmingham, the better we'll be taking advantage of all the open, undeveloped land in Northern Jefferson Co. I never said the northern beltline would be great for the city of Birmingham persay, but it IS good for Jefferson Co. and Metro BHM overall.

Fairly minor news here, but it is in Metro BHM and I am the self-appointed authority on the northern suburbs of BHM (particularly Gardendale). :D

Construction is getting ready to begin on a Microtel Inn near the Walmart SuperCenter in Gardendale. Fairly significant for the city of Gardendale because it will be just the city's 2nd motel/hotel (the other being a Best Western). There are many hotels in BHM and southward, but not terribly many on the north side of the metro area. Number of units or floors is unknown at this time.

Dcp_0005.jpg

In other Gardendale news, a new Jack's [hamburger franchise for those that dont know] will open tomorrow (July 26th) at the Mt. Olive Rd. exit off of I-65.

Edited by Blazer85

Thanks for the pic on Cabana. Now I know why I dont remember the mast - it was covered up. This should definitely be restored, in my opinion, and perhaps the sign at the top of the building could be toned down. It looks like an ego thing - is this the developer's last name?

And, can anyone cite an article on the proposed Westin Grand Bohemian downtown? Or is this a rumor?

As far as the Leer Tower name, yes... it is the developers last name. The site for it is www.leertowercondos.com so you can check it out. They are based out of California and have several other properties there ... and most of those properties have Leer in the name too :lol:

As far as the Westin Grand Bohemian, there's no article that mentions them specifically I dont believe. There are several that mention "luxury hotel" though and it is proposed for the Birmingham Board of Education site. If the city and board can reach an agreement, it's basically a done deal. It's more than a rumor, but if the involved parties cant cooperate, it may as well be.

Long-vacant church in the Lakeview District to be converted to condos. 

27695908_85d30358cf_m.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Blazer85, the CC: Attribution Non-Commercial license requires that you credit me with this photo, and include a copy of or reference to the license terms. No harm done, just a heads up (since this board seems to be policing copyright violations).

The original, by the way, can be found here on flickr.

Edited by Dystopos

A couple updates on metro road construction projects...

I-22 (Corridor X): I-22 will be open from the MS state line to Jasper by Thanksgiving. Soon, people driving on I-65 will be able to see land being cleared and earth being moved in preparation for work on the final segment. Corridor X should be complete by 2011.

I-65 in Shelby County: Two lanes will soon be added to the interstate from the Shelby County Airport to Valleydale Road (GREATLY needed).

I-459/280 flyover: Work should begin by November, or at the latest early next year.

Northern beltline: It will be at least 18 months before work can begin on the road that is planned to complete the loop around Birmingham begun by I-459.

Edited by Blazer85

Actually, the story is here. It was NOT reblogged from www.bjf.org (that was a different story mentioned elsewhere in the TechBirmingham Blog). The incubator story first appeared in the TechBirmingham newsletter here. Just thought I'd clarify that.